Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Eugene Relyea

3K views 28 replies 3 participants last post by  Eugene Relyea 
#1 ·
Howdy, new here . Own a 2004 350Z touring model. Doing a restoration on her . She’s super black . Dude that had her before me, was a slob . She was filthy. So far I’ve detailed the engine bay . Replaced front reflector, drivers side . Front splash guards and mud flaps and rear splash guards. Hatchback struts and springs. Antenna. She’s coming right along. I need a driver’s side leather seat. Been a z guy since 240z was introduced. After that I had two 280 z’s a 2+2 and a regular one . Both were clean as could be . Later respect, Geno , my nickname is Geno

#4 ·
Got underneath babes (my car’s name),a lot of broken splash guards, I’m gonna have to replace my bumper cover, I replaced the wheel well liners and found some broken brackets, and I have to replace the lower engine cover, instead of the OEM plastic one , I’m gonna use Zspeed’s aluminum one . I don’t see how I can repair the bumper cover that’s on her . Looks like dude ran over a few sidewalks or speed bumps. I found a front bumper fascia kit for 340.00, I’ll go with that. The whole corner of my bumper cover passenger side is broken off ☹Hated seeing that. But I’ll deal with it. Take care thx again Geno

#5 ·
Geno- with the amount of damage you found to your splash shields, I'd also recommend you check the composite radiator mount, as they can be damaged as well. You need it to be intact to install the ZSpeed aluminum replacement. You'll also need plenty of the push pin type of connectors to replace the bumper cover and fender liners, so try to buy them off ebay or amazon, rather than the dealer. It's a LOT cheaper!

#11 ·
She has 203,800,the engine and transmission are in great shape . So is the interior. So I’ll be rolling once I deal with painting her , the bumper kit , brakes, seat covers and engine bay cover under shroud.I just replaced the hatchback struts. So I’m moving right along.

#12 ·
You might want to try my method for replacing parts. Every time that happens, I try to get a better part to replace the worn one. One example is to consider replacing the standard brakes with the Brembo/Akebono calipers, pads and rotors. Sure, it costs a bit more, but they'll still function with the OEM brake master and you'll end up with ABS brakes that work MUCH better and longer!

Paint is another matter, but black is not as expensive to shoot, but it's tempting to consider some of the darker metallic paints like L40 (Interlagos Fire), G41 (Magnetic Black) or BW5 (San Marino Blue) that might work with the KH3 Super Black paint that's likely your original color.

#15 · (Edited)
When I buy a car as a project, a
fter checking it out mechanically, I look at the condition of the body , make sure there’s no rust . I trusted my dad to pick me up a 280Z, he had just picked up a one owner 79,25k on her and a garage baby. She was like brand new, and he got her for 1,500.00. So I gave him 2500.00 so he had something to play with. He finds a 79-2+2 it’s wedged between two cars. It looked clean from where he said he was standing. Paid the guy 2,000.00 and drove it home . Once he got it home and in the garage, he almost had a heart attack. Rust everywhere, even worse to hide the rust , dude spread Bondo over the rust and then sprayed over it. My little brother got out a body work hammer ? tapped one of the wheel wells and the whole wheel well fell off . My dad , drove to Lake Havasu to pick me up , but didn’t have my car . Right there I knew something was wrong. On the drive to San Clemente, he kept making excuses about the car . Well it was getting dark out and the lighting sucked. It was wedged between two cars so I couldn’t see it . I was never so bummed out in my life . I couldn’t believe he paid for it . It had cancer everywhere. Floor board , running board, wheel well’s, hatchback. I wanted to cry . There was no restoring her . I had to improvise, bondo,fiberglass, chicken wire . I removed all the rust , then I replaced parts that could be replaced, the wheel wells, I put a wide flat on them , then i blocked the entire car . Cost a lot of time and money, but
she was **** when I was done. So I look at the condition of the body , dents etc,. Once I’m happy with it, I decide what color I’m gonna paint it . If it’s the same color , or dark you really don’t have to worry about primer (only places that are bare),I’ve sprayed magenta over black , even red over black and it came out nice . If your going light , like white or a pearl, I’d take it all the way down, then primer it, then spray it . At ultra limousine, I had a friend that had a red Ferrari and he wanted it magenta. We roughed out the paint (wet sanded it) taped it off , then sprayed it right there on the building floor . Normally I would have used the paint booth , but Vinnie Burgman the owner had his Corvette in there. It came out nice . Lightly sanded it , then buffed it out , he was stoked and it didn’t cost him 8 grand ?.I don’t have to block my Z. Take off the clear coat , tape her off , then spray it . There’s a lot more to it . I have to take off the front and rear bumper, hang them and I have to clean up the mud flaps and splash guards ( spray and clear coat),I’ll use the same paint that’s listed on my pink slip. The number Nissan used.
It’s all in the details. The more time you spend preparing the car the better the paint job. A perfect tape off= a perfect paint job. While I’m at it I look for any rubber trim or weather stripping that is dry rotten, needs to be replaced. Weather stripping is another thing that can make or break a good restoration. Another thing is if it needs body work and I bought it , knowing I had to repair it . I do it right . Replace the wheel well if needed. But if it’s a situation where you have to do dent repair, I use sheet metal , lead rather than a lot of Bondo. Bondo is good for small areas, but a large area I’d try and go with lead, fiberglass, or any other way possible. Bondo is easy to detect. Body shops tend to go overboard with it. Wow! Sorry for the long reply.

#16 ·
Babes, then under my hood after detailing it. Right and left headlights after being polished

Attachments

#17 ·
Man , my composite radiator bracket- headlight bucket is a mess. Driving the other day I heard a thud and a broken piece fell off into the street. And I can’t find it in any diagrams.

Attachments

#21 ·
I’m not sure it looks like he ran over the curb or sidewalk while parking, or he hit a speed bump to fast and low . Passenger side is broken, drivers side is missing completely. Now I see why everything was hanging down . I overlooked this part of her when I was checking her out to purchase.

#24 ·
Here’s some pictures, as I get further along restoring her I’ll be sure to share my progress. Right now I’m working on the air intake duct,LH&RH. One was broken and hanging there the whole bottom , had fallen off (passengers side)drivers side missing completely. Since it’s missing parts of my splash guard, just hangs there. No way to secure it . I’m working from here forward and when it’s done, I’ll get to the back bumper. Then brakes all the way around. Then wheels and tires. Grand finale..... I’ll paint her ... Alright, you people are way kewl and I dig being here. and even more , sharing with all of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.