DRIFTING.....anyone have techniques they would like to share - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Enthusiast Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stomp

Turn

Turn again

Hold it

Let off a little

Turn

HA!

"Making everyday drivers into mechanics since 1989".

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
ALL SUPPORTING MODS-Megan racing turbo back, afc neo, BIG16g turbo, SBR manifold, 44mm Tial external wastegate, Greedy RS BOV, Walbro 190lph , 650cc injecters, 2G MAF, stage 1 clutch.....MORE TO COME

"I call her Thug Nasty"

2003 Nissan 350Z
MOD-Tanabe GF210 springs, Tokiko Blue, S2000 antenna, Rotas P45R +20 18X9.5 255/40/18 275/40/18. [email protected] drop in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 PM
TSW
Base Member

Send a message via AIM to TSW Send a message via Yahoo to TSW
First,why don't you try the J-turn. You slam the accelorator when in reverse and then turn and that should probably swing your car into normal position. So, as you start to get into normal position, get your car into 1st gear and then hit the accelorator. It warms your tires up.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Base Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
best way to drift is to accelerate to 100mph on public highway. once you reached that proffered speed, start jerking your steering wheel in all directions as hard and fast as you can. that WILL make your car go sideways fo sho.

07 carbon gray 350Z base model daily driver
92 white race-prepped Miata w/ 2.0L 11.5:1 motor

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Base Member

haha the easiest way in this car is probably going so that your at 2500 rpms in third ...approach the turn... put in the clutch, down shift to 2nd.. get like a quarter into the turn and gun it for a sec... let off the clutch fast while the rpms are still high and bounce the throttle to keep it sideways...the only reason i say that is cause in this car if you do the accelerate let off so that the car jerks forwards slightly and then swing the back and gun it its mad hard to control and its not fluid... the way i said before feels like the back is on snow and then once u let it get traction you can control it easy... but the main thing is which ever way you do it be comfortable because if your hesistant it wont work... and do it in a safe place at first obviously
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Base Member

I first started in the rain on a safe turn near my house... by safe i mean no cops and not alot of traffic which is rare here in NJ ... anyways I started by rolling in first gear up too the turn and then stomped the gas to power over. after a couple successful turns in first gear i moved up to second. After i got some balls and confidence i started taking the turn at higher speeds on dry pavement. i only really like drifting on wet pavement because you dont have to punish your car and tires as much.. also you dont have to approach a turn at 40MPH + to do something impressive. If your new to drifting i would say start in the rain and take it slow... no need too total your car trying to be a hardass.. drifting isn't easy.
T.D.K_350z likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Base Member

Send a message via Skype™ to TempestZ
For a stock Z, the power over method works well. i also agree to get involved in the SCCA etc events, you will learn alot there talking to other fellow drifters. some will help you out and give you tips on how to better your driving, i actually had a guy take my car with me in it and show me better ways to hold the car sideways, then again i took it back over with him in the car and he was instructing me through the turns.
keep it up, and good luck!!
post up pics and vids if you can. everyone enjoys seeing a Z go sideways!

06 350z Enthusiast- Stock...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If everything seems to be in control, you're not going fast enough.- Mario Andretti

DNF beats DNS

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 AM
Base Member

First day I picked up my car.. I popped the clutch.. and drifted. Just hold the clutch down, floor it and let go of the clutch. It's not really a drift since you don't go far, but the back end kicks out.

You can also start turning around a corner, then when you are about to hit the apex of the corner, floor it, the back end should kick out.

Different way, if you want your car to be a toy... You could setup your ebrake to have a drift button, where it's loose, and you can lift up on it to drift.. ( i havn't done research on that, but I think that's what they do.. )
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSoot View Post
best way to drift is to accelerate to 100mph on public highway. once you reached that proffered speed, start jerking your steering wheel in all directions as hard and fast as you can. that WILL make your car go sideways fo sho.
AHH! NO! hahaha that's power sliding..
T.D.K_350z likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 03:02 PM

Keep on tramping on the smoke.

A fella told me to jolt off by powerful from one place to one more in circular motion faster and more rapidly until your car starts to drift. This way you can learn more of the car's behaviour as it drifts.

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:04 AM
Base Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will try this too. I love drifting .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement