post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Double post

View the Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by qikz; 12-01-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
What happened there?

View the Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Grand Touring Member

This is currently my favorite thread around here. This is the kind of pioneering Z modding that the economy has really unfortunately wiped out lately, and it is a shame.

What kind of rear/front bias are you thinking to go with on the torque/power split since it sounds like you will be able to adjust it? Any plans to drop in one of those traction systems that transfer power on a corner/end basis to avoid wheel spin, or is already built into the system? Keep it up with the updates please, this thread is like cocaine for my imagination.

"I have become-comfortably numb"

Motordyne~RacingBrake~Hawk~Redline~Momo~Rockford Fosgate~Infiniti~Alpine~Michelin~K&N~S2000 Stubby

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Diz
Performance Member

Thanks,

Diz
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Here is the trial fit with the auto box. The manual is still at the machinists for bellhousing and gearshift setup. The only real problem at the moment is the rack mount has to be changed from left hook to right. On the right side, the diff is slightly in the way. Also the Z rack has verticle studs and the X has horizontal mounted under the rack itself. I would have been cleaner to find a right hook X but I was lucky to get this one. As you can see, everything fits like a bought one.[attachment=26382:awd_pics_031.jpg][attachment=26383:awd_pics_030.jpg][attac
hment=26384:awd_pics_033.jpg]

View the Project

Last edited by qikz; 12-01-2010 at 07:41 PM.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Diz
Performance Member

Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your mods!

vi⋅car⋅i⋅ous   [vahy-kair-ee-uhs, vi-] Show IPA
–adjective
1. performed, exercised, received, or suffered in place of another: vicarious punishment.
2. taking the place of another person or thing; acting or serving as a substitute.
3. felt or enjoyed through imagined participation in the experience of others: a vicarious thrill.
4. Physiology. noting or pertaining to a situation in which one organ performs part of the functions normally performed by another.

I had to look it up.

Thanks,

Diz
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast Member

hey guys.

Anyone know how much it would cost to do this CONVERSION ?

Places where they can do the conversion in sydney ?
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Base Member

QUOTE (qikz @ Mar 27 2009, 10:35 AM)
Quote:
Here is the trial fit with the auto box. The manual is still at the machinists for bellhousing and gearshift setup. The only real problem at the moment is the rack mount has to be changed from left hook to right. On the right side, the diff is slightly in the way. Also the Z rack has verticle studs and the X has horizontal mounted under the rack itself. I would have been cleaner to find a right hook X but I was lucky to get this one. As you can see, everything fits like a bought one.[attachment=26382:awd_pics_031.jpg][attachment=26383:awd_pics_030.jpg][attac
hment=26384:awd_pics_033.jpg]

Man... that is so suspect. I've seen the Top Secret AWD Zed and JUN 3.8L AWD and envy them to the max.

Keep up the good work qikz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdYPXQgZ8Ss...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kicjBRABCU...feature=related

I'm sorry i don't speak Japanese
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (Gendut @ May 11 2009, 08:00 AM)
Quote:
hey guys.

Anyone know how much it would cost to do this CONVERSION ?

Places where they can do the conversion in sydney ?
Just wait for the castings etc. To re-invent the wheel would be insane as the costs are ..............I don't count any more.!!!
I can give you the part numbers and each little nut and bolt for the job including what can be re used and what gets tossed. The actual bodywork is about 2 days work including paint, if that. You certainly don't have to remove radiator, bumper and all the front etc. That bit is simple.

The gearbox will be a straight bolt up (when the castings are done) and the input shaft is supplied with throw out bearing. If you want to auto gearbox it is much simpler but less thrashable. The tailshaft dimentions and gearstick setup will also be bolt up stuff. Getting all the bits for the box is by far the biggest job.
I have peeled off every bit of 35k just with my little bit of R&D. I will probably go through every bit of 55k before you can get the kit for a reasonable price. I am thinking it would cost about 15-20k excluding the donor box , a BNR34 6 speed Getrag with your 350Z shifter in our shifter housing. This should include the electronics but we have yet to go there. That would be a roadgoing machinery inspected unit. Of course you could get something cheaper but not with the quality finish. From in the cabin, you won't be able to pick it as the stick and boot etc will be the original, possibly sitting about 25-30mm higher..
The alternative is to buy a doner half cut and simply buy the adapter bellhousing and shift mechanism clutch throwout bearing and tailshaft from me.
Getting the first one done is always the most expensive especially when no one has the enthusiasm and doesn't believe. You have to flog them every step of the way (or is that just machinists). Once its done, they all want to own it as if it was their idea.......................... and how common is that little trip.
I know its not the first awdz but it is the first to my knowledge that will be supplied as a kit for the road with a step by step instruction on how to do it. It should take about 2 weeks to drive in drive out provided you have a workshop that doesn't work on everyone elses car instead of yours. (Does that sound bitter?)
My job is slow because there is some additional plumbing to fit the turbos around the new engine mounts, miss the new cross member and externally waste gate because of the mounts again (making sure we miss the front drive shaft. The APS sump won't fit (hits front diff housing) but we are CNCing a sump extension from some billet aluminium to accomodate the oil return lines, fit an external filter, add oil capacity etc etc.
I'm having the engine /turbo/tuning done in Brisbane but I will be crafting the gearbox fit in my workshop as we are much quicker cleaner and more dedicated at this stuff and less exposed to a lack of enthbusiasm and distractions. I discovered you can't R&D in someone elses environment, they just crumble when you fabricate, assemble, trial and adjust , then throw it out as a bad idea.

View the Project

post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Base Member

Hey qikz, sounds like a very convincing acheivement for the horsepower you want to deliver to the pavement. I 'm wanting that same luxury and considering you have already done the homework for it all, I'm quite interested in the idea. After all, once the install of the JUN goes in it would be quite hard to keep traction to all two wheels, so I guess 4 of em would be a reasonable solution...ha ha ha. As much as i like wheel spin and leaving a fat set of 11's around town they still don't get you the 9 sec pass at the 1/4mile.

Where is this workshop of yours, that you speak of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement