Couple Questions about the 350z - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
ok, if i can get an internship where i work, i will probably look for a new car and a Z is one of my top choices (daytona blue or black coupe on a 6-speed of course) so i figured i'd ask a few questions, so bare with me.

are there any common maintenance issues with these cars?

my buddy that does sct custom tuning and who works on mustangs tuned my 04 mustang and when i told him i was lookin at this car to upgrade to by the beginning of next year, he told me that i would be wishing i never wanted this car. he told me that the cost for replacing parts and doin work on these cars was about 3x as much as my stang, is this true?

i've also read in the G35 coupe books that their 3.5 is one of the best engines in the world. exact quote is "Ranked by 'Ward's' as one of the '10 best engines' in the world, eleven years in a row........." so whats the difference between the G36 v6 and the 350z v6, both are dohc 3.5's that put out the same hp/tq. is there an internal difference that just makes it better or not?

what are some popular options for these cars? are there performance upgrades for these cars? the only option i really see that i like is the aluminum kickplates.

does the base Z come with a positive traction rear end? i was reading and it said the enthusiast comes with the TCS and the limited slip. i dont know how it works with these cars, but with mustangs, if it doesnt say it has traction control on the window sticker, youre doin one wheeled burnouts till you buy a t-loc or something lol.

also, whats a 350ZR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
Well, for starters you have come to the only site with the answers to your questions

Start researching performance upgrades here:
https://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Nissa...ermarket_parts

You will find specs, prices, notes, etc.. on any part you need for the Z.

Yes, the aftermarket parts are more expensive for the Z than for a Mustang, but I wouldnt say 3x as much.

The G35 and 350Z share the same engine (and drivetrain, and suspension, and....) The only solid difference between them is the exterior/interior.

350ZR is the Roadster (convertible)

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Well, for starters you have come to the only site with the answers to your questions

Start researching performance upgrades here:
https://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Nissa...ermarket_parts

You will find specs, prices, notes, etc.. on any part you need for the Z.

Yes, the aftermarket parts are more expensive for the Z than for a Mustang, but I wouldnt say 3x as much.

The G35 and 350Z share the same engine (and drivetrain, and suspension, and....) The only solid difference between them is the exterior/interior.

350ZR is the Roadster (convertible)

cool, thanks

as far as parts being more expensive, i guess i should have phrased it differently. i was told that just replacing/fixing something would be that much more. for instance, my fuel pump is acting up right now and not giving me enough fuel up top when the gas gets low, causing it to hang up. i was told it would be about $500 to fix it in my car, and thats just to get a pump just as good. comparing the cost of that to what it would cost to do the same work on the Z.....thats what i was referring to.

but now that you bring up aftermarket parts. are there programmers for these cars? i have an x-calibrator2 on my mustang and it really woke it up.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
OEM parts are not more expensive.

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to harshfury
On the base model, both of the rear tires spin when you do a burnout :P

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
aight, one more for now..........

how come the auto version of the z puts out more tq than the manual version? the book claims the 06 6-speed at 300hp/260tq and the auto at 287hp/274tq.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:18 PM

In 2005 they started releasing the "rev-up" engine. Older Z's have 287hp/274tq and the rev-ups have 300hp/260tq.

For the 06 models the AT Z's get the normal engine. MT's get the rev-up.

Also, the rev-up has a slightly higher redline and a slightly smoother power band.

I don't think this car is any more expensive to repair than any other car. Find a good shop and you're fine.

Aftermarket stuff is expensive though. Nothing's cheap and gains are minimal without going forced induction. There are plenty of companies out there but you need $$ to play with the big boys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement