Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (Tengui @ Sep 23 2009, 07:27 PM)
Quote:
Yep thems the ones....
FYI RS-Rs have a Treadwear of 140. They'd be classified as an S-Comp.

I've got a set on the MR2. They're nice, but not in the same league as the Toyo R888, let alone something like an RE55S or a DZ03G.

However, S-Comps are also a good "stepping stone" tyre for someone who's started to get into track work. It's really hard for novice drivers to learn to exploit tyres' grip. Unlike power you need to "know" the car will stop/turn and trust that you can stand on the brakes that hard/pitch it into a bend so much faster.

R888s are one of the cheapest new R-Comps you can get in Australia. Once you've burned up the RS-Rs try them out.

Also, how are you finding the sidewalls of your RS-Rs after track days? You need a lot of camber to get them to sit right. I know that quite a few guys on SAU have run them on GT-Rs with streetable camber, and ended up delaminating the sidewalls. For the weight of their cars, the sidewalls are too weak. At the recommended track pressures it rolls onto the corner too much. If they run higher air pressures to reinforce the sidewall, the tyre overheats faster.

I'm reluctant to run them as dedicated track tyres on the Z as a result.

QUOTE (Tengui @ Sep 23 2009, 07:27 PM)
Quote:
My long term goal is to complete the Targa Tasmania in whatever I buy next...
With the weather in Tasmania being the way it is, a lightweight AWD car will be the way to go. It'd be fun in something lightweight and RWD, especially if you don't plan on being at the pointy end of the field, but for safety's sake I'd go AWD.

I went in 2004 as a spectator. On the last day it went from cloudless blue skies in the morning in Launceston to snowing at lunch near Queenstown. Driving the Z through that on summer tyres was not fun.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Enthusiast Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to tengui
QUOTE (scathing @ Sep 24 2009, 12:28 PM)
Quote:
Also, how are you finding the sidewalls of your RS-Rs after track days?
Yeah not too bad. At wakefield I started at 36psi cold and progressively moved down. I found the sweet spot at 34psi front and 35psi at the rear. Any softer and I started to loose time by about a second. So yeah a little more pressure required than most for optimum performance. I'm Running neg 2.5 at the rear and the front is stock. I'll take my laser thermometer next time im at the track so I can check temps quickly when I come in.

Quote:
With the weather in Tasmania being the way it is, a lightweight AWD car will be the way to go. It'd be fun in something lightweight and RWD, especially if you don't plan on being at the pointy end of the field, but for safety's sake I'd go AWD.
No intentions of being up the front. I remember when Eric Banner stacked his car a couple of years ago. Something like the Audi would be a good fit. Hopefully ill get a chance to drive an R8 sometime over summer when im back in Australia.

Quote:
I went in 2004 as a spectator. On the last day it went from cloudless blue skies in the morning in Launceston to snowing at lunch near Queenstown. Driving the Z through that on summer tyres was not fun.
When I was younger I used to watch the highlights on TV with my dad. He used to have a couple of MGs and a sprite. Was always something he wanted to do but never got around to doing. Have driven the soarer over there quite s few times with XYZ girlfriend. Love the roads & Seafood. The weather reminds me of the lowlands of Scotland. Changes at least 3 times a day no matter what the season.

Clutch in, brake, blip the throttle, shift down, turn in, back on the throttle, feed in opposite lock....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement