User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey everyone I'm new to "350z-tech" and I've spent last few days on this to find answers to my questions (please don't get angry if I ask a question that's already been asked) I haven't had my 350z for long and I'll post pics of it when I take some pics. So I was just wondering if some of you guys can help answer a few quick questions to do with getting my car moving-

When I am starting from stationary and the clutch is fully depressed:

Should I step on the accelerator and hold it at 2500rpm and then release the clutch slowly?

OR;

Should I release the clutch slowly to the friction point and then step on the gas as I continue to release the clutch?

Is there a difference in the two techniques because I have found that at the traffic lights, I lift off the line pretty slowly :(
Any help will be appreciated!

-Tommiiee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 AM
Enthusiast Member

Send a message via AIM to 92K1500 Send a message via MSN to 92K1500 Send a message via Yahoo to 92K1500
I honestly don't know how I do it anymore. Kinda tap the gas while letting out the pedal at the same time. In reverse I will pulse the gas until the clutch it all the way out.

Everyone has their own technique. Find what works best for you while slipping the clutch the least and use it. lol
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Grand Touring Member

I also kinda tap on the gas to raise the RPM a little then let out the clutch.

I think holding 2500 rpm is probably too much. That's almost something you would do if you want to launch quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Do you mean tapping as in just tap and then release the accelerator or do you mean putting the foot on the gas (accelerator) lightly and leaving it there and eventually add more?

Also this might seem stupid but what do you mean by "slipping the clutch"

Thanks heaps, I just came back from a drive and didn't stall at all which is good but it doesn't seem like 1st gear likes to go above 25km/h because when I stick it in 2nd, there's a clunk sound :( (which I read about here and might be my clutch)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Grand Touring Member

QUOTE (Tommiiee @ Jan 19 2010, 06:58 PM)
Quote:
When I am starting from stationary and the clutch is fully depressed:

Should I step on the accelerator and hold it at 2500rpm and then release the clutch slowly?

OR;

Should I release the clutch slowly to the friction point and then step on the gas as I continue to release the clutch?
It depends on how confident you are with a manual.

When you're learning, I find it's best to "set" your RPM with the throttle before bringing the clutch up to the friction point. That way you can minimise the chance of "bunny hopping" or stalling. At first set it higher than you need (although 2500RPM is a lot higher than necessary, unless you're doing a hill start or racing someone else).

Treat the clutch and throttle as either sides of a scale. As one side goes down, the other goes up simultaneously.

As your experience improves, you'll find yourself dropping the RPM lower and lower. It makes you sound like less of a n00b, and it's less wear on your clutch.

I doubt that, on a flat road, I'll go over 1000RPM before hitting the friction point these days unless I want to take off quickly. I know I don't hit the friction point at idle unless the traffic is crawling and there's no point using the throttle.

QUOTE (Tommiiee @ Jan 19 2010, 06:58 PM)
Quote:
Is there a difference in the two techniques
The first one sounds more like a hill start technique.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast Member

Send a message via AIM to 92K1500 Send a message via MSN to 92K1500 Send a message via Yahoo to 92K1500
I can make it all the way into 4th gear without touching the throttle :D

It is slower than molasses but I can do it.

Slipping the clutch means beyond the friction point but not locked down fully. Slipping it between the pressure plate and the flywheel. That is wearing the clutch down and getting things hot.

And my tapping I mean just lightly tap and let off the gas just to bump the rpm's up to about 1500-2k or something.

I'm about to go out to the bank and to Walmart. If you want I can take a video for you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone for helping me out. Drove for a few hours today and I think practice practice practice will make me better thank you!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Practice is indeed the way to go. You will eventually get to the point where you're not even thinking about it. And that's the problem with asking veterans... we've all been doing it so long, we have to stop and think about what it is that we're actually doing.

-Ronin Z

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You may want to even practice without touching the gas - as Brian said, you can start without stalling out without ever touching it. Really gives a feel for the engagement point of the clutch.

Hotchkis Z1 Motorsports JWT Hawk SSR Crawford
ZeeToyz Valentine Sumitomo Royal Purple Zaino

I like my 350 but I love my 300ZX TT more.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Base Member

Im going through the same stages and I found out that rwd manual is certainly different than fwd manual.

Thus i dont have any problems going in reverse LOL.

I found that im just under 1300 rpm when i feel it engage nicely and smooth enough so that it wont stall. I tried the bliping method and its a bit sketchy, feels very abusive on the clutch too (works great on hondas tho). I think a lot of my problems came from the RWD difference, i never had any issues with fwd before. The Z also has a terrible tranny IMO, my friends bmw 328i is almost 10 years old and its very nice and smooth in all gears, especially at starting. So dont stress too much, you just have to get used to it.

I found on level ground its best to slowly release the clutch without the gas but have it ready to go and then as you feel it grip give it gas bit by bit. So i vote method #2 for normal flat driving and in theory option #1 for uphill or slight slopes, but lower the revs, even around 1500 should be fine. Just dont take forever riding the clutch, its a nice way to burn it out if you do it for too long/too often.

If you have any friends with motorcycles/atvs, they can teach you about clutches and you will learn a lot quicker since its a hand clutch. I learned to drive stick on my atv and they have so much torque you can get going uphill with no gas Now those things rip off the line. Wet clutches are also more forgiving.

I learned to get a better feel of the Z by driving at night around my neighborhood and following all traffic laws, stopping often and starting as if there was traffic around me. I had the same issue as you where i found even shitty little cars would take off like bullets vs my 350z. Also try to get out of 1st as soon as you can

Another tip is trying a different pair of shoes, as stupid as it may sound, older shoes or ones with a thinner sole will give you a better feel of the clutch engagement. My work out Pumas were ideal when I was getting used to it. After a few hours you will do it by feel and sound.

Im getting better but still learning, this is after i drove it 800 miles from the dealer.

Good luck

Last edited by Linuxglobal; 09-15-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement