Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
i'm wondering why the body kit is last?
Because it don't make my car go, turn or stop any faster

But, if after the TT installation I need to poke holes somewhere for heat exchangers then the bodykit will shift to a Stage 2 mod (and the minor interior / exterior detailing will be the only Stage 3 mods at that point).

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:

And since the car / parts are a lot cheaper (relative to the average wage) we can't "afford" to do as much as our American counterparts.
aint that the truth, we arent off to a good start paying more than twice as much for the car new

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pm or email for your Microfibre Cloths, Waffle Weave Drying Towels, Microfibre Sponges/Mitts and Applicator Pad needs

- SOLD
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 04:05 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Given how much money I've spent on my car, people ask me if there's an end to it and if I'll ever be happy. The other car enthusiasts always say, "The car is never finished" with a smile and a wink.

I gave it some thought, and for me that's not true. I've come up with "stages" of completeness. Basically, if the car reaches that "stage" I'll be happy with leaving it as it is, but if I modify further I'd have to finish the next stage before I consider the car "finished" again.

So, here are my stages of completeness for my '03 350Z Touring (N.B. it doesn't cover the replacement of consumables, since those things have to get replaced anyway. Only replacing parts in working order):
Stage 1:

Full exhaust (extractors, cat, mufflers)
Pod filter + cold air induction
Piggyback / Aftermarket ECU
Coilovers + swaybars
Lightweight Wheels
Short shifter
Lightweight flywheel
Plenum spacer
Brembo Brakes w/ braided lines & master cylinder stopper
A/V head unit and replacement speakers / amps for factory locations
Nismo Power Steering Cooler

Stage 2a:

Medium cam upgrade (not quite racecar big, but bigger than "mild")
1.5 Way LSD
221kW intake plenum / modified stock plenum

Stage 2b:

Mild cam upgrade
APS Twin Turbo kit with custom tune
EBC
1.5 Way LSD
Uprated clutch
Oil cooler
Uprated / lightweight radiator

Stage 3:

Ings+1 N-spec bodykit
Defi gauges
Badges etc
There's an a and b path, depending on if I keep the car NA and keep the grip/power ratio on the positive, or go all out and get twin turbos....which may lead to an unforeseen brake / wheel upgrade.

Also, if I pop the bottom end I'll get it rebuilt properly, but since its a repair and not a replacement of a working product I don't consider it in my staging. None of my mods technically require a bottom end rebuild, since APS' TT kit seems to be holding up well and even with the EBC and cam I'm not after that much more power.
As you can see, I'm almost at Stage 1 Complete. Once I get there, I'll have to decide if I suck it in and go to Stage 2 or leave the car at a mild upgrade but not that much more stressed than stock.
So, do other people have a modification roadmap?
Good Post.
I am an old fart so i guess I'm a little different to mainstream.
1. day one. Ordered the rays.
2. Ordered the Michelins
3. Did some intensive searching and this site is (THE BEST) ordered the Strosek body kit (actually very nice people to deal with).
4. about week 4. Ordered the APS,
5. Next day ordered the clutch.
6. About week 10 and lots of price hunting, ordered the JUN kit.
7. Next day, ordered the TEIN's.
8. Unsure about the total yellow look with the spoiler and flippers and splitter so ordered carbon bits for those. If they look ricey, then they are up for grabs. The flippers and spoiler will sell within minutes I feel.
9. I have to order the discs yet still looking.
My niece is a graphic designer and I have just commissioned her to design an identifying badge. i like STROSEK, and WALD , so something similar but...............dunno, TTR or TT_R over limited edition????????( to fit the nissan advertising _ theme) or just a couple of simple _TT after the 350Z badge. I intend to strip the nissan logo off the back but I believe there are two little impressions underneath, so that will be disappointing. Feel free to add your bits here folks.............re badging.
All mods will be done in a very short two weeks mid June, (I hope) and are sitting in a warehouse, with the JUN stuff arriving June 10.
Its rushed, but having modded for a lot of years, I have never walked into a kitted car when its still very new, so thats the motivation for me now. When youth is on your side, i recommend taking years to do your car, as it adds little pleasures along the way and pleasant interludes to what can be a mundane lifestyle when your locked into a 9-5.
Its not a daily driver, but should be fun once finished.
1. 1st disappointment would have to be the paint job so were off to a flying start. (a crowd in brisbane will sort this as they are full time into Porche ,BMW ,Mercedes repair people so a good quality colour match should be simple for them. Panel beaters out here are renound for their family trees being a straight line. That theory has been proven yet again I'm afraid.
Thats about it...............oh working on replacing the lower spring carriers (arm) on the rear and making that trailing arm adjustable for full rear end adjustment, (camber and toe). I have four scales on the workshop floor so that when we adjust the Teins, we park each wheel on a scale, and we are able to measure the force on each wheel (and adjust) to arrive at a balanced suspension package. (something we used to do when on the circuit before).
Whoops, I guess an LSD would make this a more interesting drive, so I'll be looking at that very soon.

View the Project

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:37 AM
Touring Member

cam and turbo are a good idea to do at the same time. so that would be your stage 2b.

quality over quantity
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I forgot to mention that part.

Hand-in-hand with your roadmap should be a purpose to the vehicle.

Mine's a daily driven street machine that makes regular forays to the track. Hence why all of my choices are "compromise" parts. I could get more power or handling, but it would be a pain to get around town or interstate.

At the same time, I want it quicker than stock and I'll put up with a little more NVH, peaking power delivery, etc to get it.

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Touring Member

i agree with your idea. we want a mild street-tune and not a harsh track-only car. else you'd have to trailer it everywhere and it'd be a pain in the a$$. a stage 3 puck type of clutch, for example, is for all purposes pointless for daily-driving. we want reliability to remain intact whilst enjoying the benefits of tuning --avoiding becoming a full-on slave to tuning. i've seen some people overtune their cars to the point where they are indeed fast, but are entirely a horror to drive daily.

if i'm going for a track car, i'd just go ahead and do it all the way with a cage, stripped interior, a standalone unit for fuel mapping, a surge tank in the trunk ("boot"), coilovers, bride or recaro type of seats, momo type of steering wheel, hybrid turbo setup, much more. otherwise, who am i kidding? i'd rather have a nice mild tune on a street car than to molest my car as a half-measure attempt to create a pseudo track vehicle. there comes a point when a goal and a tuning ethos come into play that seeks to establish certain parameters. otherwise, the car becomes farther from ever being "finished," with the same car beaten to death like a dead horse in a never-ending modding circle jerk.

get a car for the track. and get one for the street. and then establish goals for each.

quality over quantity
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 AM
Performance Member

well my road map kinda went out of the window when i picked up my car

it already had the aps TT kit installed.
and a nice sterio and i like my lip and wing

All i needed to do was add my TE37 and im happy how it looks

just king springs.... :'( WHY.

also why an extreme clutch... its horrid and killed my gearbox

so what im doing is waiting for a month then in 1 hit

ATS twin plate carbon clutch
New gearbox *if it can be found* *lost in transport atm*
new whiteline swaybars front and rear
new bilstien coilovers
new ATS 1.5way carbon lsd
and full service.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for bumping this thread. Its reminding me of what I had planned, and how far I've deviated.

In a nutshell, not far. Aside from that bodykit I'm pretty much still on my roadmap (and still at Stage 1).

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Stage 3 (I'm sure I would have sold the car before I get to this stage)

1. Ugraded internals (rods, pistons, etc)
2. APS Extreme Fuel System
3. And whatever other parts need to be upgraded to get the power to the ground.
And hey, technically you did sell the car before you got to this stage ;)

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
O, this has been in my head for a while, but I've never gotten to spit it out...

Stage 1:
Wheels
Small fun stuff, like Fairlady badge, etc.

Stage 2:
APS TT
Everything that goes with it...Exhaust, UTEC, etc.

Stage 3:
Coilovers
Sways
Control Arms
BBK

Stage 4:
Carbon Doors
Carbon Hatch
Carbon Hood
Repaint car, remove any dents, lol. Roof/pillars black, doors and below a deeper blue.

Stage 5:
Built motor

I am on the BBK right now...
The paint might come later....would rather have another car when I do that...

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement