1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sam:

That's the thing that I was thinking about doing... but due to the cost involve.... I think making a one-off will be $$$$.... I am thinking about getting the lower plenum made out with 6 short trumpets coming up (either up right or at an angle) and with an upper plenum cover those trumpets.... more like a M5 engine but less the individual throttle bodies...

What do you guys think of this idea?

cheers,

richie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

///M3 CSL - Stock Standard - this one is here to stay
///E90 325i - Fully loaded.....
///M Coupe (Z3) - Fully restored and has gone to a new owner... - SOLD
Nismo S1 350Z - 350+HP with 8200rpm glory has gone to a new owner... - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Richie,

Do you know the Nismo valve spring part number?

<span style="font-family:Arial">
APS Twin Turbo for Sale + Extras

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Grand Touring Member

Murray:

the valve spring part number is:

13203-RRZ30-S

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.sil-chem.com/rlchen/20.JPG');}" />

On nismo website, the part number has an extra "S" at the end, but on the parts that I got from nismo, it wasn&#39;t there... I already double checked with nismo and the part number that I have got there... they are the same thing...

cheers,

richie

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Grand Touring Member

Murray:

FYI, there are the actual lower plenum, upper plenum and also the "lower plenum pipes" that&#39;s on our cars.... and yes... that&#39;s my engine when it was all apart.... I think it shouldn&#39;t be too hard to replace the "lower plenum pipces" with trumpets though?! or even attach trumpets on top of that as the runners are actually quite long already?!

and if you want to see more engine parts from our car.... just check with the URL and change the numbers at the end of the URL... the number runs up to 20.JPG only...

cheers,

richie

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Cool, thanks Richie!!

Yeah thats interesting about the lower manifold pipes.

<span style="font-family:Arial">
APS Twin Turbo for Sale + Extras

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Touring Member

Richie, just don&#39;t make your runners too short. You&#39;ll loose all of your low end torque, but gain HP high in the rev range, it could also suit your cams.

Within the next few weeks i&#39;m going to take a dremel to my lower and upper plenum. I&#39;m going to remove the 6 posts in the upper plenum (since they don&#39;t do a thingwith my spacer, remove some material where I think might be helpful and either polish it or finish it off with 240 grit sandpaper. I her people mentioning different things about it, some say do a rough finish with sandpaper since it&#39;s going to improve the aerodynamics of the surface, kind of like a golf ball where there are turbulances created on the surface and make the ball travel further.

There&#39;s also other people who suggest making a perfectly smooth finish, since it&#39;s going to be more slick and it&#39;s also going to reduce surface area and there&#39;s going to be less heat transfer from the metal to the air.

I&#39;m sort of leaning towards the 240 grit finish since it&#39;s a lot less time consuming.

Own: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (V2)
RIP: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (V1)
RIP: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Sold: 2003 Nissan 350z

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Grand Touring Member

the golf ball analogy is believable, and would work if the plenum was circular and you could maintain the same dimpled finish throughout the entire plenum

imo going smooth would promote better air flow, but not by much. If you&#39;ve got the tools and time then go for it, otherwise i wouldnt bother personally

pm or email for your Microfibre Cloths, Waffle Weave Drying Towels, Microfibre Sponges/Mitts and Applicator Pad needs

- SOLD
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Grand Touring Member

I&#39;m with TPIACE.

I&#39;m not sure you want turbulence in any pipes you want to flow air as quickly as possible.

A golf ball is different since that turbulence might provide more lift (to give you more range), but creating eddies in your air flow just causes restrictions and uneven pressure regions within your air container.

There&#39;s probably a reason why tuners polish their ports to get them as smooth as possible. Its certainly not a quick or fun job.....

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 02:03 AM
Touring Member

Good point, that means that I might have to delay this since it&#39;s going to take me even more time then I&#39;ve at the moment. I assume 3-4 days I guess, dremel isn&#39;t the fastest tool in the world so it will take a while.

Own: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (V2)
RIP: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675 (V1)
RIP: 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Sold: 2003 Nissan 350z

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 06:55 AM

a post from the past, but new to the forum, I was searching GT300 engine bay photos and saw your post and read them. I may be able to help some of you with in regards to information on the GT300/ST1/ST3 engines.

GT300 ran 95.5mm pistons,
Pistons pins were moved further up the pistons and there was virtually no skirt
147.6mm rod length, (titanium)
20mm pins but 3.59mm thick each side with a length of 52mm. (taper was 2mm to 3.6mm in the span of 10mm each side.
The heads were GT spec, ran titanium valves xeledyne? made in USA
They used special double valve springs, based on SR retainer, and special spring seats that varied from 1.5 to 3+mm,
lifters also were special and used various sizes from 34 to 35mm, and use SR20 shims,
Camshafts were low duration due to the 24.8mm restrictors, final spec was 268/12.3In and 266/12.0 ex and helped the engine make max power [email protected],
unrestricted they made 480hp on the engine dyne.
Throttle wise the first development was a 12 injector barrel throttle setup, which used a geared system.
in 07 they changed to a 12 injector butterfly setup, only 7 barrel and 4 butterfly were ever made.
Blocks had an integrated oil pump, which was geared. and highly technical.
Crankshaft weighed only 14.9~15.2kg. (Normal crank from Nismo weighed 18.9kg) it had 4 oil holes, on the journals, (I still have a crank) its incredible.
conrods weighed approx 410g
Pistons weighed 375 and 350g depending on spec.....
Compression was approx 14.0

ST1 (380RS engine used a special crank also)

ST3 ran VK45 titanium valves and VQ30DE lifters (solid) with Nismo valve springs

Hope that may have been interesting to some of you
MartinZ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement