Request: Soft Top Replacement / Removal - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Request: Soft Top Replacement / Removal

Hello, first off if I'm not following procedure I'm sorry, I didn't see anything in here for submitting requests at first glance.

Down to Business, I ended up with a small (2.5") tear in my soft top on the passenger side corner of the window. I have seen this is a common tear and precautions can be taken to prevent this.

But any who, I'd like to use the long weekend to unfasten the back of the top pull it up and seal it so I can get a hold over until the spring when I can buy a new top. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I didn't see anything under the how-to's on this.

Thanks in advance,
//John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Performance Member

Very reasonable prices, black or blue tops.
Nissan 350Z Convertible Top

For diy download this link and you'll get all the directions

http://www.filedropper.com/diy-350zr...placementguide

Good Luck!

My Nifty '04.5 SB ZR still feels like HEAVEN...what a cooool ride doing the twisties!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey thanks for the reply. I just noticed it lol

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast Member

Jdelivuk, for a very effective long lasting repair until you get the new top, get some sail repair tape. People who sail around the world trust this stuff to make permanent repairs on sails and spinnakers. It comes in tons of colors to match a top, is self adhesive, thin, supple (put it on both sides), waterproof and strong as hell. My old MG top was completely held together with it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Performance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
Jdelivuk, for a very effective long lasting repair until you get the new top, get some sail repair tape. People who sail around the world trust this stuff to make permanent repairs on sails and spinnakers. It comes in tons of colors to match a top, is self adhesive, thin, supple (put it on both sides), waterproof and strong as hell. My old MG top was completely held together with it.
Excellent advice!

My Nifty '04.5 SB ZR still feels like HEAVEN...what a cooool ride doing the twisties!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Base Member

Thanks Sluggoz and Jennifer, great tips from both of you.

Slightly off topic but my cat has started sleeping on the roof of my Roadster! Will the weight ruin the top in time? I can't be the only person on this forum with this problem. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Base Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Psycelo
Hey I just ordered a Sonneland Canvas Top same material and company that installs on Benz and BMW. The top cost me 973.00 plus shipping, and 700.00 for removal and install from a local installer. It actually ends up being the same price ordering it from where I did and having the guy do the install as it would have been if I had him install the original top rather than the better Sonneland top. I ordered my top from Convertible Tops and Convertible Top Parts the only other thing I ordered from courtesynissan was the elastic 5th bow strap to stop the 5th bar from not going down with the rest of the top and that costed 11.99 plus shipping. Also via the convetible top guys if you buy the kit for an additional 50 bucks which is the one I bought, you get replacement wire straps used to strap the top down on the sides of the car, along with a do it yourself manual which Im not doing but the wire alone is worth it so I'd recommend going that route. Either way good luck buddy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Base Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycelo View Post
Hey I just ordered a Sonneland Canvas Top same material and company that installs on Benz and BMW. The top cost me 973.00 plus shipping, and 700.00 for removal and install from a local installer. It actually ends up being the same price ordering it from where I did and having the guy do the install as it would have been if I had him install the original top rather than the better Sonneland top. I ordered my top from Convertible Tops and Convertible Top Parts the only other thing I ordered from courtesynissan was the elastic 5th bow strap to stop the 5th bar from not going down with the rest of the top and that costed 11.99 plus shipping. Also via the convetible top guys if you buy the kit for an additional 50 bucks which is the one I bought, you get replacement wire straps used to strap the top down on the sides of the car, along with a do it yourself manual which Im not doing but the wire alone is worth it so I'd recommend going that route. Either way good luck buddy.
Hi Psycelo, If you don't mind me asking, what is the significance of the "elastic 5th bow strap"? I have seen reference to the "dreaded" 5th bow before. Is this some kind of mod that make the top last longer, or does it eliminate rattles? My roof is still in good condition but any tips for making it last longer would be much appreciated. Thanks, Chris
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Base Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Psycelo
Hey Chris, if you look at the top when its closed while sitting in the car you will see elastic straps attached to the bar above your head and the one behind it, its about an inch or two wide. Well those straps pull the one that is over your head along with the one behind it because it is not attached to any moving parts. The deal is when the strap loses its integrity the 5th bow doesn't move back as it should and at the point when the top is just about to fall into the cargo space either the top will stop or slam down into the cargo space when opening the top which puts tension on the whole top and either tears it by the straps or by the sides of the rear window, which is what has happened to mine.

If I was you and ur top is still OK but over 4 or 5 yrs old, look up how to do the repair on youtube or take it to a local automotive upholstery shop that does convertibles and either have them replace the straps or strengthen them to save you from any problems.

Also look around on the net there might even be a TSB (technical service bulletin) depending on what year your car was manufactured, and might be covered for replacement.

Hope this helps ya Chris

also my cat has sat on my top for the past 2 yrs with no issues, just the straps and I sometimes wonder if it wasn't the guy at the top shop pulling on my strap that ruined them prematurely, cause whats funny is I have the tear on the right side of my top which is the strap he was pulling, but either way I'm ordering the better top and new straps. Also lookup using Wolfsteins raggtop cleaner and protectant. If u have the original top use the vinyl cleaner and protectant. I'm gonna have to switch to using the fabric cleaner and protectant once I put my new top on, but the stuff makes the vinyl top look like brand new when ur done and lasts about a month or so in the summer here in Florida, top fells soft and supple like new.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Base Member

Hi Psycelo, sorry to hear about your baby and then you too on top of all that! Anyway, at least you ok, right? Could have been so much worse.

Thanks for taking the time to reply in spite of all that. It means a lot. I'm going to take your advice with regards to the straps and the cleaning and post back with the results. I do get a bit of a "clunk" from time to time. We only had the car about 10 days so not sure what sounds normal and what not. My top is a bit faded so i'll try do some before and after pics. Car is an 06.

Are the roof mechanisms quite robust otherwise? First time i tried to open the roof after i got the car i didn't know about the roof catch so tried to open it 3 or 4 times before realising that i was being an idiot. (we only read the first part of the manual)

Looking at the roof storage cover, it sits higher on the left side than the right side - its the same with roof up or down and measured relative to the height of the boot lid. Do you think i stuffed something up by not releasing the catch?

We have 2 cats, 1 medium small and 1 extra large. At the moment only the small job knows about the roof but its only a matter of time before they both up there I'm putting pieces of cardboard and blocks of polystyrene on the roof in an attempt to make the "terrain" less comfortable for the cats. Hope they take the hint find somewhere else soon Cheers, Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement