[How To] clean the window motor - Page 3 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/cata...l:0%29&sv=0

I think I'm going to buy a new motor. Tired of cleaning a part that keeps avoiding work, much like a Frenchman at the national flag factory.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Update: I've decided to buy a 'new' motor from the local autoparts store. I was told it would be $130 w/o the $30 core charge. So as I started taking the motor out of the window and apart, I decided to read this thread again and see what others have posted regarding the tricks.

I saw right away the two spring loaded contacts which were caked with some kind of dry grease or carbon buildup or something. The motor was also dirty from the soot from inside that sleeve. I cleaned everything again, this time taking care to be sure I get those 2 contacts cleaned.

Clean side that worked well when pressed:

Dirty side that needed more attention:

As you can see, there's a difference between those two contacts. One looks to be in good shape while the other seems corroded.

I took a frontal shot to allow for better comparison. Mind you these pics are after I cleaned everything with electrical connection cleaner spray.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
I'm still taking the motor in to the store when I go pick up the new one tomorrow. I'm guessing a re-manufactured one is simply cleaning out these old ones and putting in new contacts and springs.

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
Got the new motor today for $139 OTD. It looked worse than my old one. Anyway, it's definitely a refab with the contacts all nice and shiny. After some fumbling, I ended up figuring out that I had to reset the window motor seeing that it's new. The window now works again!

post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)
As another member mentioned (Jennifer), I think the main problem is the gunk buildup which prevents the spring activated contacts to function properly. If I could take it apart and clean the inside of the housing, I would have. But I didn't want to cut any wires or break it beyond repair.

I did notice on my receipt that the list price was over $200 but I got mine for $139 OTD. I'm sure someone's making good money on these.

post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Base Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you!

I have to give a BIG THANK YOU to you guys for this info. I haven't been on this forum & a while, but when I was thinking that I was going to have to go the the dealer & plop down some bucks I don't have right now, I thought, maybe these guys might have a fix for this issue. Excellent job! Worked the first time. Love the step by step, plus the pictures. Looks better than an manual.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Base Member

ive been having problems with my window motor for a long time... i read this post and decided to take apart the door and clean the stator and contacts. well I cleaned it and it works prefect now.. thanks too this post.. it really saved me $$$$
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Base Member

Hey all...

Thanks for the heads up on this. I pulled my passenger motor apart and cleaned it as well as scraped down some of the residue off the rotor. Works well now.

Wish I had known I didn't have to pull the panel off to reset the driver side. Oh well...made the passenger job that much faster. 2 hours for both. 1:15 for the driver and 45 mins for the passenger. Took me 15 mins to figure out how to get the oh sh*t handle off. About 14 mins longer than it should have. LOL

Thanks for the help!
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Base Member

Did this on my passenger side door, works like a charm! Thanks for the detailed Info
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Base Member

Is there a thread for how to reset that window?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement