SoloPro driving school. What I learned. - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SoloPro driving school. What I learned.

http://www.soloprodrivingschool.com/

I recently took the SoloPro driving school, (intro and comp) with Tim Aro and Neal Tovsen. They do a great job zeroing in on the specific areas you as an individual need to work on, and helping you improve as a driver.

Here are the things the class helped me with:

*Car control skills are supposed to be plan “B”. At the end of my first run, on the first day, the instructor in the passenger seat (Neal) says, “You have amazing car control skills!” As my ego began to swell and I started to thank him for the compliment, he politely said (paraphrase here) “If you were doing what you were supposed to do, I never would have known that.” (Ouch!)

I was driving just on the “overdriving” side of the sweet spot and using car control to “get away with it”. My times were decent, but my approach required way too much effort, and sometimes, even luck.

*Just because there is no drama, doesn’t mean you’re going slow. Taking care to avoid the need for little “bail-outs” throughout my runs, things felt a little too calm. -Too easy. But my times were not suffering.

*Position first,then speed. It's not like I didn't know position is important, but I was not giving car placement enough priority. Put the car where it’s supposed to be and speed comes with relative ease. If you fail to position the car properly, everything else will be an up-hill battle, if not a losing one. And when you are trying to get that last 5%, "close enough" isn't.

*Look ahead. This is not news to any veteran driver, including me. But it is considerably easier to do when you aren’t busy making corrections. Looking ahead >helps you place the car >helps you avoid drama> helps you look ahead > and so on.

The most helpful thing for me to get my head around.... (I made up a new phrase just for this.)

*Fast is the end of the equation. After my first run on the second day, I knew my head wasn’t in the game yet. It felt a little messy and more difficult than the day before. The instructor turned to me and said, "That wasn’t a bad time but it seemed like you were just trying to go fast." I was thinking, “Duh, isn’t that why we are all here?” Luckily, I took a moment to think before speaking. (A rare occurrence for me) That’s when I realized the point he was making. “Fast” is the result of doing the things you’re supposed to do. Do the things you know you’re supposed to do and it will equal “fast”.

I have had the benefit of autocrossing with national trophy winners on a regular basis so I have had good
references to compare my skills to. My times have been pretty good, but I could tell by watching the top-tier guys (sometimes from the passenger seat of my own car) that I was often doing things the hard way.

This school made me a little faster. But it made the sport a lot easier for me.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 05-03-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
Awesome write up! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to get back to the track!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that sounds awesome!

Daily Driver (65k miles): APS Intercooled TT, Built Motor, Arias, Eagle, HKS, UTEC, Deutschworks, Wilwood BBK, MB Weapons, Nito NT 555RII, ACT clutch, Fidanza flywheel, KW Variant 3 coilovers, Hotchkis sways, Cusco control arms, Authentic JDM Spec Nismo V2 body kit, Z Speed, Quiafe, HID, AIT R1 Hood, HKS EVC, HKS Hi Flow, custom 3" TD exhaust, APS 3.5" down pipes, GReddy, Defi, AEM

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's a helluva good list of pointers. Now I need to practice them on a real track with real instructors.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it is always nice to be with guys that know what they ate doing, they make it look so easy

03 350Z 554RWHP
-
- 90 300ZX TT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement