LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2005 Z33 Starting Problem

I've had my 05 for about 2 years now, I'm sitting at about 94k. Before I deployed I gave one of my friends a jump start and right after that I turned my car off then back on and it took 5 seconds to long to start. I had a SES light. I recently pulled the code and it was a Cam shaft position sensor bank 2 code. So I replaced both sides, still takes a long time to start. I replaced all spark plugs and still starts way to long.

Also noticed my 3rd coilpack on the right side was loose and the bolt was obviously worn so it was loose for a long time. I'm tuned on Uprev without a recent retune since the last tune I've added a intake manifold, throttle body, and bigger intake.

Noticed my positive side battery terminal was broken halfway but not all the way. The fuel pump comes on, alternator is holding power, used both keys and still have the long start problem.

At this point I've done everything except change the terminals and battery which will be done by the end of the night, what's your take on it Nissan world?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:35 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
It sounds as though you're having to build fuel pressure back into the lines to start. What happened after you replaced the battery and terminals? Did you replace the spark plugs with OEM spec? Is there any CEL on currently?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Grand Touring Member

Is anyone listening? What happened to the OP?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
It sounds as though you're having to build fuel pressure back into the lines to start. What happened after you replaced the battery and terminals? Did you replace the spark plugs with OEM spec? Is there any CEL on currently?
My fuel pump is building pressure. I've tried priming the lines and it still cranks long then starts up. I haven't gotten a chance to change the bettery or terminals, but the spark plugs are OEM. I have a CEL and it's still saying Camshaft Position Sensor. Ive replaced both bank 1 and 2 along with the crankshaft sensor. Same problem no change.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Grand Touring Member

Wow- that's a long time between posts. But your last one at least clarified the issue a bit. I'd guess the CPS is still the problem. Did you use an aftermarket unit or an OEM one?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Both are aftermarket. I'm starting to come to conclusions that I'm going to take her to the stealership just to fix this problem. I've been fumbling around with it for to long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Wow- that's a long time between posts. But your last one at least clarified the issue a bit. I'd guess the CPS is still the problem. Did you use an aftermarket unit or an OEM one?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PiFl_Z33 View Post
Both are aftermarket. I'm starting to come to conclusions that I'm going to take her to the stealership just to fix this problem. I've been fumbling around with it for to long.
Probably the best idea. Although your problem could be substandard parts, I still wonder if the fuel pressure regulator is involved somehow. A factory trained tech should have a good chance of solving it. Be sure to post what the solution was and what the bill ended up being.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Found the solution!

I never took my car to the stealership but while I was hanging out with my tuner he suggested me try and change the CPS one more time for good measure. In the process of changing it we bore scoped the hole where the CPS sits and saw the Camshaft BROKE off where it normal would sit. I've replaced cams with tomei 272 with a 10.5mm lift also replaced springs and retainers. I could've changed the cam back to OEM for free due to the supply of cams at my fingertips, but I decided to go aftermarket. A total loss of about $900-1K no labor costs because I did it myself. Will be posting some videos on my IG; @2pifl_z33 of some cold starts, revs, and a few races to show the difference. No more hard starts!??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Grand Touring Member

Good on ya! But it's amazing to find a camshaft fracture was at fault. Those components are VERY stout and I've never heard of one breaking before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement