Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums

Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums (https://www.350z-tech.com/forums/)
-   Driving Techniques (https://www.350z-tech.com/forums/146-driving-techniques/)
-   -   Any drifters here? (https://www.350z-tech.com/forums/146-driving-techniques/58640-any-drifters-here.html)

az350z 09-12-2007 02:03 AM

So, anyone drift their Z?

Mitchellete 09-12-2007 02:14 AM

Quote:

Yup, I'm guilty for it.

350zdriftskank 09-12-2007 03:03 AM

Guilty :biggrin:

WaterDragon 09-12-2007 03:14 AM

I drift but not with my Z. I drift a 1984 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Here it is:
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ftinaction.jpg

az350z 09-12-2007 02:29 PM

Awesome. Glad to hear there are some fellow sliders here. That Grand Prix looks like a beast, very cool.

I had an interesting event last weekend...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/DSC02183.jpg

Snapped a lower control arm in the middle of a 50+mph drift.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/DSC02185.jpg

Jin marui 09-12-2007 02:48 PM

Ack...how did that happen? I thought the Z was built for the twisties, and figured that included going sideways. :doh:

az350z 09-12-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Ack...how did that happen? I thought the Z was built for the twisties, and figured that included going sideways. :doh:

Good question...like I said it was sliding perfectly around 50mph or so and I just heard a loud boom. came to a stop and this is what I found:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...s/PICT0020.jpg

Fortunately, I was only about 10 minutes from my shop and was able to go grab another one and fix it right on the track. Only lost about 90 minutes.

jinxxycat 09-12-2007 03:30 PM

GOOD LORD :OMG:

UofAPPW 09-12-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Awesome. Glad to hear there are some fellow sliders here. That Grand Prix looks like a beast, very cool.

that sucks. i'm no mechanic, but i'm pretty sure the wheels aren't supposed to go that way. do you have any action shots of you drifting?

az350z 09-12-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

that sucks. i'm no mechanic, but i'm pretty sure the wheels aren't supposed to go that way. do you have any action shots of you drifting?
Yeah...you are correct.

Got a few shots and some vids. Here is one of my faves:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...ls/Sliding.jpg

UofAPPW 09-12-2007 05:26 PM

awesome, thats a cool pic. just what i was looking for :thumbsup:

az350z 09-12-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

awesome, thats a cool pic. just what i was looking for :thumbsup:

Right on...thanks.

[cerberus] 09-12-2007 07:26 PM

Looks like cast Al to me. cast anything is the suck, no matter what the metal.

az350z 09-12-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Agreed...the question is: does anyone make a better piece? I have looked around and come up with nothing.

illz33 09-12-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/DSC02183.jpg

wow.. can't say I've ever done that.. :shiftdrive:

*Guilty of going sideways more often than I probably should..

TripHog 09-12-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

I've dabbled in it.

illz33 09-12-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Agreed...the question is: does anyone make a better piece? I have looked around and come up with nothing.
I don't know of any other maker. :(

Perhaps it was a simple fluke?? fwiw, in over 2 years of motor sport in the Z (including drifting) I've never encountered any stress on the front suspension like that.

Are you still on the stock suspension?

surfcity 09-12-2007 10:06 PM

no...it's my daily driver...but thanks anyway

Ronin Z 09-12-2007 10:10 PM

Quote:

Actually the stock suspension pieces are indeed forged.

Ronin Z

[cerberus] 09-12-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Actually the stock suspension pieces are indeed forged.

Ronin Z
That break sure looks like a cast part to me, but then again it is just a crummy picture.

az350z 09-12-2007 11:15 PM

Quote:

I don't know of any other maker. :(

Perhaps it was a simple fluke?? fwiw, in over 2 years of motor sport in the Z (including drifting) I've never encountered any stress on the front suspension like that.

Are you still on the stock suspension?
No, the car has the Nismo Spring Shock Combo, Stillen sways and a 6 pt. cage.

mercalli 09-13-2007 05:31 PM

Throw a few more drifting shots our way.

illz33 09-13-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

No, the car has the Nismo Spring Shock Combo, Stillen sways and a 6 pt. cage.

Interesting. I'd just cough it up to a simple fluke.

Best of luck! :cheers:

Ronin Z 09-13-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I'd just cough it up to a simple fluke.

Best of luck! :cheers:
+1

I know for a fact all of the top pro 350Z drift cars run the stock lower suspension arm.

Ronin Z

rowlet 09-13-2007 09:15 PM

Guilty for trying...lol

jetpilot718 09-13-2007 09:58 PM

I drift only when I miss a gate and go off course. At that point, the clock is stopped anyways, might as well please the onlookers!

JohnnyB350Z 09-13-2007 10:59 PM

I've drifted my 77 Firebird and 78 nova countless times,
as you all know, ive only drove my Z for about 8 days then had to come back to Iraq.
I did kick the rear end out and almost did a 360 after I burned out for a friend in the parking lot of a street bike shop he worked at. That's the closest ive gotten for drift action in my Z, lol.
The days are counting down, I have seen a few good Drift video's tho.

Hey AZ, im suprised your front fender didnt get messed up from the breakage, that tire should of ripped it apart. lucky man.

illz33 09-13-2007 11:08 PM

I think there is a big difference in what each of us is calling "drifting" . :wink:

az350z 09-14-2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

I think there is a big difference in what each of us is calling "drifting" . :wink:

Well glad to see some interest in this thread. I was on that other site and the drift forum was dead.

I have a few vids and a ton of pics posted on azDRiFT.com and we are editing a DVD now that has some sick footage. So, hopefully soon I will have that available free to anyone who wants a copy.

I am trying out for HIN next month and NOPI in the spring, so if all goes well I will get to run with the big dogs.

Jin marui 09-14-2007 01:48 AM

Quote:

Ughh...i'm reminded of many videos on youtube of morons doing donuts and calling it 'drift.'

az350z 09-14-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Ughh...i'm reminded of many videos on youtube of morons doing donuts and calling it 'drift.'

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. Have to admit, I started out that way a couple of years ago. Once I went to my first track event I really got my eyes opened up to how little I knew.

illz33 09-14-2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

I am trying out for HIN next month and NOPI in the spring, so if all goes well I will get to run with the big dogs.

Good job, dude. Enjoy the ride. :cheers:

az350z 09-14-2007 02:13 AM

Quote:

Good job, dude. Enjoy the ride. :cheers:

Thanks, I sure will.

surfcity 09-14-2007 02:19 AM

gl. there is only one other type of racing I personally pay less attention to than drifting, and it's NASCAR. but I also understand it is certainly a "personal taste" kind of thing. gl with breaking into the upper echelon of drivers in this form of "racing" I've always seen it as folk who want to prove they can break the back end loose and still hold some semblance of control. But to me it has always suggested I missed the apex and need to over-correct. Just teasing ;)

Nice photos btw.

az350z 09-14-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

gl. there is only one other type of racing I personally pay less attention to than drifting, and it's NASCAR. but I also understand it is certainly a "personal taste" kind of thing. gl with breaking into the upper echelon of drivers in this form of "racing" I've always seen it as folk who want to prove they can break the back end loose and still hold some semblance of control. But to me it has always suggested I missed the apex and need to over-correct. Just teasing ;)

Nice photos btw.

Haha...those who cant drift do HPDE and Auto X. I understand. When you guys can take a long sweeper sideways at 90+mph, smoking the tires and holding a beautiful angle, then you will understand the addiction and become a real driver. :shiftdrive:

surfcity 09-14-2007 02:33 AM

Quote:

Haha...those who cant drift do HPDE and Auto X. I understand. When you guys can take a long sweeper sideways at 90+mph, smoking the tires and holding a beautiful angle, then you will understand the addiction and become a real driver. :shiftdrive:
It's my daily driver as it is with a lot of folk. You don't see folk posting up shots of broken control arms after a screaming autox....you don't see jets jet all sideways because it came in too hot (well you kind of do). you don't see runners crossing the finish line wearing gloves and short shorts...k, strike that. But, imo drifting is cul-de-sac donuts gone wild. but maybe I'm just too old to appreciate it for what it is.

(btw, that broken control arm thing?)

az350z 09-14-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

It's my daily driver as it is with a lot of folk. You don't see folk posting up shots of broken control arms after a screaming autox....you don't see jets jet all sideways because it came in too hot (well you kind of do). you don't see runners crossing the finish line wearing gloves and short shorts...k, strike that. But, imo drifting is cul-de-sac donuts gone wild. but maybe I'm just too old to appreciate it for what it is.

(btw, that broken control arm thing?)

Yeah, I hear ya. Mine is a daily driver too. I am 39, so I should have outgrown this by now , guess I started too late.

surfcity 09-14-2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I hear ya. Mine is a daily driver too. I am 39, so I should have outgrown this by now , guess I started too late.
teasing. looks like fun. but like how when I was young and got hammered I could wake up and go to work on a couple hours sleep and be fine a few hours later, I can't do that anymore...I need half a day to recover. By the same token, when I beat up my daily driver, I need half a week to earn the money to make it right :) especially if I wanted to break the back end loose for no reason.

Jin marui 09-14-2007 03:27 AM

Some people skydive, some swim across lakes. Some people fly planes around in loops, and some just run as long and hard as they can.
I haven't driven a car worth drifting before, but the idea of taking a Z sideways at 50+mph on a track, or even going for a ride down a highway with no traffic...
I can imagine the rush, and feeling of freedom one could get from it.

Damn! I can't wait to get this thing! :banghead:

n1sm0r 09-14-2007 03:36 AM

car looks good! I need to post some action shots once I get more