LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Random bearing noise from m/t area

I started having a what seems to be a bearing, chirping sound from under my 2003 350Z a year of so ago. It started out to be very random, once in a blue moon. Over the past several months it happens more often. You can be sitting still with the engine running or going through the gears, which can get pretty loud sometimes, but still not all of the time. I've never changed the clutch, release bearing, etc. 95,000 miles right now. I've been told it could be the bearing that the input shaft of the manual transmission fits in the back of the crankshaft. Anybody have any ideas? I hate to take it to the dealership to have it diagnosed. Thanks for any ideas & or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Only when he clutch is engaged or only when the clutch is out and you are running? Our clutch can be noisy, some worse than others, but with your mileage guessing a throwout bearing. Just a guess though as I have 143,000 on my original clutch and no aberrant noise at all.

Hotchkis Z1 Motorsports JWT Hawk SSR Crawford
ZeeToyz Valentine Sumitomo Royal Purple Zaino

I like my 350 but I love my 300ZX TT more.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfZ View Post
Only when he clutch is engaged or only when the clutch is out and you are running? Our clutch can be noisy, some worse than others, but with your mileage guessing a throwout bearing. Just a guess though as I have 143,000 on my original clutch and no aberrant noise at all.
Thanks for your response. I'm an ooooold mechanic that has been out of the auto industry for decades, but I try to do as much work on my own cars as possible, so I've been trying to trouble shoot this for a while. It doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out, it can make this noise. I was beginning to think I had a strut issue, because it started off sounding like you'd hit a bump in the road & you'd hear a squeak from the frontend area, but then I would pull up to a light, stopped, & would hear the noise echoing off of the curve, so that took care of that thought.

Wow, 143,000 on your original clutch? Awesome. I wasn't sure when to expect it to start going bad. There's no slippage, it grabs fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement