User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New G35 Coupe Owner

Always wanted a G35. Ive been an owner for 2 months now and love the car. The previous owner wasnt honest, so of course I have issues with the car. I purchased from the father of the owner because the son was in jail. The father told me work was done in beggining of year and has receipts. Pics will be added I only have a few from when I purchased, but have done minor work since.
The Okay:
Manual with new clutch stage 3 but dont know what brand
~Used engine with 110k installed in may
~Bose stereo
~old alpine head unit
~ header back exhaust system
~stillen intake
~ carbon fiber engine cover
~ fake bbs wheels in almost new shape 18"
~ carbon fiber shifter and carbon fiber around shifter
~ aftermarket headlights with HID
~ reverse camera
~ tinted tail lights
~ drilled and slotted rotors front and back on car, plus new in box pair for front
~ Roach (Blunt) in back ash tray that was kicking on hot days. I smelled it everytime i got in car after buying and couldnt figure it out... The vents need cleaning, when heat is on the smell comes through still. I know longer smoke so yes its an issue...
~ New tires

I purchased a stereo with bluetooth, and all the goodies needed for this day in age.
After driving for a few weeks, I ran into a few issues which i expected to i mean it is a used car and had 167k

Minor: A/C refill, 1 ballast went bad, wrong battery, passenger side bumper not secure to hold up, wheel well gone, was told the check engine light was from bad 02 sensor. The car drove very nice i could not see any issues and was parked in the grass away from other vehicles.

The ugly:
3 wheels have been cracked and welded back together. Kept getting a flat to find out the wheels have been welded and one of the welds cracked, thats where my leak was from. I got two universal wheels from an old car that fit and pit in rear for now.
- oil leak started about 2 weeks after buying, looks like coming from valve cover.
- replaced 02 for the light to still be on, got scanned and valve cam solenoids 1 and 2 come up... I take the engine cover off to find the 2 solenoid wires not plugged in, just laying under the cover... I know little about the car and do some research. To find out the original engine was a rev up and the shop purchased and installed the wrong engine. I called the shop from number on receipts, They spoke broken english which did not help much. The new engine is not a rev up, so know place to plug wires into and check light still turns on everytime i start car. They are not cheap either....
- The exhaust manifold on driver side was beat up to fit the steering column
- The exhaust from what it looked like was a motordyne shock wave. After getting on lift and inspecting is a spec d.
I really thought the man was being honest when he went over the car and told me what was going on with it. I have taken the car to school and this is where i found a lot of stuff out.

I have a family and pay bills, plus go to school to be a mechanic so funds are not there to just drop and fix everything. I purchased a cheap scanner to check the cel and clear for time being.

I am pissed and now stuck, so weighing my options... any help is much appreciated...
Get ecu and wire harness and build motor that is in car or get original motor and build... from what I have read the de motor is not the best so I would not be loosing out if i build the motor.

I will add pics...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Welcome and that's quite a first post. Congrats on your new G and it sounds like the father of the kid in jail might not have known much about this car. Hope you bought it at a good price, but otherwise, caveat emptor.

While I don't know what you've heard, the Infiniti VQ35DE is a fine engine. It's won multiple Ward's powertrain awards over the years and has proven strong, reliable and efficient if maintained properly. The Rev up variation was produced for only a short time and has a reputation of being an oil-burner, so I'd stick with the DE you already have.

Sounds like you're in the right place to learn about and fix the engine and ancillary systems in your G. Rather than being pissed, consider what satisfaction you'd get by restoring this G to its original condition and getting it back to the running condition it deserves.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry if too long, but I wanted to get the full issue out. I added a quick break down on another page and know one answered. I thank you for the quick response. It is always a good feeling to get feed back. I have been researching and am pleased to know the engine is a keeper. I found stage 3 rebuild kit on z1 motorsport, which consist of weisco pistons,je rods, arp head studs with gaskets for 1800. From there im thinking about supercharger over twin turbo... What are most people using for tuning? I would like to learn how to tune myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Grand Touring Member

UpRev Osiris for tuning is still the gold standard for tuning.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:47 PM

DE Rocks With Right Parts & Tune

Hey brother no worries. I've been building my 04 6MT/DE Coupe on a budget for years. It's a great motor, a serious rocketship. I've raced nearly everything including v8's and done very well, always made a good competitive race. I'd go to all the best parts outlets and sign up on their email list so when they get to the end of a run they'll have blow-out sales. I got, my Stillen Flywheel, Z1 clutch, and StopTech Rotors half price that way.

Here are some tips for budget power building, these are expert-proven parts, not expensive and work well together. All recommended by Fontana Nissan Race Team:
1-Intake. I have Injen, but any quality intake will work well.
2-NWP 75 MM Throttle Body-great power increase, especially at high RPM $350 bucks and worth every penny.
3-Plenum spacer, there are many, most will work well. Some better than others but not that much better so you can buy a less expensive one and still gain power, I have the Motrodyn.
4-Fontana Nissan Race Team recommended I add a Motordyne MREV2 lower intake manifold. I haven't yet, and I'm not missing it.
5-You've already got headers and exhaust, just be sure you've replaced the stock y-pipe as it's a serious bottle-neck.
6-Test pipes might be an option for you, not me, I'm in CA.
7-BE SURE YOU GET A TUNE! With all these parts the car will run lean, hot and could detonate and damage your engine so get a quality tune. Don't ask your tuner for peak HP, this set up and DE engine is capable of pulling hard and smooth from 3,500-7,000 RPM safely all day long. Ask the tuner for that and you'll be all smiles on the road. Peak HP doesn't = acceleration which is what turns fast lap times.
8-Check and be sure your oil pump is not the old DE, it's weak and could cause you problems. If it is, unfortunately, you'll need to upgrade that to the uprev oil pump which can be found OEM new at Z1 Motorsports pretty reasonably priced.
9-Lightweight flywheel & clutch kit rocks! The difference is pretty big.
10-Probably need an Accusump oiling solution if you're gonna bang hard on the car in the turns, it will lose oil flow to the pickup, not OK.
11-Energy Suspension bushings will maintain wheel alignment in high-speed turns creating a lot of stability, and it will increase your corner entry speed significantly and an entire set is like 30 bucks.
Removing the old bushings on your control arms isn't easy, but this is a really cheap way to significantly improve handling.
That's as far as I've gotten on my G, good luck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Grand Touring Member

Sounds like you're in So Cal and the next step should be taking your car to the track (Willow Springs, Cal Speedway, etc.) to improve your driving skills. Glad you're enjoying your G, and that superlative VQ engine! Whaddya think of it now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement