User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First post, thought I might tap the collective knowledge of the Z Tech forums as I got a G Coupe a few months back and I'm just now starting to get the itch to upgrade things. Been looking at the Stillen coupe dual exhaust as it looks fairly easy to install. OK, by easier to install, I mean it appears not to need any welding, i.e. bolt-on, which would be significantly easier for me.

Anyways, curious if any of you had one for yourself or knew of a friend or whatever who did, what you/they thought about it, ease of installation, change in exhaust note, any power gains or losses, appearance, dual wall tips or the ZR single wall tips...

Stillen G35 Coupe Dual Exhaust for 03-07 2DR

Or how bout you've had one and hated it, got a better recommendation? Let 'em fly.. :-)

Oh BTW, I got lots more questions. I just hope there's enough traffic in this section to get the responses I'm looking for. I might just have to post it over in the Z side as they make the same thing for the 350... we shall see!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Base Member

QUOTE (The_Ref @ Nov 8 2008, 08:47 AM)
Quote:
First post, thought I might tap the collective knowledge of the Z Tech forums as I got a G Coupe a few months back and I'm just now starting to get the itch to upgrade things. Been looking at the Stillen coupe dual exhaust as it looks fairly easy to install. OK, by easier to install, I mean it appears not to need any welding, i.e. bolt-on, which would be significantly easier for me.

Anyways, curious if any of you had one for yourself or knew of a friend or whatever who did, what you/they thought about it, ease of installation, change in exhaust note, any power gains or losses, appearance, dual wall tips or the ZR single wall tips...

Stillen G35 Coupe Dual Exhaust for 03-07 2DR

Or how bout you've had one and hated it, got a better recommendation? Let 'em fly.. :-)

Oh BTW, I got lots more questions. I just hope there's enough traffic in this section to get the responses I'm looking for. I might just have to post it over in the Z side as they make the same thing for the 350... we shall see!
I've got an '06 Z and had the Stillen true dual exhaust installed about 7 or 8 months ago. I love it. I'll try to hit your questions in order:

Installation:
From what I understand, Stillen has a very high quality of fitment - one of the best out there. I haven't heard of any issues or special difficulties regarding their exhaust. I wouldn't worry about this one.

Change in exhaust note:
The new sound retains the VQ note, but enhances it by adding bass, volume, and general depth. It's slightly louder, a noticeable amount deeper, but doesn't alter the sound tremendously. It's a lot more audible at lower RPMs than stock, and when you really get on it, it sounds a lot meaner. Personally, when I got the exhaust, I was extremely satisfied. I remember thinking, "this is what my car should have sounded like from the beginning."
Here's a video I made, showing a comparison of the two. However, even in high quality mode, it's a bit difficult to get a full feel for how full the sound is.

Power gains or losses:
Definite gain in power. While I didn't dyno before and after, I did perform a couple of before and after races with my brother's G35 coupe and saw some significant results. He didn't want to race me after that - said the outcome was already decided and he didn't want to embarrass himself. A notable amount of pull in the lower RPMS that extends throughout the power band. Generally a very solid power gain all around.

Appearance:
Personally, I love the look. With the stock exhaust being that bland black with shiny tips, the new look is cool. It's not terribly noticeable, but people who know anything about your car will know that you have a different exhaust. The tips don't have that slight curve back that the stock exhaust tips do, which is probably the only thing I don't love about the Stillen exhaust. Nonetheless, it still looks fantastic and shiny. I opted for the dual wall and didn't regret the decision. The sound for the two is identical, so you don't lose anything there - it's purely aesthetic. Personally, the dual wall looks more refined while the single wall (which I have since seen in person), is a bit cheap looking in my opinion.

Overall:
It's a great purchase if you have the money. The Stillen exhaust is a bit on the pricey side, but well worth it. To top it all off, the customer service they provide is incredible - friendly, knowledgeable, professional, and called me a month later to see how I liked it.

Hope this helps.

2006 350Z Enthusiast (6MT)
| VORTECH V3 Supercharger, 2.87" Pulley | STILLEN Headers | MOTORDYNE: MREV2, 5/16" Spacer, ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX V2 Exhaust | Much, much more... | 413whp 340wtq |
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Naga,

Dude, that is an insanely helpful and well-written post, TY! I've really been looking thru the forum to see all the different topics being discussed, pitfalls (the oil consumption problem looks like a real bitch, happily I appear to be OK in this regard) and doing general research; knowing what I know now I prolly should have posted this in the Performance > Intake & Exhaust section, so I really appreciate the reply.

I was leaning toward the single wall tips 'cause they appear to have the slant like stock you mentioned but I do like the look of the dual wall like stock as well; good food for thought. Could always cut 'em off and get different ones, but that goes back to the welding thing..

I'm kinda hesitant to pull the trigger on this particular mod yet 'cause of the price; looks like I can get some good gains with an intake plenum spacer for 1/6th the cost. But I'll have to get to it eventually, along with headers. I'm looking to keep things paired up so if I get a cat-back exhaust, I'd also like to get headers and less restrictive cats from the same manufacturer, which Stillen has. My line of thinking is that the mod maker prolly tests and tunes their products using, well uh, their own products. Do you know of any other manufacturer that has the exhaust trifecta: headers, cats and cat-back exhaust?

Lastly, instead of asking you what changes I should do first (seen a few in other sections), let me ask you this: What mods have you done and in what order?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Base Member

QUOTE (The_Ref @ Nov 11 2008, 07:19 PM)
Quote:
Naga,

Dude, that is an insanely helpful and well-written post, TY! I've really been looking thru the forum to see all the different topics being discussed, pitfalls (the oil consumption problem looks like a real bitch, happily I appear to be OK in this regard) and doing general research; knowing what I know now I prolly should have posted this in the Performance > Intake & Exhaust section, so I really appreciate the reply.

I was leaning toward the single wall tips 'cause they appear to have the slant like stock you mentioned but I do like the look of the dual wall like stock as well; good food for thought. Could always cut 'em off and get different ones, but that goes back to the welding thing..

I'm kinda hesitant to pull the trigger on this particular mod yet 'cause of the price; looks like I can get some good gains with an intake plenum spacer for 1/6th the cost. But I'll have to get to it eventually, along with headers. I'm looking to keep things paired up so if I get a cat-back exhaust, I'd also like to get headers and less restrictive cats from the same manufacturer, which Stillen has. My line of thinking is that the mod maker prolly tests and tunes their products using, well uh, their own products. Do you know of any other manufacturer that has the exhaust trifecta: headers, cats and cat-back exhaust?

Lastly, instead of asking you what changes I should do first (seen a few in other sections), let me ask you this: What mods have you done and in what order?

Thanks again!
No problem.

I can't think of any other manufacturer with the exhaust trifecta off the top of my head. I tend to see a lot of people just mix and match. One of the best sounding mixes that I've heard was a Borla TD Exhaust and Stillen High Flow Cats setup.

For my car, I went with a JWT Popcharger to start. I then took a hit in the wallet and went with the Stillen TD Exhaust. Then, a few months ago, I got the Stillen High Flow Cats. Honestly, the biggest change in sound came with the HFCs. It changed the attitude of the car completely. Much louder, a slight rasp at 3300rpm, and generally a very raw sound. It sounds very mean now.

I was in a bit of a unique situation, as my Nissan dealer here in town trusts Stillen so much that they actually cover Stillen products under warranty. I actually had them install all of that. Again, it's a bit of a unique situation, and they're a great dealer, so that's had a bit of an influence on my choices of mods. I'm holding off on doing anything that they wouldn't cover, and I'm not sure I can get myself to. However, if I was going to get another set of mods it would be this: Stillen Headers, Motordyne 5/16 Spacer & MREV2 Plenum, and Cobb Tuning Accessport (ECU mod). That right there is the complete list of mods that I want. I'm not sure when that will happen or if it really will. For now, though, I'm really happy with my current setup.

| VORTECH V3 Supercharger, 2.87" Pulley | STILLEN Headers | MOTORDYNE: MREV2, 5/16" Spacer, ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX V2 Exhaust | Much, much more... | 413whp 340wtq |
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to jetpilot718
Dude do it. I've got a Stillen TD on my Z, and the sound is pure sex. Put it to ya this way, I get compliments from my buddies that drive Stangs! They wish their cars sounded like this, with the combination of JWT pop charger, Pure plenum spacer and Stillen TD, the sound is simply incredible.

DO IT. Trust me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Wow, you guys are convincing. I think I'm going to start putting a little extra cash in the piggy bank so I can get a set ASAP. Though I still might cave and get the MREV2 + 5/16 spacer first... ugh, decisions decisions... Again, thank you both for the good info. See ya 'round the forums!

TR

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Base Member

QUOTE (The_Ref @ Nov 16 2008, 10:48 AM)
Quote:
Wow, you guys are convincing. I think I'm going to start putting a little extra cash in the piggy bank so I can get a set ASAP. Though I still might cave and get the MREV2 + 5/16 spacer first... ugh, decisions decisions... Again, thank you both for the good info. See ya 'round the forums!

TR
No problem. Just glad to help. Welcome to the forums!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement