User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
What do you want to know? At the most basic, an EMU will control ignition timing and fuel injection. You want the spark plugs to fire at just the right time to gain the most horsepower. You also want to spray just the right amount of fuel to have it burn as efficiently as possible.

You can use the term "resolution" when describing what an EMU is capable of. A low end EMU such as the one included with the Procharger can only adjust fuel ever 1000rpm. So in that entire RPM band you have the same amount of fuel being sprayed. However a high end EMU such as the UTEC can adjust this at 250rpm increments. Simply put, the finer the resolution, the better the tuner can use the system to achieve "the perfect tune".

Adjustments are also made based on load. An example would be if you are cruising at 2500rpm and then smash the throttle. You are still at 2500rpm for a second but you just increased the load dramatically, in which case more fuel will be needed.
How knowledgable do I have to be on tuning to tune with UTEC myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Just ordered the UTEC but I don't know much about it. I was using the Split Second Tune that came with the Vortech kit for almost 2 years. I'll let you know how it works out in a couple weeks. I'm also adding a return fuel system, 500cc injectors and Labree Res test pipes. Should make for some desent gains
I have the split second/vortec. I took the car last year with the software to a tuner, he panicked, would'nt ever change on the dyno. Think we're getting about all we can get with s/c safely.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 PM

Would anyone happen to have manuals for the UTEC, for the HKS Fcon (both VPRo and iS) and for the Navigator? The websites don't have a whole ton of info and I am particularly interested in the display on the Navigator. The HKS website has a great hi res picture but I can't figure out what some of the abbreviations on the display mean. If you could post them up in pdf or something that would be awesome.

thanks!

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
O ya, I forgot I was supposed to post something up...here goes...
I have UTEC with an APS TT set up. I also have a map selector switch and Turbo XS Tuner Pro for the most precise tuning possible. It has worked flawlessly for me. One thing I made sure of was to get the best install and tunes possible. Some people had "problems" with the UTEC, but it was actually a grounding issue...just need to get it put in right. I sold the Unichip and went with UTEC because it is a more powerful system, but also becuase I liked being able to switch maps. I'm using exhaust dumps for the best exhaust flow possible, so it's nice to be able to switch to the correct map. It also allows for easy switching between high and low boost, as well as allowing for a reduced timing map for treating the engine nice, or a bad batch of gas. Overall, an excellent system, I honestly have no complaints. It can be used for NA applications, and is powerful enough for BIG powerrrrrrrr. Good stuff, I highly recomend it : )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Just ordered the UTEC but I don't know much about it. I was using the Split Second Tune that came with the Vortech kit for almost 2 years. I'll let you know how it works out in a couple weeks. I'm also adding a return fuel system, 500cc injectors and Labree Res test pipes. Should make for some desent gains

hello

how many more hp can i have if i change stock injectors for 500 cc injectors with 1 fuel pressure regulator and 1 UTEC management unit and to remap ECU by technosquare
today i have 365 HP with the ati procharger C2
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast Member

Has anyone compared the performance difference between a Unichip and Utec? I have the unichip and it performs great but I'm thinking about switching to the utec.

Vortech 3.12, RC 550cc, Borla TD cat back with Magnaflow X-pipe/muffler, test pipes, Megan headers, Motordyne Iso thermal 5/16 plenum spacer, Utec, Fidanza flywheel, ACT clutch.
Dynojet numbers 392whp 335tq
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Ninja350Z

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Like what? I'm curious as to what I can add to the dash that would give me more info as to how my car is running.
The HKS Navigator plugs into the F-Con and gives everything from boost to air intake temp.

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Has anyone compared the performance difference between a Unichip and Utec? I have the unichip and it performs great but I'm thinking about switching to the utec.
I think you should be fine since you are still running NA.

But I'm thinking the same thing, switching over to UTEC.

XXX WHP XXX WTQ - GTM Built & Tuned
Special Thanks to: Sa[email protected], Andy&[email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 04:20 AM
Hue
Enthusiast Member

Any good prices or deals on the UTEC or F-con?

Huemagic

Nismo Exhaust, JWT Popcharger, Kinetix Plenum, Unorthodox Pulley Set, Ultimate Racing Hi Flow Cats, Black Pearl Z Plate Frames, Grounding Kit, DC Headers, Hawk Brake Pads, 3.9 Final Drive Central Japan, Hotchkis Suspension Kit , Work Meister SR2 9.5 F 10 B, Toyo 1R 245 F 275 B, , UTEC Turbo XS, JWT Clutch & Flywheel

265 Hp
<span style="color:red">258 Tq
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 04:41 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Any good prices or deals on the UTEC or F-con?
PM sent.

XXX WHP XXX WTQ - GTM Built & Tuned
Special Thanks to: [email protected], Andy&[email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement