blown head gasket after procharger install - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
So after my Procharger install with a 7lb pulley, I have blown the head gasket after 1 week! I've spent a ton of money and now have nothing but a busted ride!!! My car has high mileage (100,000)

My question now is how would you spend the $ 5,000 budget? Thats the max, I would rather not spend it if its not needed.

1. Replace gasket with HKS Head Gasket and use Studs?
2. Swap motor with low mileage used motor?
3. Buy a built short block from Import Parts Pro for 2,600 plus Gasket and Studs? $3,400?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Option 1 is the quickest and cheapest, maybe not the best, but I would make sure they check the straightness or flatness of the block and heads.

Option 2 you will get an unknown, which would be fine if you leave it NA but with boost it is a risk

Option 3 obviously the best but more costly

03 350Z 554RWHP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 90 300ZX TT

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Get a built shortblock and call it good my friend.

Stock heads on these motors are awesome.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Base Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ashtrojan2008
i've got the same delimma... but with a busted ring in addition. i'm buying the parts and building the engine myself. does anyone have any idea on the cost of getting a rotating assembly balanced?? (crank, rods, pistons) Also, how much does block machining usually cost? going .020 over... hopefully getting Cosworth to do it if i can afford it but have no clue on how much $$ i'm looking at!

Built Greddy TT. 14psi 461whp dyno dynamics untuned. [email protected]
SR20DET 260Z 18psi 371whp pump gas 24psi 415whp race gas on dyno dynamics.
Built 300ZX TT in progress
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Grand Touring Member

Cosworth is not going to be cheap but my machine shop charged me 700-800 for:

Balancing Crankshaft individually
Balancing assembly (crank Pulley, crankshaft, rods, pistons, flywheel, clutch)
Caging the bearings (assembles rods, crank and main caps to measure for bearings needed)
Cleaned up bores
Provided bearings, I went with coated bearings

Mine had sleeves installed by another shop so he didn't have to bore it out just clean it up and measure for piston skirt to wall clearance, but I believe a 20 overbore was 50 bucks a cylinder

03 350Z 554RWHP
-
- 90 300ZX TT

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Base Member

Man i had gotten the procharger put in my car like 3 months ago and was riding it around good, then i got the osiris tuned to it about 3 weeks ago and the damn head gasket blow. my gosh i am hoping nothing else is wrong with my car
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Morales View Post
Man i had gotten the procharger put in my car like 3 months ago and was riding it around good, then i got the osiris tuned to it about 3 weeks ago and the damn head gasket blow. my gosh i am hoping nothing else is wrong with my car
I know very little about the osiris tune - but did you dyno tune to make sure your osiris was giving you legit results? meaning with your reflashed ecu, were you near 13:1 AF??

I should start counting how many times I've said this, but you MUST dyno tune with a procharger...hands down...or you're risking popping your block...

'03 Z33
'71 S30
'04 Triton 5.4
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedtrack350z View Post
1. Replace gasket with HKS Head Gasket and use Studs?
2. Swap motor with low mileage used motor?
3. Buy a built short block from Import Parts Pro for 2,600 plus Gasket and Studs? $3,400?
Did you dyno tune?

I would choose option 3. Reason being, keep the procharger with the stronger head/stud combo and have it overbuilt a degree or two.

I did a long build from IPP and was very happy with the product (although it has not been installed yet).

I don't know exactly how you came up with your $3400 but have a little over-run / fluff in there for extra expenses.

get a dyno when it's all said & done.

'03 Z33
'71 S30
'04 Triton 5.4
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
I know very little about the osiris tune - but did you dyno tune to make sure your osiris was giving you legit results? meaning with your reflashed ecu, were you near 13:1 AF??

I should start counting how many times I've said this, but you MUST dyno tune with a procharger...hands down...or you're risking popping your block...
i was going to get the dyno tune but the manager of the shop said the turboXS wasnt responding to the tune. so tuning it to the ecu. i just hope i didnt mess up anything more then the head gasket.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Grand Touring Member

...UTEC wasn't responding to the tune...?

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement