Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

The fall of Forged Performance

16K views 68 replies 13 participants last post by  Jay'Z 
#1 ·
I don't think this can be swept under the rug. I am really tired of reading about shops ripping people off, NO ONE can be trusted in this game. If you can't do it yourself, just don't do it...

It's a long read, but probably worth the time. Sad, I was just talking to Sharif about getting a re-tune for my car. Definitely not going to happen now... :headshake:

Forged Performance - My Story - MY350Z.COM Forums

#2 ·
I read the many threads and posts. Sadly, a lot of the threads keep getting deleted for whatever reason. I would like to think people are allowed to post their experiences and let others choose for themselves whether to believe them or not.

#3 ·
Ya, well this one seems extremely well documented. I really like to believe the best in people, and I have always held Sharif in the highest of regards, but I am having a pretty hard time excusing what happened in that thread. MAYBE there is another side to the story, and I would love to hear it, but it's not looking good to me...

#5 ·
#6 ·
There was the same thread on a 370 site. It got locked down with a ton of stuff either deleted or the thread was moved someplace. :headshake:

#7 ·
I remember when Sharif first started out as an enthusiast. When one gets too big in the britches, one has a lot of answering to do.

I tend to agree with you, Willy. Blaming it on someone else sucks when it should have been resolved right away.

That excuse about bent rods or whatever is a bit lame for a brand new G.

I like being NA. :irock:

#8 ·
+1, the car was all but straight from the lot. The other side of the story just looks pretty thin from where I'm sitting...

#12 ·
I hope this guy gets his stuff fixed.
+1. He has a 40k$ car that is now messed up, he hasn't gotten to drive it, and 55k$ in bills...

#11 ·
hahaha ok, well pretty much,

1) guy buys new G37 and pays Forged 12k$ down payment to order a twin turbo kit and a bunch of other parts

2) guy is wants and is charged for a "stage 2" kit

3) There are some financial "overcharges" along the way... Sharif SEEMS to lie to the guy's face, as the guy had acquired the actual parts order from GTM

4) After the guy's repeated concerns, Sharif assures him several times that the stage 2 kit is in fact on there.

5) after 7 months of bullshit, guy finally gets car back from forged. Car exterior is damaged, there are just TONS of relatively minor problems that are very unprofessional, AND car is overboosting.

6) guy drives car home, it's ******. Sends it to GTM, which writes up a 20k$ bill to fix it.

7) Sharif had actually ordered and installed the stage 1 kit, even though he told the guy it was (and charged him for) the stage 2 kit. ...Sharif says this was an accident... maybe, maybe not, not MY call.

8) Lawsuits are being filed, everything is a BIG BIG mess....

#13 ·
There's always some drama over there. I don't read it nor do I get involved. FP has been the center of attention for some time b/c they do a LOT of work on Z's and G's. I'm sure there were mistakes made on BOTH sides. You do enough work on the same thing over and over and there is going to be someone that is not satisfied, that is going to go STRAIGHT to the INtaRweBZ and try to call them out and make a HUGE deal out of it. If they conduct themselves in an adult like fashion most of the time it can be worked out. Just my $.02

#16 ·
If Sharif lied about the Stage 1 or 2 kit and overcharged, shame on him. Also, shame on FP for trying to install a kit that didn't fit and then pass it off onto the customer. Finally, if they've installed thousands of kits then they should be pros and not have this type of issue.

I hope the guy gets A CAR and gets some compensation. Maybe not all, but some compensation is better than nothing.

He'll probably win the lawsuit since all he has to prove is a preponderance of the evidence. I'd ask for a jury trial.

#17 ·
Well, there is this one too:

MY350Z.COM Forums - View Single Post - The Official Shop Rating Thread!!

Same MO. G37 (coupe though), GTM kit, hammering of piping, overall terrible work by Forged. I'm sure that it's tough to get the kit to fit in some tight spaces but hammering the piping is not the answer. Plus, they BLEW HIS MOTOR and made him pay for it! I know that FI motors blow up but they should have the skills to not blow it up on the dyno. They should know what is safe and what isn't on these motors.

I personally think that Sharif was being dishonest when he installed the Stage 1 instead of the Stage 2. It just doesn't make sense any other way. I hope he gets his pants sued off. I am tired of seeing this crap happen. If there was any shop that the Z/G community thought they could trust, it was them. This is unacceptable.

I had an analogous experience with $1500 and a paint/body shop here in SoCal and it was absolutely awful. I can only imagine what this guy is going through. :xZ!o:

#18 ·
If there was any shop that the Z/G community thought they could trust, it was them. This is unacceptable.
That is EXACTLY what it comes down to for me. It's not about who is right or wrong, I'm sure there is a lot of gray area on both sides. It's the breach of trust... I just don't trust anyone to touch my car anymore. Even if I don't know EXACTLY what I'm doing, I care enough to do the research and get it pretty **** close to right. Those guys just didn't care at all.

#20 ·
#21 ·
My car was like one of the very first ones Dave did as "Function Tuned" ... before he even had his shop, it was pretty cool... long drive for me though...

#23 ·
I'm sorry but I personally think it's unfair to be bashing on someone that is not even on this site to defend themselves. Like it was said, there are two sides to every story, and everyone that has been in business for themselves (as I have) knows that there is always room for error, and it's up to the business owners to fix their wrong doings. No one is perfect. I don't know what happened and I don't intend to read that ish but I do think that if there is to be a discussion it needs to be between both parties involved, or lawyers as the case may be. NOT hashed out on a public forum where NEITHER party is involved in the discussion. Lawyers are involved, that should be the end of discussion IMO.

#26 ·
I think it's okay to discuss the issue and reflect on shops and business ethics in general. Like Gus pointed out, he made a perfect example with the general statement about tuner shops.

I equate the discussion to basically standing in the parking lot of FP and talking about it amongst ourselves w/o having the parties involved being part of the discussion. It happens all the time on TV, and apparently the media thinks it's okay. Not that I like the way the media does that, but I'm not going to censor anyone when it's a civil discussion.

#24 ·
ok, close the thread then :cheers:

#25 ·
I think that for anyone to think that this is the first time something like this happened at FP or any of their trusted shops is naive, there is no way for all shops to have 100% satisfaction it is all in how you deal with it when it does happen.

Having been in this business a bit it is a tough business and really do not know why people get into it, parts pricing is whored out all over the internet so parts profit is small, labor gets negotiated like crazy specially when you have shops that come in like an overnight splash and cut rates and force other shops to match but yet the customer want/demands the job to be done at the highest standards and then they are surprised when they get what they paid for.

I can just see this happening when you have a tech that probably is getting a set amount for a TT kit installation and he doesn't want to waste time trying to get the parts to fit properly or worse yet wait for new parts to be shipped from California and delay him getting paid for that job. These kind of things just get worse the bigger you get.

#30 ·
I remember when he ran a marathon wearing gloves and short shorts. I also remember when he sanded the finish on his Z and then emptied the goddanged thing to lessen the weight. So lets not forget how effing crazy Willy is.

Hai!

IB

#34 · (Edited)
I'm sorry..I can't excuse a shop of their calibur for this, i've never been to forged to have work done, luckily i dodged that bullet and went to z1 for my clutch install..while I understand and sympathize w/ the statement made that these shops arent going to have 100% satisfaction among their customers, i just don't think these are things that you overlook lol.. i'm assuming they have an open shop back there w/ technicians working side by side, you mean to tell me nobody heard this new guy putting the hammer to a downpipe?? lol.. even though sharif isnt here, he did make a reply on my 370z..and he wanted to dump blame on GTM..which, if their kits don't mount up properly, why do you even have them as a vendor?? and offer your customers their kits?? lol..you wouldnt supply a product that you have to do all this "custom" fabricating to would you?? if i had a shop as well established as forged i wouldnt.. Im in atlanta, i've seen their cars and the character in some of the people that go there or work for them and there's this attitude about them that spells greed and arrogance, I just heard about all of this, but i kid you not, my 350 is a z1 car..and they had the balls to put their promo cards on my z at a recent event down here, so i'm familiar with how arrogant and disrespectful they could be..the incident i've had with them, and the work that's being done here, are characteristics of a green shop..that is fighting for customer base in a bullying fashion, trying to make a name for themselves. When i needed clutch work, all i heard was forged performance, and after seeing their ridiculous prices for ****, i decided to look elsewhere..i think what they've done in a 5 year span has been remarkable, i'm proud of em..but at some point they lost their way, would have had to, because i can't see people bringing their nissans to a shop like this, it's careless and low..If i spend 25k at one of these **** shops, you better **** well do the work right, the FIRST time. you don't get second chances on work like this, it's pure negligence, and regardless of what any of you say, you wouldnt take your prized G or Z to a place that does these things with your car. I havent been going to z1 long, but i'll tell you this much, i've found them to be very direct, and they've never allowed me to put anything on my z that i didnt need, even if i'm the one asking for it. not even a spark plug...there's the right way to doing things, and then there's this. p.s. the other g37 i read about w/ body damage..(that makes two) they offered to have the work done at some rinky dink shop they do work with. Forged is right by cobb parkway south, Nalley Infiniti is right around the corner, i'd think they'd take their cars to Nalley Collision right there around the corner when they have these incidents..not a good look.

#35 ·
...it just bothers me when people write this off saying... "it happens"... If someone in my family made even 1 'mistake' analogous to this in the medical field, it would be their last, because they wouldn't be practicing medicine another day in their life.

#39 ·
Forged Performance did this install......
...and this is a beautiful machine. They have done hundreds of beautifully executed installs. This is the reason that Forged garnered so much respect in the Z/G world and people literally brought their cars to them from around the country! This is also the reason why they should be expected to deliver this kind of install every time, without fail. Somewhere along the way Forged got "too big for it's britches". We are talking about people trusting them with $40K worth of car and $25k in cash. This is the big leagues, there are no excuses. We aren't talking about Juan down the street putting a turbo on your CRX.

#37 ·
This doesn't "just happen". This was done knowingly. I am truly amazed at how poor the cover up is also. I think about it like this, if I were going to try to rip someone off on something like this, I would **** well make sure that the customer didn't find out until well after my ass was no longer on the line. They didn't even bother to put enough thought into scamming this guy to even be able to cover their tracks! Come on, the guy's car is undriveable! Who does $25K worth of work and then hands you the key to a car that fills with noxious fumes, can't go over manholes, and sounds like busted ass Ford pickup when you go over bumps? This would be like having your kitchen redone and none of the appliances work, the gas is leaking, the cabinets are on the wall crooked, and you got linoleum instead of travertine!

Sure, no shop is 100%, that's obvious. This is on a whole other level from not 100%. On top of that, this isn't the first time. There is at least one other almost IDENTICAL case. That one is arguably worse! Sharif is a prick for trying to get these guys to cover ANY of the costs of HIS ****-ups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.