Track testing Motul 300V 10w40 vs Castrol Edge 0w40 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well last track day I was fortunate enough to be able to test some 300V against the Edge I've been using. Honestly, I didn't think it would make a massive difference, but thought I'd do some background research anyway. My main concern with Edge is that it thins out a lot across a track day. It starts off fine, but by the afternoon sessions the oil pressure at idle is quite low, around 90-100 kpa. The 300V also advertises itself as a "double ester" oil, and I had NFI what that meant...

ESTERS
APPARENTLY, according to the innerwebz, an Ester is a molecule that is very stable under heat and pressure which, incidentally, is the type of forces acting on engine oil. There is a relatively new measurement for this type of force called HTHS (High-Temperature, High-Shear at 150-degrees C). The HTHS is a number referencing viscoscity. Also, according to the innerwebz, while ester oils are meant to be good under hard driving, they also tend to break down faster, meaning that oil change intervals need to be shorter. So an oil like 300V is good if you track your car, but not so good if you don't, as daily and even short intervals of hard-driving will generally not be enough to generate the type of heat and pressure where an ester-oil is of benefit. Anyway the HTHS rating of Edge 0w40 is 3.6 while the 300V 10w40 is 4.19. Theoreitcally a higher HTHS offers more protection to your engine under load.

RESULTS
Noting that the difference in temperature between the track day with 300V and the previous track day with EDGE was about 8-degrees ambient, I found the 300V ran consistently cooler throughout the day (peak engine oil temp 130-degrees vs 138-degrees). It also seemed to cool a bit faster. After a cool-down lap and back into the pits the oil was down to about 100-degrees vs 110-115 degrees for Edge. Also, as the day progressed, the 300V was maintaining better pressure at idle (120-130kpa).

Well that's what I found...I think everyone can draw their own conclusions from this as there is also a value/cost vs. performance to consider, seeing that 300V isn't the cheapest oil in the world. The other thing I found out about 300V is that you can mix the viscosities to make your own weight (except for 5w40). Once my car is boosted and running properly I might try 75% 10w40 and 25% 15w50 at the next track day.

One person can change the world, but I'll just change it back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast Member

Kam that's what I have found with Motul 300V you can usally get up to 3 tracks days before you need to change it out and on hotter days maybe only 1 or 2 track days, also I find the oil pressure runs slightly higher than all the other oils, it expensive but bloody good.

Cheers

DAVID

Totally, Fully Sick DB M6 Track TT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Touring Member

thanks for the feedback.

are u looking to test anything else?

Sport Bras Required

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast Member

As always Kam great value in your sharing findings from an empirical approach.
FWIW I use Motul in the 'Bus, but Penrite HPR 5 or 10 for the (mostly) commuter Z.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (MR RIZK @ Mar 19 2010, 09:12 PM)
Quote:
are u looking to test anything else?
Hmm not ANYTHING, but if it's something that I think might benefit the car I'd test it...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
OK so just a brief update on this...now the car is FI I had very big concerns over heat, as the VQ is a hot engine! So I tried a 50/50 mixture of 300V 15w50 and 10w40 this time around. The car still cold-starts OK, I couldn't really feel any cold hesitation due to the extra thickness of the oil.

It was a very cool day, ambient around 18-degrees max. To my surprise the car's oil temperature didn't go over 120-degrees, and oil pressures were steadily over 120kpa. I'll probably continue to use a high percentage of 15w50 mixtures for track days, just for the extra protection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement