14.638 - What is wrong with me?! - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you get your 60 foot time lower you will see a few tenths shaved off your time. i have a few time slips at the house let me look and see what mine were when i ran my 14.0 and 14.1, I will have them posted by tomorrow.

DAN

STANCE-SPC-GTM-HKS-FAST INTENTIONS-K&N-HPS-UPREV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM

I've cut a quicker 60ft with a 210whp/146trq, no lsd havin, 205/40/16 street tire wearin, worn bushing crackin 95 honda Civic with a K20 swap and suspension setup for road racing. 2480lbs with drive and full tank of gas

a 1.9-2.0 60ft is where you want to be on sticky street tires. Your 1/4 mile will drop dramatically if you do that.

Get something to decrease wheel hop. I'm not sure what's out there so I'm interested as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, pretty sure that I pulled the same 1/4 mile trap speed as you but got a 2.13 60ft and for some reason only pulled out a 14.1 which I think was b/c my tune was junk. people with my swap were hitting mid 13s all day on street tires. It was my first time to the drag strip with a FWD car, 2nd time ever. 1st being with an all stock Mr2 turbo which ran a 9.3 in the 1/8th. Man did that car dig out of the hole!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Touring Member

60ft times need work. I have only been to two drag strips. (1/4 and a 1/8 mile.)

I don't remember the RPM's I was launching at but, in my 05 with stock HP and on street tires, my best 60ft (2.053) came with almost no wheel spin. ( I thought I had bogged the launch)

Also, in the vid, your 3-4 shift was ok but 1-2 and 2-3 sounded a little slow.

If you are worried about wear and tear on your clutch, I would practice launching the car on low-traction surfaces and practice feeling the throttle-clutch-road relationship. Once you get comfortable under low traction conditions it should only take a launch or two with higher traction to adapt.

The ability to modulate throttle while you are launching is what you are looking for, and it requires "feel".

Of course, it is all easier to type than do. The biggest chunk of your time will come from the first 2 seconds of your run. Two seconds to make a gazillion miniscule throttle and clutch input adjustments. Of course riding a bicycle requires a gazillion little weight shifts to maintain balance but, once we learn how to ride, we never notice.

Just practice, and it will eventually be like ridding a bike.

Good luck.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the tips. I definitely appreciate them.

I realize my launch was sub-par. I've had times on regular streets, fooling around, where I've had far, far better launches than that. It's such a frustrating effect to suddenly change surfaces, traction levels, etc and try to get a launch perfect. Experience, I suppose, is the determining factor, like you suggest.

I've been working a bit on my shifting, lately, and think I've made some improvements. But thinking about it, it makes more sense - assuming that the engine cut-off at red line theory doesn't apply - that the launch would be the biggest source of time lost in this case.

Question:
If I were to drop my 60' time down to 2.000, how much time do you think that would shave off my final 1/4 mi time?

2006 350Z Enthusiast (6MT)
| VORTECH V3 Supercharger, 2.87" Pulley | STILLEN Headers | MOTORDYNE: MREV2, 5/16" Spacer, ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX V2 Exhaust | Much, much more... | 413whp 340wtq |
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Touring Member

QUOTE (NAGA @ Oct 1 2008, 09:04 AM)
Quote:
Question:
If I were to drop my 60' time down to 2.000, how much time do you think that would shave off my final 1/4 mi time?

At least 3 tenths. And there is also some time out there between shifts for you, but I can't tell how much.

Here are the slips from my only 1/4 mile track visit. They should give you an idea.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
Well since this drag strip debacle, I've installed an MREV2 and 5/16" Isothermal Spacer. Tomorrow, I should be getting my Uprev Osiris, and 1-2 weeks after that, I'll have my first eTune back from them and installed.

Definitely have improved both max HP and TQ, but more importantly in the midrange. I'm eager to see what happens with a proper tune.

I plan to hit the drag strip again within the next 2 weeks, and I'll post the results either here or in a new thread. Wish me luck!

| VORTECH V3 Supercharger, 2.87" Pulley | STILLEN Headers | MOTORDYNE: MREV2, 5/16" Spacer, ART Pipes, Shockwave TDX V2 Exhaust | Much, much more... | 413whp 340wtq |
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 PM

You may just need to work on your launch. You have to understand that we have rear wheel drive cars with lots of power. I tracked my 08Z with just 3,000 miles on it and was able to run a 13.847 at 104mph. Pratice your launch by not reving so high. You should be able to pull any car in our class by 3rd gear. I added a dual intake Pop-Charger and can't wait to get back to the track!
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Base Member

(Thread Starter)
QUOTE (Mr.350 @ Mar 1 2009, 08:15 PM)
Quote:
You may just need to work on your launch. You have to understand that we have rear wheel drive cars with lots of power. I tracked my 08Z with just 3,000 miles on it and was able to run a 13.847 at 104mph. Pratice your launch by not reving so high. You should be able to pull any car in our class by 3rd gear. I added a dual intake Pop-Charger and can't wait to get back to the track!
Well, I definitely need to work on my launch on the track. It's completely different than a regular road, traction-wise. I have, however, fixed my timing on my 1-2 shift. My brother timed it, and I was looking at about 0.5+ seconds, which is no good. Fixing that should help a lot, too.

Another thing to consider with your time is that you have the HR Z. Those are significantly faster than pre-HR Z's. However, my Z should be able to put down low 13's after I get my car tuned next week. Dyno-wise, it already puts down about the same WHP numbers as an HR Z (like yours), but has way more WTQ.

We shall see. I'm excited.

I'd also love to know how much of a difference the dual Popchargers make for you. I'll bet they sound awesome.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:05 PM

QUOTE (NAGA @ Mar 9 2009, 02:47 PM)
Quote:
Well, I definitely need to work on my launch on the track. It's completely different than a regular road, traction-wise. I have, however, fixed my timing on my 1-2 shift. My brother timed it, and I was looking at about 0.5+ seconds, which is no good. Fixing that should help a lot, too. Another thing to consider with your time is that you have the HR Z. Those are significantly faster than pre-HR Z's. However, my Z should be able to put down low 13's after I get my car tuned next week. Dyno-wise, it already puts down about the same WHP numbers as an HR Z (like yours), but has way more WTQ. We shall see. I'm excited. I'd also love to know how much of a difference the dual Popchargers make for you. I'll bet they sound awesome.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:10 PM

Man they sound great! They sound off over 3200rpm. I can feel the torque more than expected. I want to dyno the car soon to see what its output is. I just can't wait till I can run a low 13 or even 12 high. I know it will take a lot of work and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement