Driving in snow w/out vdc? - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I definitely leave my VDC on in the snow - only exception is getting up my inclined driveway into the garage which can be impossible unless you let the tires spin a bit without that power cut-off. Of course I only drive in snow on very rare occasions - less than an inch. No snow tires mean DANGER

Hotchkis Z1 Motorsports JWT Hawk SSR Crawford
ZeeToyz Valentine Sumitomo Royal Purple Zaino

I like my 350 but I love my 300ZX TT more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Base Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Z3304S
I drive with the VDC off, but I only have it on when I am going straight for a long time because the VDC will correct you if you fishtail. When turning, VDC is best left off because it will hinder your driving techniques. I live in Indiana, so we do get allot of snow here once in a while. I'm going to sound stupid when I say this, but when I snows hard, I actually purposely drive in the snow because the back of my neighborhood is fun to drift in and also I want to drive for fun (there are no houses or cars back there in my neighborhood).

"Anger is one letter short of danger."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:27 PM

I drive with it on, but it never kick in(may be i drive slow in snow?!!?) I am living in pullman,wa

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Base Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3304S View Post
I drive with the VDC off, but I only have it on when I am going straight for a long time because the VDC will correct you if you fishtail. When turning, VDC is best left off because it will hinder your driving techniques. I live in Indiana, so we do get allot of snow here once in a while. I'm going to sound stupid when I say this, but when I snows hard, I actually purposely drive in the snow because the back of my neighborhood is fun to drift in and also I want to drive for fun (there are no houses or cars back there in my neighborhood).
i live in indiana as well. northern indiana. not looking forward to winter hah. def. investing in some blizzaks!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to buzam
I left mine on when I had the 2003 - visit my wiki and scroll to the bottom to find my winter driving solution! it worked great in NJ for me from 03-07.

Most people will listen to your unreasonable demands, if you'll consider their unacceptable offer.

1993 300ZX NA 2+2 Glacier White 5MT (SCCA registered track car)
2003 Touring PPW 6MT Jezzy II (time to mod)
2003 Touring PPW 6MT Jezzy (RIP)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Base Member

It's strange that a lot of people are saying that they drive it in snow with VDC off?

It snows a lot in here in Calgary and I have Blizzaks for winter tires. But my VDC is ALWAYS on, winter or summer. I thought it helps especially in snow when the car is skidding/slipping?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1NONLY View Post
QUOTE (bjjbadboy @ Jan 20 2010, 08:24 PM)

It does a lot more than cut power and I'm shocked people are recommending to drive in the snow with it off. But I live in florida and my base doesn't have VDC.

I have driven a lot of Z's with VDC on our track and the few times I forgot to switch it off before a run, the cars were dog slow.

However, it was also difficult to get any slip angle, something I think would be good in low traction situations.
VDC optimizes traction...I leave my VDC on 99% of the time...it's a great fail safe. My exception is when I am driving under 20mph in slick conditions. I will take it off and get in the tallest gear I can to prevent wheel spin...but I try not to drive in snow/rain if I can help it...

'03 Z33
'71 S30
'04 Triton 5.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement