LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New NGK plug for VQ35DE

This may be a first for this site and forum: a post that's not about "help me fix my broke car". NGK recently released a new line of spark plugs that will fit the Z33 and Z34. They utilize a new element called 'ruthenium' in the electrode that is claimed to deliver better ignition and durability for a variety of reasons:

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/ruthenium-hx

The ruthenium plug for the VQ35DE is labeled the LFR5AHX and if you shop around, you can find them for about $2 more than the standard Iridium NGK plug. The ruthenium plug for the VQ35HR and VQ37VHR is the LKAR7AHX-S and might be worth a try when it comes time to replace them at the 100K interval. Many Z owners swear by NGK plugs as a good replacement part with tuneups and now we have another viable option to consider. Wondering if any other Z owners have gone to this new spark plug and if they have any comments on their performance?
Joetor and calico_z33 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Interesting- the first NEW product for the Z33 in ages and no comments? Sure, it's just a spark plug, but NGK is known as a reputable manufacturer for both OEM and aftermarket makes. Over a hundred views since I posted this last week, and it's an even bet there's SOMEBODY out there who's got drivability problems from swapping to the wrong type or brand of plugs during a tuneup.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Interesting- the first NEW product for the Z33 in ages and no comments? Sure, it's just a spark plug, but NGK is known as a reputable manufacturer for both OEM and aftermarket makes. Over a hundred views since I posted this last week, and it's an even bet there's SOMEBODY out there who's got drivability problems from swapping to the wrong type or brand of plugs during a tuneup.

But that would be far too obvious, David.

See the postscript I just posted on another thread here. Kinda evil but a true observation. Even worse than on that "other" forum. Hahahahahahaha.

Mic's: Z33, SRL-311, SL55, Highlander-H / Gone: Z33 & Z34 Nismos, Z33-Rdstr, Z32, Z31 Shiro (R.I.P.), Q45, 6-S30s, SCCA D-Prod SRL311 and a bunch of other non-Nissans.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Always love your smarmy posts, Mic!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Base Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Always love your smarmy posts, Mic!

That's what I'm paid for.

But am I wrong? I think not... https://www.350z-tech.com/forums/173...ml#post1254025

Mic's: Z33, SRL-311, SL55, Highlander-H / Gone: Z33 & Z34 Nismos, Z33-Rdstr, Z32, Z31 Shiro (R.I.P.), Q45, 6-S30s, SCCA D-Prod SRL311 and a bunch of other non-Nissans.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Nah, you're not wrong- you always provide complete and factual answers, both here and that "other" Z33 site. If I need answers for Z33/34 wheels and tires, you're MY source!

But whatever the forum, I like to try to post up some interesting topics. But it's different today, kinda a wasteland at times, eh? As I've said, it's not often when a new, functional part for the Z33 (DE and HR) comes on the market. We used to celebrate such news, but now it's usually met with indifference or skepticism...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
A bit of information that might be of interest to 350Z owners is recently replacing the original OEM NGKs on my Titan. Both the Titan's VK56DE and the VQ35DE use the same ruthenium NGK plug. Using a magnifying lens, I inspected the electrodes of the DILFR5A-11D plugs that were used for 12 years and 88K miles. The gap between the center electrode and the bottom was only slightly degraded, but the base under the base electrode had quite a bit of carbon buildup. Looking critically at the ceramic body of the plugs themselves, I found cracks in some of the bottoms as well. While NGK's platinum and iridium spark plugs were the latest technology available when the VQ and VK were first introduced, they weren't bulletproof. Some Titan owners have claimed their OEM NGKs had over 100K and found the used plugs to "look like new". Perhaps light use might reduce the wear a bit, but it's hard to believe they reinstalled the worn plugs and they claim they lasted another 100K! Even the electrodes in the new ruthenium NGKs are designed to last "only" 120K, which is one helluva a long time!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Initial results of the swap to the new ruthenium NGKs indicate a small improvement in my Titan. Towing through winter storm Wesley on the way east, my calculations indicate I went from an average of 6.5 MPG (Titan towing a fully loaded 24' racecar trailer) before the swap to an average of 7.1 MPG after the swap. Not much, but with those kind of figures, it still comes out to a 11% increase in efficiency.

Of course, this is with a Titan VK56DE and not a VQ engine in the Z; but it starts so easily, idles well and just generally runs right. We'll see how well it performs on the 850-mile trip back west and the rest of the upcoming race season.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:42 PM
Base Member

Do you think they offer lower temperature plugs for forced induction?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Grand Touring Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Carlson View Post
Do you think they offer lower temperature plugs for forced induction?
Not sure about the ruthenium plugs, but NGK does offer a full line of sparkplugs in colder heat ranges. Depending on what your FI setup is, ask your tuner of the NGK tech line for advice on which plug to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement