User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm almost too embarrassed to show this, but I need the help. I need to know what's wrong.

Click here to watch Drag-Strip-Woes

Is it my launch?
Is it my shifting (which I know needs work)?
Is it the problem mentioned in the video?
IS IT EVERYTHING?
DO I JUST SUCK?

Please help. With the mods I have on my car and the list of modded cars I've beaten in short street races from a roll (WRX, 3000GT VR4, S2000, RX8, etc), I find it hard - VERY HARD - to believe that I have a 14 second car on my hands. I could be wrong here.

Here's my time slip:

R/T: .292
60': 2.298
330: 6.309
1/8: 9.569
MPH: 76.38
1000: 12.318
1/4: 14.638
MPH: 96.56

Please help me.

2006 350Z Enthusiast (6MT)
| VORTECH V3 Supercharger, 2.87" Pulley | STILLEN Headers | MOTORDYNE: MREV2, 5/16" Spacer, ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX V2 Exhaust | Much, much more... | 413whp 340wtq |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Grand Touring Member

QUOTE (NAGA @ Sep 21 2008, 10:27 PM)
Quote:
I'm almost too embarrassed to show this, but I need the help. I need to know what's wrong.

Click here to watch Drag-Strip-Woes

Is it my launch?
Is it my shifting (which I know needs work)?
Is it the problem mentioned in the video?
IS IT EVERYTHING?
DO I JUST SUCK?

Please help. With the mods I have on my car and the list of modded cars I've beaten in short street races from a roll (WRX, 3000GT VR4, S2000, RX8, etc), I find it hard - VERY HARD - to believe that I have a 14 second car on my hands. I could be wrong here.

Here's my time slip:

R/T: .292
60': 2.298
330: 6.309
1/8: 9.569
MPH: 76.38
1000: 12.318
1/4: 14.638
MPH: 96.56

Please help me.

Well first things first, your 60' time definitely needs some work. On stock tires you can definitely get to 2.0

What rpm's are you launching at? I've had success and several 2.0 60' launching at 2.5k-2.7k on stock tires.

Work on shifting quick, and practice which shift gives you the most trouble, for me its the 2-3 shift. I seem to miss that one the most.

So yeah, first thing is get that launch down, that will improve your time greatly.

I'm running about the same mods as you, CAI, test pipes, exhaust, plenum. I pulled a [email protected] a couple of weeks ago with a 2.1 60'

I wasnt able to hear the video at work, but at the end you say that the tach jumps to redline before each gear as you let out the clutch. Maybe you need to work on you pedalwork? Maybe release the clutch faster during shifting?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (Brrcats @ Sep 23 2008, 12:49 PM)
Quote:
Well first things first, your 60' time definitely needs some work. On stock tires you can definitely get to 2.0

What rpm's are you launching at? I've had success and several 2.0 60' launching at 2.5k-2.7k on stock tires.

Work on shifting quick, and practice which shift gives you the most trouble, for me its the 2-3 shift. I seem to miss that one the most.

So yeah, first thing is get that launch down, that will improve your time greatly.

I'm running about the same mods as you, CAI, test pipes, exhaust, plenum. I pulled a [email protected] a couple of weeks ago with a 2.1 60'

I wasnt able to hear the video at work, but at the end you say that the tach jumps to redline before each gear as you let out the clutch. Maybe you need to work on you pedalwork? Maybe release the clutch faster during shifting?
Thanks for the response. For a while there, I felt like everyone was just watching the video and too busy laughing to suggest anything.

I think I was launching at about 2500. I have a problem with going higher, as I seem to get a lot of wheel hop (and I haven't found that sweet spot in between). As I'm new to the drag strip, I don't know how much my launch could improve or how much time it would shave off if perfect - I wish there was an easy/cheap way to find out. Any idea?

I think my pedal work needs improvement, but doing the mental gymnastics to figure out exactly what work needs to be done is a bit tough. Do you think the redline bit is a legitimate possibility? If you give the video a listen, it might shed light on the issue.

| VORTECH V3 Supercharger, 2.87" Pulley | STILLEN Headers | MOTORDYNE: MREV2, 5/16" Spacer, ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX V2 Exhaust | Much, much more... | 413whp 340wtq |

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Touring Member

Best thing is a set of New tires that and go out in the country and practice launching your car and see what works best. Is your car and Auto or Manual? did you take the TCS off? There are a lot of things that could factor into your time being high. Was it also hot out I know my car could make it into the 13's but the best time i could pull the last time i went was a 14.0 but it was also 95deg out.

DAN

STANCE-SPC-GTM-HKS-FAST INTENTIONS-K&N-HPS-UPREV
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (One_Quick_Z @ Sep 24 2008, 05:24 AM)
Quote:
Best thing is a set of New tires that and go out in the country and practice launching your car and see what works best. Is your car and Auto or Manual? did you take the TCS off? There are a lot of things that could factor into your time being high. Was it also hot out I know my car could make it into the 13's but the best time i could pull the last time i went was a 14.0 but it was also 95deg out.

DAN
I would love to practice like that, but I worry about the accelerated wear on both the clutch and tires in doing so. Granted, if it it's worth it, that could be just what has to be done.

You can tell from the video I linked that I'm driving a manual (and the little "MT" in my sig). If you haven't checked it out, I would really appreciate it if you could. The TCS was definitely off, but that's a little harder to tell, as the launch wasn't exactly ideal. As far as temperature goes, it was probably between 70 and 80F, so I don't think that was an issue. I live in Tulsa, where the elevation is about 600-700ft, so that effect - I would think - would be minimal as well.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to studybuddy Send a message via MSN to studybuddy
My car's power peaks at 6000rpms so I find shifting at 6250 brings down my times compared to redlining. Also, work on slipping the clutch on your launch because it allows you to be at higher rpms and get off the line quicker. Sorry I'm not much help, I like bouncing off the rev limiter sideways myself.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Touring Member

Well all i can say is practice then, Just try to find the "Sweet spot" so to speak for launching. try to get you 60' time down to 2.0 and you should see some better results.

DAN

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to jetpilot718
First things first, I'll mention that I'm a road racer. My friends are all draggers. I got pulled kicking and screaming to the drag strip to run the Z and I only ran twice because there was like 3000 GM's running that night.

On my first drag attempt in the Z, I ran 14 flat at 99mph. Both times. The first time, wheel hop and traction issues. The second time, I FEATHERED the clutch out at around 2500rpm or so. This isn't a foxbody mustang, as far as the Z isn't meant to be a drag car. You have to be one hell of a driver to get decent numbers out of a car not set up for it in the rear end, so don't feel bad.

My advice:

To hell with R/T's. Who cares. Get yourself good and ready AFTER the tree drops. GO when you're ready.

FEATHER the clutch out. Since you can't modulate the rear wheel spin in this car (wheel hop cause of the indy rear suspension), all you have by way of modulation is the clutch. Use it.

Make your shifts count. After all, thats all you have in a drag race (which is why I road race - much less boring). Don't try to kill each gear. Shift quickly, but with purpose. Slamming gears doesn't do shit for times anyways, it just makes noise and looks "cool".

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Touring Member

^^ Agreed dont worry about your RT Just get your 60' Time around 2 and you will be seeing much improved times.

DAN

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, guys.

Curiosity... when you say 60 of 2.0 would have me see faster times, how much faster are we talking here?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement