Times for 400m runs in Oz... - Page 10 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
QUOTE (Monk13 @ Jan 8 2009, 09:32 AM)
Quote:
Got traction??? Seems like we dont. FAT BASTARD Z'S. Very hard to get moving off the line due to the low down torque as well.

Took the Z down the drags last night, got in 13 runs with a best of [email protected] (96.05mph) with a 2.296 60'.
The Z axle tramps really badly off the line. The suspension geometry is designed for corners, not drags. The gearing on an 03 isn't too bad. I found I was pretty much at the limiter in 4th at the trap.

That said, your choice of rims and tyres aren't ideal for drags. 19" rims are going to have a lot of rotational inertia. And I've heard pretty variable things about Marangoni tyres.

I ran a 14.005 at WSID with just a HiTech catback on, with 245/45 R17 Falken RT215s (they were worn to the indicators, throw away tyres a mate was getting rid of) on the stock Touring wheels. I ran around a 2.1s 60' time. I did burnouts on them

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
I found I was pretty much at the limiter in 4th at the trap.

Are you sure about that Alan? That would put you at close to 180kph trap speed wise ... and with that you shoud be running mid 12sec passes.

I'd expect the revs to be sowewhere just below 6,000rpm in 4th, which would put the trap speed a tad over 160kph.

Regards,
David
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Grand Touring Member

My measured trap is 100mph according to WSID.

I just remember being so close to redline that I wasn't sure if I should just grab 5th instead.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...

post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Touring Member

QUOTE (scathing @ Jan 11 2009, 03:24 AM)
Quote:
The Z axle tramps really badly off the line. The suspension geometry is designed for corners, not drags. The gearing on an 03 isn't too bad. I found I was pretty much at the limiter in 4th at the trap.

That said, your choice of rims and tyres aren't ideal for drags. 19" rims are going to have a lot of rotational inertia. And I've heard pretty variable things about Marangoni tyres.

I ran a 14.005 at WSID with just a HiTech catback on, with 245/45 R17 Falken RT215s (they were worn to the indicators, throw away tyres a mate was getting rid of) on the stock Touring wheels. I ran around a 2.1s 60' time. I did burnouts on them
I realise theat the tyre size etc are not ideal for the drags but was mainly interested in seeing what it would do in full sreet guise. I even had the spare etc in the car as well. and as for the Marangoni's, they seem to hold up fairly well as an 'all round' tyre, IMO. IE: had them out at barbagello and they performed better than I expected to, And they also hold well out in the hills, and general day to day driving as well. I will, however be trying something new next time tyre replacement come's up.

An almost 14 flat with 245 17's does sound plausible. Next time I head down to the drags will be with 17's and stock sized rubber to see if there is any difference. (gonna be awhile till I do suspension mods.... damned low cash flow ATM....)

QUOTE (DavidM @ Jan 11 2009, 06:43 AM)
Quote:
I found I was pretty much at the limiter in 4th at the trap.

Are you sure about that Alan? That would put you at close to 180kph trap speed wise ... and with that you shoud be running mid 12sec passes.

I'd expect the revs to be sowewhere just below 6,000rpm in 4th, which would put the trap speed a tad over 160kph.
I had my shift light set to 6300, for most of it and was in the top end of fourth gear when crossing the line as well....

WANTED: Rich uncle. About to die. Must be willing to leave me all his money.
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
My measured trap is 100mph according to WSID. I just remember being so close to redline that I wasn't sure if I should just grab 5th instead. ... had my shift light set to 6300, for most of it and was in the top end of fourth gear when crossing the line as well

Interesting. That would indicate that the rolling diameter of your tyres was smaller than expected (ie. OE). So maybe the tyres were smaller (ie. shorter)? Or maybe running such low pressures in the tyres has the same effect as running smaller tyres? ... which is plausible.

Regards,
David
post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Touring Member

The rolling diameter on my tyres is a little smaller than stock, not by too much though. The tyre sized calculator on the miata.net site says that my wheel/tyre combo is spinning 2.9% too fast. IE: speedo reads 60mph but really doing 58.3 (using 235/50/17 vs 275/30/19). which would explain being in the top end of fourth, due to the "shorter gearing" so to speak...

WANTED: Rich uncle. About to die. Must be willing to leave me all his money.
post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Base Member

Hi guys,

I ran at WSID last night.

Best of 14.2 @ 101mph, with a terrible 60ft time of 2.23. This is in an early 05 non rev-up track.

Only had 3 runs, and on my final run the clutch pedal stayed on the floor. I need a new clutch master cylinder...

Anyway, mods are pop charger, motordyne plenum spacer and a HKS legamax y-pipe back exhaust (which is not much louder than stock..) - running on RE001s.

Hopefully if i can manage to get my 60ft times down to 2.0 i may just be able to sneak into the 13s.
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
terrible 60ft time of 2.23

That's a pretty good 60' time for the Zed ... have a look at the other 60' times posted here . With a 2.0 60' time, the Zed should be good for mid to high 13s.

Regards,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement