User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
i have done a bit of the heel-toe downshifting tequnique and its very hard to do on the z. the accelerator pedal is farther back than the brake and i have to slam on the brake to bend my heel back far enoughf to get the rpm's high enoughf to slide it down. i dont know why.?? had anyone else had this probelm??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<span style="color:#000000">You take the children... But you leave me my monkey..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Grand Touring Member

Yup, I have that problem too so I gave up. I just can&#39;t get it to get it.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Performance Member

QUOTE (fallen612 @ Sep 23 2008, 01:11 PM)
Quote:
i have done a bit of the heel-toe downshifting tequnique and its very hard to do on the z. the accelerator pedal is farther back than the brake and i have to slam on the brake to bend my heel back far enoughf to get the rpm&#39;s high enoughf to slide it down. i dont know why.?? had anyone else had this probelm??
Hey Warren,

Check this out: Sparco Pedals

I found the 350Z difficult to heel/toe, too. The spacing between the brake and throttle pedal was too wide and my foot would keep slipping off the brake -- not good!

I added just the throttle pedal cover and it did the trick. Now I can use the prefered method of blipping with the side of my foot instead of trying to contort my heel over there. It&#39;s much easer to maintain consistant brake pressure this way.

Better yet, it&#39;s just a bolt on (with the aluminum pedals, anyway) -- no drilling holes required. If you decide it&#39;s not for you, just take it off!

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

"A squealing tire is a happy tire."

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to jetpilot718
The Z is easy to "heel-toe" in. The reason I put that in quotations, is because you aren&#39;t really heel toeing. You should be using another technique called "Rolling" your foot. Basically, place the ball of your foot on the brake pedal, and roll the rest of your foot onto the throttle to blip as necessary. And practice, practice, practice. This method has worked in every MT production car I have ever driven. Race cars can be different, but the pedals are adjustable.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
o i ddidnt know about that one. i will try it on the way to school tommorow. but i will practice a bit with the car off first!!

<span style="color:#000000">You take the children... But you leave me my monkey..
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Grand Touring Member

QUOTE (1flyer2 @ Sep 24 2008, 07:04 AM)
Quote:
I can use the prefered method of blipping with the side of my foot instead of trying to contort my heel over there. It&#39;s much easer to maintain consistant brake pressure this way.
Its a matter of practice. I used to use the sides of my foot as well, until I bought Speedcats and the shoes weren&#39;t wide enough.

At first I was struggling with changing my heel toe technique, but after a while its become natural. Now I twist the foot around, but I can still do it well enough to run consistently quick circuit times.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Performance Member

QUOTE (scathing @ Sep 23 2008, 08:54 PM)
Quote:
Its a matter of practice. I used to use the sides of my foot as well, until I bought Speedcats and the shoes weren&#39;t wide enough.

At first I was struggling with changing my heel toe technique, but after a while its become natural. Now I twist the foot around, but I can still do it well enough to run consistently quick circuit times.

I have Speedcats, too. They look and feel great, but are very, very narrow. Since I installed the Sparco throttle pedal, I can use the Speedcats without having to adjust my technique.

I&#39;ve been driving the Skip Barber cars and you need to roll your foot in those, so I thought it would be best to fix the spacing in the Z instead of trying to master 2 methods.

I have my hands (or is that feet) full trying to do one method well!

Cheers!

"A squealing tire is a happy tire."
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Grand Touring Member

Yeah, you lose practice if you don&#39;t do it.

For a while I could do both, but as I was wearing Speedcats every day for about half a year I pretty much forgot how to just use the sides of my foot.

Now that I regularly wear AF1&#39;s, I can use the sides of the foot but it feels weird and I&#39;m not getting the timing right.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Enthusiast Member

In my GSX I could very easily heal toe and rev match my down shifts like a pro ( like I would in a touge race ). With the 350z I find it a little hard with the way the pedals are set up and by the extremely fast throttle response it has compared to the GSX.. I am getting better at the rev matching, 3ed to 2ed I find the hardest.

"Making everyday drivers into mechanics since 1989".

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
ALL SUPPORTING MODS-Megan racing turbo back, afc neo, BIG16g turbo, SBR manifold, 44mm Tial external wastegate, Greedy RS BOV, Walbro 190lph , 650cc injecters, 2G MAF, stage 1 clutch.....MORE TO COME

"I call her Thug Nasty"

2003 Nissan 350Z
MOD-Tanabe GF210 springs, Tokiko Blue, S2000 antenna, Rotas P45R +20 18X9.5 255/40/18 275/40/18. [email protected] drop in
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Touring Member

+1 for rolling the foot. I find myself doing it pretty much all the time as well. even when driving sedately. keeps the practise in i suppose.

WANTED: Rich uncle. About to die. Must be willing to leave me all his money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement