STS rear mount boost kit spitting out oil!! HELP!!!! - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Grand Touring Member
 
idrm350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pat, I couldn't find anything that suggested that the STS kit is water cooled.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
idrm350 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Grand Touring Member
 
NoZYet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
All I found was a reference to STS using Garrett turbos; a search of Garrett's site shows come in water cooled versions. STS's website is a step above useless when it comes to technical details, which I find appalling (not restricted to them).

Milky oil suggests coolant infiltration (that's the description for a head gasket leak). Additionally, seals not used for a long period of time (the kit was sitting on a shelf) tend to dry out, and fail, which could result in this happening. I seriously doubt this is coming out of the engine. If it is, his cats (if still installed) should be burning off any oil. I'd expect to see soot, but not liquid oil. With the turbo so close, I'd look there first.

~Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
NoZYet is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Moderator
 
Ronin Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 4,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is the oil coming from both tailpipes, or just the one? If it's only coming from the passenger side (the one the turbo exhausts to) and not the driver's (wastegate) side, then it's almost definitely a blown oil seal in the turbo center housing. If you're seeing oil on the wastegate side, then it's coming from the engine.

But I can't imagine how so much unburned and aerated oil could be coming from your engine.

-Ronin Z


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

Ronin Z is offline  
 
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USAF
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if he did have a blown oil seal wouldnt there be a good amount of smoke coming out of his exhaust end of his sts kit?
kevinkhan817 is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Grand Touring Member
 
idrm350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Probably not, the exhaust and turbo are cool enough to not burn the oil if it is leaking at the turbo. Typically when smoke is a symptom of blown turbo seals, that's when the turbos are near the engine where the exhaust and turbo are very, very hot still.

'03 Enthusiast-UpRev-Nismo-VOLK-Stillen-Motordyne-INGS+1-Lightwerkz-Brembo-StopTech-Injen-K&N
275WHP/245WTQ
idrm350 is offline  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario,Canada
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Its cooled with oil
Romy is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario,Canada
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Z View Post
Is the oil coming from both tailpipes, or just the one? If it's only coming from the passenger side (the one the turbo exhausts to) and not the driver's (wastegate) side, then it's almost definitely a blown oil seal in the turbo center housing. If you're seeing oil on the wastegate side, then it's coming from the engine.

But I can't imagine how so much unburned and aerated oil could be coming from your engine.

-Ronin Z
the oil is only comming out of the right side.the thing is i till dont underatand how is it getting mixed with coolant.the shop said the head gasket is fine and they said if the piston ring were gone it would smokeup alot because it would be burning alot of oil nd coolant.so im just confused at this point
Romy is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Moderator
 
Ronin Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 4,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
the oil is only comming out of the right side.the thing is i till dont underatand how is it getting mixed with coolant.the shop said the head gasket is fine and they said if the piston ring were gone it would smokeup alot because it would be burning alot of oil nd coolant.so im just confused at this point
I don't know for sure that you're getting coolant into your oil. We run these huge Edwards-Stokes vacuum pump stacks at work that blow their oil seals from time to time. And when the oil comes out of the pump manifold it's all milky and foamy from the aeration, and it looks very similar to the oil on your tailpipe, yet with no water or coolant being involved. If you let it sit long enough all the bubbles go away, and you're back to regular oil.

Anyway...
You can always unbolt the turbo and see if you accumulate any new oil with the turbo removed from the loop. Another thing you can do is simply drain some of the oil from the pan and see what it looks like. If it's a problem in the engine, you'll see the same soupy mess. But if it's clean oil... the finger continues to point at a blown oil seal in the turbo.


-Ronin Z


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

Ronin Z is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Base Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto Ontario,Canada
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoZYet View Post
All I found was a reference to STS using Garrett turbos; a search of Garrett's site shows come in water cooled versions. STS's website is a step above useless when it comes to technical details, which I find appalling (not restricted to them).

Milky oil suggests coolant infiltration (that's the description for a head gasket leak). Additionally, seals not used for a long period of time (the kit was sitting on a shelf) tend to dry out, and fail, which could result in this happening. I seriously doubt this is coming out of the engine. If it is, his cats (if still installed) should be burning off any oil. I'd expect to see soot, but not liquid oil. With the turbo so close, I'd look there first.

~Pat

Sorry i do have the cats installed. The stock ones. N i do believe that u make sense when u say if it was comming from the engine it would have gotten burnt when at least they reach the cats. And your assumption about the kit being sitting for a while was true as well cuz it was sitting for a bit before i got it.
Romy is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Grand Touring Member
 
NoZYet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,046
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Its cooled with oil
Hmm, if there's no coolant running to the turbo, then that complicates things. If this stuff was coming through the cats I suspect you'd be getting constant check engine lights. Do what Ronin says, pull as much as possible off, get it really clean inside what exhaust parts you can without trapping liquid (don't do cats or mufflers), and see if comes back, and where it starts from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Z View Post
I don't know for sure that you're getting coolant into your oil. We run these huge Edwards-Stokes vacuum pump stacks at work that blow their oil seals from time to time. And when the oil comes out of the pump manifold it's all milky and foamy from the aeration, and it looks very similar to the oil on your tailpipe, yet with no water or coolant being involved. If you let it sit long enough all the bubbles go away, and you're back to regular oil.

Anyway...
You can always unbolt the turbo and see if you accumulate any new oil with the turbo removed from the loop. Another thing you can do is simply drain some of the oil from the pan and see what it looks like. If it's a problem in the engine, you'll see the same soupy mess. But if it's clean oil... the finger continues to point at a blown oil seal in the turbo.


-Ronin Z
I agree that there are things that could make them milky, but there's clearly green fluid in the second photo. I can't imagine what else would cause it (other than maybe some really bizarre refractions screwing with the camera).

Any info on the vacuum stacks?

~Pat

2010 True Red Miata Sport

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
NoZYet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome