350Z Challenge at Willow Springs Raceway June 4 - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
When I get my 350Z up to 130 mph on the front straight at Big Willow before braking for Turn 1, that is, at a minimum, high performance driver education. Sorry if I don't have all my terminology up to your standards. I don't see why we need to carry this conversation on in PMs. Just respond here, professor.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

2000 Formula Mazda -- race car
1992 NSX -- for street and track
2006 Mitsubishi EVO IX MR -- bone stock daily driver
2002 Jaguar Vanden Plas -- luxo-cruiser

R.I.P. 2003 Nissan 350Z Track -- Silverstone with a shitload of N/A mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 10:28 PM

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just telling you how it is since I track my car very often with various organizations. You're going to have to have some sort of insurance carrier, and they're going to have a lot of difficulty getting insurance unless you term it as a DE. For the record, I've seen cars pass 175mph in DEs, had mine over 135, and rode in a 996 Turbo that passed 160 on each lap. It's still a DE...
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
John -

We are conducting the track event through an organization called SpeedVentures.com. They take care of insurance. The participants should be aware that such insurance protects SpeedVentures and the racetrack, but not the individual participants.

I, too, track my car frequently. Have you ever driven Big Willow? It is a hoot in a high horsepower car. None of those little VWs harrassing you in the turns. They can't keep up, period.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 PM

Gotcha, didn't realize it was being coordinated through SpeedVentures. Are you planning on just doing three run groups? Time Trial perhaps? That could be the competition aspect of the event.

I've never been to the track you mentioned itself. I've visited Laguna Seca and Sears Point (Infineon, whatever, it's still Sears Point to me), but have never had the opportunity to drive either course. Only tracks I've driven are VIR, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, and Summit Point. Hoping to add a few more tracks this year, BeaveRun, Road Atlanta, and Barber Motorsports Park. I really need to buy a tow vehicle first...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
Let me know when you are going to BeaveRun--I am in Pittsburgh. My husband just recently did a small job for the owner of BeaveRun (his wife is friends with my mom in law). He traded out the work he did for a few FREE runs for me on the track there, in my Z or in one of their cars, it's up to me!!!.....It'd be fun to come out and support you even if I didn't get on the track that day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
jinxxycat -

My geographic area for racetrack events is limited to where I can reasonably drive -- California, Nevada and Arizona. I doubt if I will ever get to a racetrack in Pittsburgh. But don't let that stop you. Go out there and have fun. I highly recommend a driving instructor the first time you drive any new track.

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Apr 7 2004, 01:23 PM
[b]Let me know when you are going to BeaveRun--I am in Pittsburgh.* My husband just recently did a small job for the owner of BeaveRun (his wife is friends with my mom in law).* He traded out the work he did for a few FREE runs for me * on the track there, in my Z or in one of their cars, it's up to me!!!.....It'd be fun to come out and support you even if I didn't get on the track that day!*
I&#39;ll let you know when I&#39;ll be there. I just drove through Pittsburgh last Thursday on the way to Mid-Ohio. Then hit snow... <_<

BeaveRun was the location that most people have suggested for a 350Z Expo, since it has the north course (pretty easy to learn), an AutoX area, and a large paddock that can be used for a car show. Regardless, I&#39;ll probably be up there for the first weekend of June with NASA running.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
Richard--I do plan on having an instructor, they offer many courses there from regular street driving to a 3 day mini racing camp. Don&#39;t want my baby Lucy to sustain damage due to something stupid that might happen my FIRST time ever on a track! THX for the advice!

John--If I am in town that weekend we will make it for sure. Just not sure when we are supposed to go to myrtle beach w/ the inlaws!

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, we are all set to move forward with the 350Z Challenge track event on the big road course at Willow Springs Raceway on June 4. The price for the whole day is $120, and it includes timing equipment, which you normally would have to pay at least an extra $20 for. Timing your laps to see how much you improve over the course of the day is very informative, and most drivers really like it. Don&#39;t forget the track also charges a $10 gate fee for each person entering.

Instruction is available with two options: three drivers sharing one instructor for $10 for each driver, or a one-on-one instructor for $30. I highly recommend that beginners do one or the other.

Please get yourself a DOT/Snell 90 or better helmet. I got an open-face model at a motorcycle shop for $70 that works just fine. I still need to see if helmet rentals are available at the track, I&#39;m not sure.

Please go sign up and pay your money now. Go to www.speedventures.net to sign up for the event at Big Willow on June 4. If you cancel, there is a $30 fee to get the remainder of your money back. Don&#39;t worry about whatever it says on the website about what you get for your $120, the timing equipment is included for the 350Z group.

Now that all those financial details are out of the way, let&#39;s go out and blow the doors off those S2000s! LOL

Richard

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 12:08 AM

Hi Richard,
On the SpeedVentures schedule, it says: "Note you will not have time to tech your car at 7:00, and you MUST be at registration by 7:15, car tech&#39;d and ready for the driver&#39;s meeting. "
When do you get your car tech&#39;d? Or do you just fill in the tech form and that&#39;s it? I ask since the last event we filled in a form and needed to have someone check out the car.

Also, do we add the timing equipment in the registration form and they won&#39;t charge or don&#39;t add and we will get the box automatically?

Looking forward to this event, not my long drive though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement