DRIFTING.....anyone have techniques they would like to share - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to 1320 racing
(Thread Starter)
yea well anyway, yup im a neewb but really interested in drifting. i can drive sideways in the rain all day long just not sure how to get my z sideways in the dry...lol...yea i no i suck. but if anyone would like to share sum technique it would def. be appreciated. thnxs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 AM
Base Member

QUOTE (1320 racing @ Aug 15 2008, 02:06 AM)
Quote:
yea well anyway, yup im a neewb but really interested in drifting. i can drive sideways in the rain all day long just not sure how to get my z sideways in the dry...lol...yea i no i suck. but if anyone would like to share sum technique it would def. be appreciated. thnxs

well by adding a twin turbo and 100 shot of nos might do the trick. im sure u will have no problem making it go sideways.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yea twin turbo and a shot of nos probly would do the trick......but ummm i dont have 10 grand lying around either.so anyone else have any other knowlege on drifting

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Enthusiast Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dj_flameskull
switch off VDC and then keep on stomping on the gas.

a guy told me to start off by driving around in circular motion faster and faster until your car starts to drift. this way you can learn more of the car's behavior as it drifts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Touring Member

^he is correct above. but when your first learning go to a big open parking lot(or a track would be better) where its flat, has no light poles or anything, and espically no people or other cars around. you dont want to take a chance of hurting yourself, others, or your z. but once you have found that just go in a circle and see when your car breaks loose like he said. then once you can control how you can break it loose when you want it to. start doing figure 8 and try to go over and over your tire marks keeping the same motion. after thats done go to walmart adn get some plastic cones in the sports section. set them up as a little course. try some 90 degree turns, some 180 degree turn at the end. maby some 45 in there. but do it smooth first. not oblong corners. after that you should be a pretty good drifter. if you can break it loose when you want and hold it where you want to go. also have money left over for some new tires. peferably buy 2 stock wheels and have some cheap tires on them. and put those on your z when you drift. saves money and damage on the wheel. and you will want to have some money put away for some touching up of the rear end because you sling up alot of rocks. and they scratch her really easily. but you should be good to go.

post up some vids of your progress and every one will be happy to give you some pointers.!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<span style="color:#000000">You take the children... But you leave me my monkey..
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Grand Touring Member

The Z&#39;s got so much rear end grip that its hard to keep the tail out. The only way I can do it is to kick the clutch when its about to hook up.

Having shagged rear tyres helps too.

You can drift in the wet which means you know how to balance the car on the throttle, and countersteer. I have mates who drift, and they say that drifting in the wet is more difficult technically as your limits are lower and so the controllable area around the limit is narrower. However, drifting in the dry requires a lot more commitment as you need to do everything at a faster speed to get to the car to break away, and stay away.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yea thanks for all the info guys i will def be trying sum of this pretty soon.....and dont worry when i do i will have some stocks on the z b/c she is now rollin on 19&#39;&#39; motegis w/ nitto invo...not cheapo if you know what i mean
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Base Member

QUOTE (1320 racing @ Aug 15 2008, 08:30 PM)
Quote:
yea thanks for all the info guys i will def be trying sum of this pretty soon.....and dont worry when i do i will have some stocks on the z b/c she is now rollin on 19&#39;&#39; motegis w/ nitto invo...not cheapo if you know what i mean

hmm, setting up cones in a parking lot and racing without permission?? Sounds like a wreckless driving ticket waiting to happen.

if you want to learn how to drift your car, get hooked up with a local SCCA, NASA or drift club in your area. Legal, instructors available, and safe.. .

I&#39;ve whipped a few low speed, tire burnin U-turns to just learn how to control this car when it gets out of shape.. . not too bad to bring back under controll and I run 255/18fr and 275/19 setup. The Nitto Neogens stick pretty well for me. Probably helps that the pavement is about 120deg here in Arizona though! eeek!

- 2006 350Z Track, Dayton Blue, JWT intake. Gunning for 3100lb 1/2tank weight and 280whp NA.
- used to HPDE a 95 Civic w/ 210whp K20A2 6spd at 2480lbs w/driver & full tank
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Base Member

also, if you want to try this in a parking lot, this might work as well for just learning how to break the car loosekeep the car sideways

- Accelerate to a comfortable speed
- Start to turn in the direction you want to go slightly
- let completely off gas while over turning the wheel in the direction you want to turn. This tranfers your weight off the rear tires and puts the grip to the fronts(hopefully the rear end looses grip and jerks out a bit)
- when loose, slam the throttle and countersteer.

You can try this in 1st gear and then step up to 2nd gear. if you have stock hp, 3rd is going to be tricky and or impossible.

I deffinitelly reccomend cheap rims and tires for this. get a set of 235s/40/17s or 245/40/18s front and back. The stiffer the sidewall the better. try not to squeeze the tires onto the rims as well. use at least an 8" wide wheel for best results. 8.5" wide would be better.

- 2006 350Z Track, Dayton Blue, JWT intake. Gunning for 3100lb 1/2tank weight and 280whp NA.
- used to HPDE a 95 Civic w/ 210whp K20A2 6spd at 2480lbs w/driver & full tank
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast Member

Send a message via AIM to Payback_56 Send a message via MSN to Payback_56
yea i agree with scathing, u kick the clutch and go hard on the throttle thats how i do it anyway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement