350Z Challenge at Willow Springs Raceway June 4 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I am gauging interest in a 350Z Challenge Series, running the various racetracks in California. I have a tentative date of Friday, June 4, 2004 for the big road course at Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, CA (this is NOT Streets of Willow). It is known as "the fastest road in the west."

There will be professional instructors and timing equipment available, and included in the price. The cost will be less than $150 for the entire day (more details later). Beginners are welcome, as are more experienced drivers.

If you are seriously interested, please PM me here. I need to get 20 drivers to make this work.

If you have never driven your car on a racetrack before, trust me, it is the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on. LMAO

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

2000 Formula Mazda -- race car
1992 NSX -- for street and track
2006 Mitsubishi EVO IX MR -- bone stock daily driver
2002 Jaguar Vanden Plas -- luxo-cruiser

R.I.P. 2003 Nissan 350Z Track -- Silverstone with a shitload of N/A mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 01:11 AM

I'm interested. 5.5hr drive would be rough but the price is good.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 01:22 AM
ZME

Regarding Willow Springs June "Zee for All"-

Any clue how many members might originate from Pacific Northwest?

Approximate drive time from Medford, Oregon? Zip is 97504?

Will vehicles be required to have full or partial Cage?

Very interesting outing!

A film crew is a must!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
The only equipment you need is a DOT/Snell 90 helmet. I bought an open-face helmet at a motorcycle shop for $70 that works fine.

Don't know how many 350Zs will be there, that is what I am working on now. I am going to Lysa's 350Z BBQ in Torrance CA today, and promoting the Willow Springs Raceway event there. At Lysa's last meet we had 20 cars.

Since the 350Z Challenge is in its infancy, we would be sharing the track with a few other Challenge car clubs. I expect Corvettes, Boxsters, S2000s, and maybe Miatas and RX-7s. We can set-up our 350Zs in one section of the paddock for photography. They take professional pictures while you are driving the track (optional, and not included in the price of the track day).

More details later.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 10:59 AM

How much track time is expected with all those other car clubs?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Generally these events have 3 run groups, beginner, intermediate and advanced. Each group should get 4 runs of 1/2 hour each, so expect about 2 hours of driving time on the track.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 01:15 PM

Richard, I like your idea, however, you really can't call it a 350Z challenge if it's just a DE event. A true "challenge" would be competition... I suspect that there will be a true "350Z Challenge"-like series developing in the coming future, but it just needs more time. Just remember that you're going to have to run through the ranks of getting an insurance carrier, and a Snell 90 helmet is simply too old.

As for an exclusive Z only event, I was speaking to Lawrence Mansier (registar for NASA ON/IN) this past weekend, and he's interesting in hosting a 350Z Expo of some sort. Not your typical ZCCA car show, but a track event, coupled with an AutoX, car show, and a drift competition. We had 12 350Zs at Mid-Ohio this past weekend, and I heard numerous complaints from many of them that their local Z clubs are only car shows.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm promoting the event, so I can call it anything I want. I have been up front about what to expect. You can't do everything at once. If we can get 20 350Zs out to Big Willow to drive, with Corvettes, S2000s and Boxters, we have succeeded in taking the first step towards a true 350Z-only series.

I don't know what DE stands for, so I can't respond to that.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
I hope you have a positive response for this event Richard!!! It should be fun no matter what...out there w/ all those other people who love their carz! Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard 350z@Apr 5 2004, 02:05 PM
[b]I'm promoting the event, so I can call it anything I want.* I have been up front about what to expect.* You can't do everything at once.* If we can get 20 350Zs out to Big Willow to drive, with Corvettes, S2000s and Boxters, we have succeeded in taking the first step towards a true 350Z-only series.

I don't know what DE stands for, so I can't respond to that.
Richard, DE = drivers education,which is what most events out there are. HPDE =high-performance drivers education. If you didn't know what I meant, then you won't be able to taylor to a true track crowd... sorry... need more info, PM me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement