User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I suppose 40k is major - in terms of brake fluid and diff oil being changed in addition oil & filter - add another $40 to that 'cos I supplied my own oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast Member

Wow, im almost at 40K, bummer guess im gonna end up forking out something similiar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (VQHRZed @ Mar 20 2009, 11:57 PM)
Quote:
Wow, im almost at 40K, bummer guess im gonna end up forking out something similiar
You can probably do better at small independent, but be weary:

I see services done by the previous owner costing $160-200, because the car didn&#39;t travel many kms it had actually already had 40k kms scheduled service done at 17k on the odo (due to months not kms) - and the the cost was still <$200. However, on that old invoice the costs don&#39;t reflect nor do invoice show new brake, fluid, diff oil etc so the invoice claims "performed 40k service as per manufacturer&#39;s handbook" but it was BS - seems they did oil, filter & air filter that was it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Base Member

QUOTE (monyx @ Mar 21 2009, 08:18 AM)
Quote:
You can probably do better at small independent, but be weary:

I see services done by the previous owner costing $160-200, because the car didn&#39;t travel many kms it had actually already had 40k kms scheduled service done at 17k on the odo (due to months not kms) - and the the cost was still <$200. However, on that old invoice the costs don&#39;t reflect nor do invoice show new brake, fluid, diff oil etc so the invoice claims "performed 40k service as per manufacturer&#39;s handbook" but it was BS - seems they did oil, filter & air filter that was it.
I had my 40k service done at Rockdale Nissan for $350. That&#39;s their standard price and it&#39;s the cheapest I can find.

However they tried to rip me off by lying to me about the level of brake pad wear (telling me that my rear pads have 2mm left when I have 50% left) and then tried to charge me $6xx for a set of 2 front pads (yes, pads only) and $7xx for set of rear pads. Quoted $1500 for replacing 4 pads.

I bought set of 4 Ferodo DS2500 pads from VSport for $400 and had the front ones fitted by a local mecahnic for $66. Rear ones still have 50% left so are fine.

Just be careful.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Enthusiast Member

Yeah that sounds like typical dealership bulls*@t, my 30k service i got quoted $1500 for "cheap" hancook tyres and $1600 for front rotors, i told them were to stick it and bought toyo proxies for $1200 and am still running fine with the brakes
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
You can do a lot of the "recommended" service yourself and save a lot of money:

recent discussion I know this is for a different mileage but it still applies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (jinxxycat @ Mar 21 2009, 09:03 PM)
Quote:
You can do a lot of the "recommended" service yourself and save a lot of money:

recent discussion I know this is for a different mileage but it still applies...
oh for sure - however I look for log book stamped services inspecting 2nd hand car -as I did for this Z, despite the best intentions and assurances from a seller it turns me off if there&#39;s no to little stamps in the book and they claim to have done themselves. Maybe not an issue for run-of-mill Ford/GMH but sports or performance cars, potentially driven harder...and if they&#39;re too cheap to pay for services maybe they were too cheap to replace all the consumables when they shoud&#39;ve?
So reluctantly I will shell out to have a &#39;log book&#39; history at least while the car has lower mileage on it. Of course do the interim oil&filter changes myself.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Enthusiast Member

QUOTE (dkc64 @ Mar 20 2009, 09:59 PM)
Quote:
I had my 40k service done at Rockdale Nissan for $350. That&#39;s their standard price and it&#39;s the cheapest I can find.

However they tried to rip me off by lying to me about the level of brake pad wear (telling me that my rear pads have 2mm left when I have 50% left) and then tried to charge me $6xx for a set of 2 front pads (yes, pads only) and $7xx for set of rear pads. Quoted $1500 for replacing 4 pads.

I bought set of 4 Ferodo DS2500 pads from VSport for $400 and had the front ones fitted by a local mecahnic for $66. Rear ones still have 50% left so are fine.

Just be careful.
Shita they did change mine saying the same thing... damn!!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:18 PM

40k services

So, what does the 40k services consist of? I know I need an oil change, but is there more that's needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement