LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Colorado TDi Storage

This weekend my drive down to Pueblo, Colorado took me past the Pikes Peak International Raceway (PPIR). Located just west of I-25 in the town of Fountain, the high-banked oval (with a 1.5-mile road course) is easy to spot. This year there's an even more distinctive sight to see just north of PPIR: row upon row of VW TDi vehicles parked in sandy lots.

Of course, these hundreds (thousands?) of diesel vehicles are part of VW's dieselgate buy-back program. VW is storing cars from several states in this outdoor staging area. With quick access to an interstate, you wonder what their ultimate fate will be? Many look brand new, but are likely destined for the scrap yard. Depending on VW's agreement with the EPA, a fix may be in the works for some of them.

Still, after looking at this huge parking lot filled with gleaming sheetmetal, it's hard to imagine what kind of resale value will be left on a repaired TDi. After all, will the approved emission repairs adversely affect performance, fuel economy, or both? What about the negative reputation or even stigma of owning such an infamous model be? What would the general public (you and me) be willing to pay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Hard to get any kind of response from this forum...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Apparently, VW is still mulling the costs of repairing and reselling these cars on the USDM marketplace versus just exporting them outside the country to places that don't have strict emissions laws (or policing). I wonder what the timeline on such a decision will be? Months or years, likely.

Could these acres of shining sheetmetal in Colorado be a shining footnote to VW's global ambitions? The billions wasted is a stark comment about the mentality of cheating...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement