post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
BEE
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
sup peoples,

I was planning to install coilovers for my 350Z. Does anyone recommend them and if so which is the best brand and how much am i looking at to set me back?

Is it better than getting shocks and suspension seperately?

I'm new to all this so any advice is good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Touring Member

Send a message via MSN to mxfly
My question to you is, what do you intend to do with your car. Most ppl here mainly use their rides for street and maybe occasional track days.

For a street setup, you dont really need coilovers. YOu can get a nice set of aftermarket struts with matching springs. That would save you a little on other things like sway bars, which i do recommend. But saying that, there is someone here who is selling a nice set of new coils for 1500, which is an absolute bargain.

Coilovers, although they do improve handling, it's not the only component that makes the car corner better. THere's so much involved with a suspension setup that i can write a mini essay here. I would definitely get a nice set of aftermarket sway bars, like Nismo which will reduce the body roll. Surprisingly, I found the stock struts to be quite acceptable when i first bought my car. I just simply changed the sway bars. But i wanted to lower my car, as well as having the benefit of adjusting your damping so I had to get coilovers.

Once you lower your car, there's other issues to deal with as it changes your roll centre, your camber, your toe, etc. And stock arms, links and rods do not have enough adjustments so I decided to get all aftermarket parts. At the front, I changed the castor rods, upper control arms and at the rear, the traction rods and toe rods.

With coilovers, I use Ohlins DFV which are both great for street and track use.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Performance Member

Best way to improve the car's handling is get better tyres

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Grand Touring Member

You only just got your car, according to your other posts. I'd suggest you learn to drive what you've got before you decide how you can improve it.

Most peoples' driving style is different and so optimal handling tweaks are rarely ever the same between people. For example, I prefer to go slow in, fast out so I want a car that pulls up hard and in a straight line, and I'll sacrifice some turn-in response to gain more traction on the way out (which is why I'm considering a 2-way LSD rather than a 1.5 way now). Some people would prefer to have a faster entry and pointier nose, and balance the car on the throttle on the exit.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Z's handling, aside from its chronic understeer, so how you tune it depends on what you think is wrong with it.

As a suggestion, I would recommend running the same sized tyres all round to make the car more neutral (don't expect to use TCS or VDC though) and maybe a set of adjustable swaybars to have the car sitting flatter around corners and tuning the understeer/oversteer attitude of the car a bit.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
You only just got your car, according to your other posts. I'd suggest you learn to drive what you've got before you decide how you can improve it.

Most peoples' driving style is different and so optimal handling tweaks are rarely ever the same between people. For example, I prefer to go slow in, fast out so I want a car that pulls up hard and in a straight line, and I'll sacrifice some turn-in response to gain more traction on the way out (which is why I'm considering a 2-way LSD rather than a 1.5 way now). Some people would prefer to have a faster entry and pointier nose, and balance the car on the throttle on the exit.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the Z's handling, aside from its chronic understeer, so how you tune it depends on what you think is wrong with it.
As a suggestion, I would recommend running the same sized tyres all round to make the car more neutral (don't expect to use TCS or VDC though) and maybe a set of adjustable swaybars to have the car sitting flatter around corners and tuning the understeer/oversteer attitude of the car a bit.
+1. Ditto. What he said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement