Trying to figure out offsets and compatibility... - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Trying to figure out offsets and compatibility...

I'm trying to find compatible rims/tires to use on my 2008 350z Grand Touring so I can find some used winter tires/wheels. There's a few sets of G35/G37 wheels/tires on ebay now but they are all offset of 45mm. Does that mean they'll rub on the inside and be sunk in too much?

The stock rims are offset 34mm I think (or 30mm)... I'd say if I can find some rims that are offset 40mm at the most, I should be ok, right?

I really don't want to buy new wheels/tires (minimum of $1150 from tirerack)... I need to figure out what specs I can settle on to find a used set for a 350z/370z or G35/G37... but it seems all the G35/G37 rims out there are offset 44 or 45mm.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 03:06 AM
Grand Touring Member

If you want to re-use your current tires then your looking for an 8" front wheel and a 8.5" rear wheel.

You'll want to to look for an offset around the low 20 mark for a flush look.

Personally if your spending the money on rims - wait and save until you need tires. Then buy a better/wider set than what your looking at now so you can reuse stock tires.

2003 LeMans Sunset Touring Coupe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Grand Touring Member

Can you be a bit clearer on what you want to do?

Do you want a second set of OEM-sized wheels for winter tires, and keep your existing wheels with summer tires?

Or are you looking at upsizing the summer wheels and tires, and using your existing wheels for winter use?

If it's the former, I'm with Aust350z. Wait until your existing tires die, then get a set of fat wheels for summer use and run the OEM rims in the winter. I realise its going in to winter over there, so if you do have to swap over then see if you can sell the existing tires (or tie them to a tree and use them as a swing).

Also, don't go a higher offset than stock if you're talking about winter wheels. It effectively increases the spring rate, and the last thing you want is less suspension compliance in low-grip conditions.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Grand Touring Member

Can you be a bit clearer on what you want to do?

Do you want a second set of OEM-sized wheels for winter tires, and keep your existing wheels with summer tires?

Or are you looking at upsizing the summer wheels and tires, and using your existing wheels for winter use?

If it's the former, I'm with Aust350z. Wait until your existing tires die, then get a set of fat wheels for summer use and run the OEM rims in the winter. I realise its going in to winter over there, so if you do have to swap over then see if you can sell the existing tires (or tie them to a tree and use them as a swing).

Also, don't go a higher offset than stock if you're talking about winter wheels. It effectively increases the spring rate, and the last thing you want is less suspension compliance in low-grip conditions.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
ahh yes, I need to put together a winter-only set of rims/tires. SO it sounds like I need to find something with a 30mm offset. I was hoping to find some cheapo steel rims but havnet' found any. Are there any other cars I could search for with compatible wheels? The G35 has 40 or 45mm offset so it won't work.

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Grand Touring Member

What about another set of stock 350z wheels then? Guaranteed to fit and should be able to pick something up with with tyres on.

I've assumed condition isn't really an issue (ie: gutter-rashed) if your talking cheap steelies so you should be able to pick up a bargain I would have thought.

Gives you the option of searching for the 17", 6-spoke 18" and your 5-spoke 18"s.

2003 LeMans Sunset Touring Coupe

Last edited by aust350z; 12-15-2011 at 10:18 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnRock View Post
ahh yes, I need to put together a winter-only set of rims/tires. SO it sounds like I need to find something with a 30mm offset. I was hoping to find some cheapo steel rims but havnet' found any. Are there any other cars I could search for with compatible wheels?
The thing is, most modern OEMs have gone to higher offsets (probably since it produces less load on wheel bearings, as well as certain other suspension differences). It's hard to find modern cars with reasonably low offsets.

If you're still running OEM Brembos then the OEM 17" wheels will clear the brakes. Being that small, they don't tend to go for very much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement