How do I safely tune my turbos with my Profec B-spec 2 Boost Controller? - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
Isn't the check for a head gasket just an (engine) compression test? I think Autozone will lend a compression tester, or sell you one. That and a breaker bar on the crank nose should show whether or not the head gasket is leaking (well the head gasket or anything else in the cylinder jug).

~Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoZYet View Post
Isn't the check for a head gasket just an (engine) compression test? I think Autozone will lend a compression tester, or sell you one. That and a breaker bar on the crank nose should show whether or not the head gasket is leaking (well the head gasket or anything else in the cylinder jug).

~Pat
It can be if the gasket is really blown. Compression and leakdown tests are better suited to checking rings. But it wouldn't hurt.

As a side note, I once had a 4 cylinder car that had a warped head. When the engine was cold the head gasket would leak between the middle two cylinders. So the engine would idle and run like crap until the head warmed up and stopped the leak. A compression test didn't show anything because it didn't generate enough cylinder pressure to exploit the leak, while of course, the combustion event had no trouble doing so.

-Ronin Z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
buying any (pick one) twin turbo, Z, Car, is never a good investment...but we do it anyway...don't consider it an investment but rather an expense...
Hence the quotes. Believe me, I recognize that in nearly every case, a car is a depreciating asset. I was just trying to make the point that buying a used, heavily modified car is playing Russian Roulette.

OP, any more questions? There's some good info in here. Probably all that you need to take the next steps.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
It turns out my turbo has a blown oil seal, and my 02 sensors in both left banks are bad. The original owner let the car sit for over a year in his garage. The mechanic said the seal rotted away while the car sat there, and that I might as well repair both turbos. Is it a waste of time to replace the sensors untill I fix the oil leak, or should I go ahead and change them?
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVan View Post
It turns out my turbo has a blown oil seal, and my 02 sensors in both left banks are bad. The original owner let the car sit for over a year in his garage. The mechanic said the seal rotted away while the car sat there, and that I might as well repair both turbos. Is it a waste of time to replace the sensors untill I fix the oil leak, or should I go ahead and change them?
Honestly you shouldn't be driving the car at all, based on what you're describing. If you're burning enough oil to foul the O2 sensors, that means your ECU cannot be trusted to accurately maintain AFR. And not accurately controlling AFR on a boosted motor is a recipe for disaster.

So while your turbos are being rebuilt, go ahead and replace the O2 sensors. I really hope you got- excuse the pun- a smoking deal on this car, because this is a lot of expensive problems to be having right out of the gate.

-Ronin Z

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Grand Touring Member

IMO, both turbos should probably be rebuilt. Especially if both O2 sensors are bad. That suggests to me that the other turbo is not far behind.

edit: Okay, my bad. I read that wrong. Both sensors in the left bank are bad right. I'd probably still have them both rebuilt. The conditions that caused this likely affected both turbos so the other one is probably not far behind.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Grand Touring Member

Ok, well you guys are still leaving the engine problems behind here. The good news here is that turbos are easy to pull and rebuild once the motor is already out! Just yank that whole thing, put a new HKS head gasket and studs in (rods and pistons while you're at it), and have the turbos rebuilt while it's out.

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Z View Post
I really hope you got- excuse the pun- a smoking deal on this car, because this is a lot of expensive problems to be having right out of the gate.

-Ronin Z

Unfortunately, I was ripped off. The dealer had the car warmed up before I ever arrived, which means I didn't see the smoke,and I was too excited to get them to put it on a lift and check for problems. It ran like a beast when I test drove it... I think everyone can see where this is going. Long story short, the car was bought as is, I didn't notice the smoke untill a cold start the next morning, and I learned a life lesson the hard way about buying used cars..." Don't be stupid, always check!"
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
I think i'll go with Willy's idea. Are cosworth internals worth the money?
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVan View Post
I think i'll go with Willy's idea. Are cosworth internals worth the money?
Depends... stay away from the stroker stuff unless you have a lot of time and money to work with.

You can either:
Just buy the aforementioned head gasket, studs, rods, pistons (add on whatever other little goodies you want) and have a REPUTABLE shop install them

OR

You could go for a fully built motor from a reputable builder and just send yours in as a core (probably the more reliable, but potentially more expensive option)

Don't forget to do all those other little things that you'd kick yourself later for not doing while the motor is out, the clutch and flywheel in particular (if it needs it), and you'll likely need bigger injectors if you're doing a build, etc, etc...

It might help if you could give us a list of what's already in the car? If you have a good turbo kit with a good EMS and some good parts, you may not be in a TERRIBLE situation here (a lot of people that turbo their car end up where you're sitting now)
If you have a car with a blown engine and half a turbonetics kit hanging off... well... that's another story.

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement