For anybody that wants to import a vehicle, - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Probably an RB25DETT and SR20DET. Just a guess.

You can also import a car for racing purpose only. In both cases (show and race), you can't drive them on the streets.

The U.S. only lets you import certain vehicles also. I'll get a link to the laws...

Proud Uncle of 1 niece (3 years old) and 2 nephews (1 years old).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My other screenname: NIS350ZTT

<div align="center">
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

I want to thank all of the honorable security members and military forces of and for the United States of America.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast Member

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Proud Uncle of 1 niece (3 years old) and 2 nephews (1 years old).

My other screenname: NIS350ZTT

<div align="center">

|

I want to thank all of the honorable security members and military forces of and for the United States of America.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
for those with questions about bringing in something.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import/infreque...nal_vehicle.xml

Read this carefully. There are links provided on the right column for EPA and DOT forms. One of the bottom paragraphs of this directive states that importations still require the 3520 and HS-7 forms.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
And here&#39;s a list of states with Customs offices. Your best bet is once you&#39;re serious and you have a VIN of the car you want, contact the manufacturer to get a letter of compliance from them, then contact the Customs office closest to you that can handle a car importation. The cargo office is the place you&#39;d want to contact.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
And here&#39;s a list of states with Customs offices. Your best bet is once you&#39;re serious and you have a VIN of the car you want, contact the manufacturer to get a letter of compliance from them, then contact the Customs office closest to you that can handle a car importation. The cargo office is the place you&#39;d want to contact.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/

woot

i&#39;ll pay you if you do it for me

___TUNING CONCEPT, JAPAN PREMIER

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Another site I found that&#39;s well written in layman terms.

http://www.buyclassiccars.com/import.asp

Read it carefully, especially the section titled:

VEHICLE IMPORTATION GUIDELINES
(Imported from a country other than Canada)

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Another site I found that&#39;s well written in layman terms.

http://www.buyclassiccars.com/import.asp

Read it carefully, especially the section titled:

VEHICLE IMPORTATION GUIDELINES
(Imported from a country other than Canada)

ok, i take the hint

___TUNING CONCEPT, JAPAN PREMIER

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Just trying to help everyone out and centralize the info. Happy hunting!

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
On the issue of the EPA form 3520-1 and importing cars, there are several sections that you can check off.

EPA exempted vehicles use code M (Canadian) or E (21 years or older).

Excluded vehicles use code L (racing vehicle) but an EPA letter of approval must be attached, and code W (non chassis mounted engine) which still needs an EPA certificate (probably to show that it meets emmissions).

Temporary Imports use code G (imported for repair or alteration) which requires a Customs bond that covers at least the full value, and code K (imported for display) which also needs a bond.

Some of these codes are explicit in the fact that you cannot register the car for usage on public roads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement