LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
hey guys,

i picked up my '03 350Z (brembo) a week ago so i'm still getting to know the car and yesterday at the freeway i had a strange experience.

for the first time i was really flooring it and at around 150-155 mph someone far ahead of me switches to my lane so i start braking and the car begins to go all over the place.

it's hard to explain in words but it felt kinda like hydroplaning. i just couldn't keep the car dead straight. i just kept my cool, kept braking just hard enough not to hit the car infront of me at made very little adjustments in steering without forcing anything. i actually went outside of the lane i was driving on. it was "floating" that much.

is this normal with braking at high speed? what could have caused it?

i had my wheels aligned today and they said my wheels were almost aligned perfectly so that can't be it.

thnx,

reinier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
I would say doing 150+ on a public road would be a pretty bad idea all around.

That being said, keep the shiny side up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to [cerberus]
There was a member who had a new TT car but not the ability to drive it. He ended up flipped on the freeway shortly have her got it installed.

A lot of things can effect you at that speed. Your car gets a lot lighter due to the air pressure moving under the car. This can make it a lot easier for you to "float" across lanes with just the slightest cross wind, or say one brake caliper grabbing before the other side.

** Stop editing my posts **

Matt

Momentum Single Turbo 370whp & 360ftlbs

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
blue660r01

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
OP put your flame suit on.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
^^^ disregard that OP

anyway i think that no matter what brake system you got, going the speed you were then stomping the brake would pretty much have the same result. the key is to get use to applying the brake in increments instead of all at once. I learned this when driving on the autobahn in Germany so it is almost second nature to me though i didn't learn with the Z, so when i got it i had to take time and get use to how the car brakes. once you get use to how your brakes work it will become easier to know how much force to apply to the pedal.

2013 370Z w/Sport Package, Midnight Blue
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:51 PM

QUOTE (jinxxycat @ May 31 2008, 10:18 AM)
Quote:
I would say doing 150+ on a public road would be a pretty bad idea all around.

That being said, keep the shiny side up.
+1! Suggest looking into track event such as NASA, SCCA or NHRA for your drag racing. Learn to drive at lower speeds (100mph) before jumping into the heavy weight bout.

QUOTE (Steve350Z @ May 31 2008, 12:41 PM)
Quote:
anyway i think that no matter what brake system you got, going the speed you were then stomping the brake would pretty much have the same result. the key is to get use to applying the brake in increments instead of all at once. I learned this when driving on the autobahn in Germany so it is almost second nature to me though i didn't learn with the Z, so when i got it i had to take time and get use to how the car brakes. once you get use to how your brakes work it will become easier to know how much force to apply to the pedal.
+1 Again. Goes back to learning to drive the car at high speeds on a closed course.

'03 HRE 350Z TT Sold
'12 Forgeline G37S Daily
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Grand Touring Member

If you're stomping on the brakes you're going to unsettle the car. Unless you're running proper downforce, at those speeds you're going to have issues.

Did you notice the front or the back getting vague? If its the back, its par for the course as the weight shifts away from there, reducing traction. If its the front, then I'd investigate more closely.

Did you tell your suspension guy how fast you were going? Alignment settings for 70mph will not be the same as alignment settings for 150mph. You're going to want to run a lot more toe in, for starters, and if you're only interested in straight line stuff you can reduce the negative camber. Also, did they check the pressures? I find most tire shops don't, and this can have an effect on handling.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 AM

QUOTE (scenehouser @ May 31 2008, 11:16 AM)
Quote:
what could have caused it?
You pressed the brake pedal too hard.

QUOTE (Steve350Z @ May 31 2008, 01:41 PM)
Quote:
^^^ disregard that OP
He deserves to be flamed for going 150+ on a public road.

___TUNING CONCEPT, JAPAN PREMIER

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Grand Touring Member

QUOTE (illz33 @ Jun 1 2008, 12:43 PM)
Quote:
He deserves to be flamed for going 150+ on a public road.
Now that's not entirely fair.

The dude hasn't stated where he lives, from his posts and his member profile, but with a name like Reinier the idea that he lives near an autobahn, where its perfectly legal to sit at a buck fifty, isn't too far fetched.

"I swear, officer, its all factory options!"

Understeer is when you hit the tree with the front wheel.
Oversteer is when you hit it with the back.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the tree...
Torque is how far you drag it...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
you guys are right it's stupid to drive that hard on a public road.
it wasn't planned, it just happened and it won't happen again.
i live in the netherlands btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread