Help needed !!! - drivers side floor water leak - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help needed !!! - drivers side floor water leak

Hello everyone

I have a problem with some sort of water leak on the drivers side floor of my '03 350Z Track Edition Zed. I have tried searching about this on the internet and the common problems are water leakeage through the seals/weatherstrip on on the door glass run and through the pedals via firewall from dodgy audio installation..etc.

But my problem seems to be happening near the centre console. I have tried to trace the location of where the water is entering but i cant seem to narrow it down. It is definitely not coming form the pedals or ths side of the car (where the door opens) I have attached some pictures for you guys to have a see.

It happens during long drives, the area in the picture heats up and gets pretty wet. My floor mats end up geting wet as well form all the condensation (When i remove my floor mats, steamed can be seen radiating from the patches). During these times AC or heater is not switched on.

I'm not sure if it is caused by some sort of leak by a hose running under the floor or by the heat generated from the engine or the transmission. The wet patches seems to be water and not coolant of any sort (they smell odourless and dont feel oily or sticky in anyway)

Any of you guys have encountered similar problems like this before?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Enthusiast Member

your heater core in the cabin is leaking,
dont mean to scare you but its a deacent job to get it out, look in the engine bay on the RH side near the throttle body there will be a line that runs through the fire wall, what you want to do as a bit of a fix and to see if it is the problem is to join this line to the LH side of the fire wall, almost directly behind the LH rocker cover, if it does not leak it is definatly your core, if you can live without your heater for a while it will get you by.
Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UL FAIL View Post
your heater core in the cabin is leaking
^I was just gonna say this

This happened to a friend in his Volvo…

Pureflow, make sure it's not water and indeed coolant but you should be able to tell by taking a good look at it.

'03 Z33
'71 S30
'04 Triton 5.4

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback guys! Really appreciate all your help. Sorry was away on work for the last couple of days.

Just a few quick question in regards to this problem.
1. If it is caused by the heater core, it should be leaking only coolant and not water right? I have had a closer look at the patch and I believe it is water as there is no sweet-smelling coolant smell of any sort and when drying it with a cloth, the liquid absorbed is clear. I might be mistaken and will check again.
2. Is it caused by a faulty heater core or a leaking hose which is attached to the heater core? I have not seen how the heater core looks like on the 350z so excuse my ignorance.

I will try your method UL FAIL over the weekend. I wonder how much the stealerships will charge for a repair like this. Anyone in Melbourne know any good trustworthy workshops who knows their way around Z’s?

Once again, thanks for all your help guys.

Last edited by pureflow+; 11-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Performance Member

Go to the wiki section and look up the factory manuals. This may give you some info on the pipes and coolant stuff .
Courtesy Nissan also have a good online parts diagrams.

Go Swannneeeeesssss
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureflow+ View Post
1. If it is caused by the heater core, it should be leaking only coolant and not water right? I have had a closer look at the patch and I believe it is water as there is no sweet-smelling coolant smell of any sort and when drying it with a cloth, the liquid absorbed is clear. I might be mistaken and will check again.
yes or whatever coolant/water mixture you have in the car. Has your coolant level dropped? Have you noticed that you've had to fill the coolant reservoir?

If this is water it should evaporate within a few days +/- … my buddy's Volvo had this problem for a while and the coolant never really evaporated out of his carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureflow+ View Post
2. Is it caused by a faulty heater core or a leaking hose which is attached to the heater core? I have not seen how the heater core looks like on the 350z so excuse my ignorance.
If it is a heater core / coolant issue than you have a leak somewhere between the feed hose, heater core, return hose.

'03 Z33
'71 S30
'04 Triton 5.4
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM
NBW

I have the same exact problem on my 03' 350z touring edition. I was astounded at the resemblance. I am certain the substance is water. It leaks when it rains, when i go through a car wash etc. Any advice? I understand people have posted on this issue but i am uncertain what the resolution was.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Pureflow+... I'm also having this same problem. However, I'm having wet spots that puddle up located behind and under the driver seat. Were you also having wet areas there too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement