User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help understanding

My '04 350z was hit in the right rear back in March. I was pulling out of a gas station and stopped at the exit to await clear access to highway. I had my brake on and watching the left traffic when I was moved forward and heard a crash. This person was trying to drive around me to exit on my right when he/she hit me on the right rear. It bent the metal just above the wheel well and the gas lid would not sit flush with the car panel. The car was put into the body shop to repair & paint but my biggest concern was the tire and what damage it sustained. The body shop sub contracted my car to another shop that said the tire was "fine" no damage and that they did align all 4 wheels. The car has been vibrating since then at high speeds but not notice anything until last Friday when I drove in heavy rain and almost lost control of the car. My son looked at the tires from behind and had me move forward very slow. The entire tread has been worn off the inside of the right tire down to the thread. I took it back to the insurance company and back to the body shop. I requested that it be taken to the dealer to recheck it for damage. Diagnostics found I have a bent spindle and need hub and barrings replaced on the right rear. Insurance adjsuter says it is not from the accident becasue the original company did an alignment. Dealer says alignment can not be done now. Could it have been bent and still get a decent alignment but after 5 months driving on it made it un-alignable now? I have pictures of the tires and rims 2 days before the accident and now. My tread vanished and you can easily see I had lots of tread on my back tires. Both tires wore on the inside evenly but the outside of the tire still looks like it has good tread. The right tire is the only one that is down to the thread on the inside, the outside has good tread. Please help me. Body shop says that he doesn't want to upset the sub shop and he stands behind his alignment. How can this be....that is the ONLY time my car has been in any type of damage situation???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would think that the body shop and the insurance company (the other driver's I presume?) would be responsible. I think you should have made an issue of the high-speed vibration immediately but that is neither here nor there at this point. An alignment can always be "performed" on a bent suspension but of course, it will not truly be "aligned" properly. I know the body shop I use has a lifetime guarantee on all of their work - how about yours? that would also cover anything they subbed out to another shop. If I were you , I would be raising hell! GL

Hotchkis Z1 Motorsports JWT Hawk SSR Crawford
ZeeToyz Valentine Sumitomo Royal Purple Zaino

I like my 350 but I love my 300ZX TT more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement