Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

2006 350Z OIL CONSUMPTION problems

343K views 932 replies 119 participants last post by  millenium 
#1 ·
UPDATE:

Since this thread was originally started, Nissan North America has released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding this issue. TSB NTB07-088 was issued on November 27th, 2007 to specifically address the abnormal oil consumption experienced on some 2005-2006 300HP RevUp engines.

In brief, the TSB lists specific guidelines, and amount of oil consumption required, for a complete engine replacement with a newly revised unit. More specific details are provided in this thread beginning here at post #505. There you will find information regarding the process and procedure for diagnosing, and remedying this issue.

350Z-Tech Moderating Team

Does anyone have an engine oil consumption problem on a 2006 Z besides me?

I have a 2006 Touring 6-speed model. I added full 5 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic oil at around 3500 miles. When I changed my oil again yesterday at 7000 miles, I found that only 1.5 quarts of oil was drained out from the oil pan even with the oil filter removed. The consumption rate is like 1QUART per 1000Miles or more. The oil was very dark and looked like it has been burnt to ****. There were definetly no leaks from the gasket or oil pan as I check
I took the car to the dealer right away and they said they have never heard of this problem before.... and told me to start a oil consumption test next time my oil change is due. Has this oil consumption problem been around for a while? I wonder why no one made a big deal out of this on the 350z-tech forum.
Is there anything else I can do beside just going and sticking to the slow and long process of famous Nissan "oil consumption test"?? Any feedback is greatly appreciated

See less See more
#79 ·
Well, it looks like I've been hit with the oil consumption problem as well... Argh... 2006 6MT with 11,500 easy miles. It is going through 2+ quarts in the last 2,300 miles

I'm calling Stevens Creek Nissan this morning to ask them to start the now infamous Oil Consumption Test.

I must say that I'm very disapointed in Nissan. I realize this is probably a case of bad piston rings provided by an outside supplier, but in this day and age, we should expect better. As much as I enjoy how my 350Z drives, I'm not sure I'd buy another 350Z or other Nissan product at this point.

I'm prepared to seek legal representation if I cannot get satisfaction from Nissan. I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that, though.

Has anyone had difficulty in getting their dealer to address this problem? If so, how did you handle the situation? Advice welcome...

Thanks!

#80 ·
Well, it looks like I've been hit with the oil consumption problem as well... Argh... 2006 6MT with 11,500 easy miles. It is going through 2+ quarts in the last 2,300 miles

I'm calling Stevens Creek Nissan this morning to ask them to start the now infamous Oil Consumption Test.

I must say that I'm very disapointed in Nissan. I realize this is probably a case of bad piston rings provided by an outside supplier, but in this day and age, we should expect better. As much as I enjoy how my 350Z drives, I'm not sure I'd buy another 350Z or other Nissan product at this point.

I'm prepared to seek legal representation if I cannot get satisfaction from Nissan. I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that, though.

Has anyone had difficulty in getting their dealer to address this problem? If so, how did you handle the situation? Advice welcome...

Thanks!
Update: The dealer did an oil change, but opted not to install a flight recorder. I'm to return after 1,000 miles unless I'm down a quart before then.

I asked the service manager about how cooperative Nissan had been on engine replacements in documented cases of excessive oil consuption. His reply was something to the effect of, "It depends on who I get when I call..." As a customer, that is not the answer I want to hear.

The service manager also gave me the "high vacuum" spiel, but backpedaled when I very politely indicated that I thought that explanation was pure and unadultered horseshit. :poop:

He then said Nissan was recommending a higher viscosity oil as a "fix". My reply was very similar to my first reponse. :bs:

The next version was something about a bad production run of piston rings. Finally an answer that seemed plausible.

Jeez, these guys... :lame: I was glad I wore brown shoes this morning!

I'm going to put a bunch of miles on the car this weekend.

Stay tuned...

Quick Update: I noticed when checking the oil after the dealer changed it that the viscosity was MUCH higher than usual. Jeez, what did they do put in 5 quarts of STP?

#81 ·
*Update*

Nissan is putting in a Flight Recorder tomorrow morning. Gotta keep it for 500-700 miles and then I apparently get a motor? We'll see. Either that or the oil has to stop burning.
*Update*

My new mod is the best! Before now, I've never enjoyed having a mod that doubles as a companion and a RAT!

The flight recorder status light is bugging the jeebus out of me @ night. I gotta put some tape over it or something. BTW - I'm officially calling the flight recorder my newest mod. :lol:
*Update #2*

Have about 2500+ Miles now on my car since they changed the oil for the consumption test. Had the flight recorder for about 2000 Miles. They are picking up my car to take it to the dealership today.

We'll see if everything worked out...will update again soon.
*Update #3*
Now the Z is @ the Dealer and they called me stating that after about 2000 to 2500 miles my car only has about 2 1/2 quarts left in it. They are putting an engine in, a brand new one. And Westpak, you're right, it doesn't seem like a final fix since they are taking my old oil, engine, & flight recorder to japan. I know there's a heavy chance I will still consume oil, but I pray it'll work out....or @ least they will find a solution soon.
*Final Update* #4:

I've driven about 2500 miles on my brand new engine that was put in. I have to admit, I am impressed. Before, my old engine would consume 1 1/2 to 2 quarts in 3K Miles, well after the breakin period.

Right now, My engine was down about 1/4 quart. I gotta admit, that's pretty **** good! Hopefully this new relationship between my engine and oil will work out properly and the former won't eat the latter. So Far So Good! (even though I can't explain it. it's the same engine!)

G/L to all with this problem.
*Update #5*

Alright, so it's been 5K miles with the new engine installed and looks like my oil problem is fixed! The engine is only down about 1/3 Quart and her color is nice!

Once again, g/l to those trying for a replacement engine, because it works.

#83 ·
Well I am in the same boat with the oil consumption issue. 06 rev up motor 6mt with 15k miles. The dealer has been taking care of all oil changes and maintenance. I checked the oil today with 2300 miles on the last oil change. And they probably put 5w-30 in it. The oil is on the Low of the dipstick, which from what I guess is 1-2 quarts low. So off it goes to the delership tomorrow to request a PVC system check and the oil consumption test.

Will let you know of the outcome.

#84 ·
Today the car went to the dealer; the oil was 25% above the LOW hash mark on the dipstick. This amounted to 1-1.3 quarts low within 2000 miles from last oil change. Which was topped off today by the dealer with the same 5w-30 as the manual calls for. I have a good relationship with the service writer and service manager. Their dealership has 20 Z owners with the same problem; Nissan is looking for a fix. There is no TSB and will not be until Nissan finds a solution. No oil consumption tests are being done, nor any PVC system checks performed. Higher weight oil (10w-30) also did not cure the issue. I did the right thing by having them notate on my file and they topped off the oil and want me back in 1500 miles for them to check the oil level. This all Nissan is doing at this time until they find a fix. Replacing the engine did not solve the issue as they replaced them with the same engine. They are currently not replacing any engines, they did in the past but found it did not solve the issue. The revup motors will burn about 1 quart per 3000 miles, any more oil consumption and/or in less mileage they want to know and documented, for when they do issue a TSB.

Nissan has found the issue to be during downshifts at high revs, this is causing oil to backup through the PCV system. (Ronin and Stanger88 right on)
I asked about the piston rings possible being faulty and they said if that was the case there would be signs of blow-by on up-shifts, as they have discovered oil blow-by is only happening on downshifts. Nissan wants a permanent fix and will release a TSB once found.

My thoughts are they will rework the PCV system as it appears from talking to a lead service mechanic the problem is with oil getting past the PCV system.

They topped off my oil, let it sit for 20 minutes, rechecked and topped off again. Again Nissan is advising owners at this time to notify your dealer and to keep an eye on the oil consumption at every 500-1000 miles. Documentation, Documentation cannot be stressed enough, and I mean have the dealer documenting the oil consumption so you have a record on file.

Btw: I did not get charged for the 1.3 quarts of oil they put in today.

One last note: Keep in mind this is only one dealer’ stand on the issue. Other dealers may make another call on the issue.

#87 ·
Sorry to hear that about your bros 06, I really hope nissan can come up with a fix for the 06 owners.
Thanks Donnie, I really have a good dealership here they are up front and get Nissan news ASAP. I have confidence in them and Nissan, the dealership has won many time Nissan's National Service Mechanics award, or what ever they call it. Seen many plaques on their wall. A good group of guys there. They assure me Nissan is working very hard to get a permanent fix, not a band aid.

#89 ·
Now that would be nice! Although I am not too keen on the new hood, which would also have to be mounted. But **** it could grow on me.

Getting the **** problem resolved could grow on me! :banghead: Endless trips to the dealer for a top-up was not the "ownership experience" I had in mind when I bought this car. Alternatives are starting to look better all the time...

OK, end of rant. :whine:

#91 ·
Update:

Well, I took the car in after 1000 miles and the dealer says it was only down 0.5 quart. This isn't what I was seeing over the past 6,000 miles. And true to form, they said this is, "within specifications". Argh...

I called Nissan North America 1-800-Nissan1 and talked to them about it. They opened a file and suggested I go to a different dealership and start the Oil Consumption Test again.

After the oil change that began the test, I had noticed that the oil viscosity seemed much higher than the 5w30 I had been using. Of course, I could only base this on my perception of the oil on the dipstick. The dealer did not indicate the viscosity on the workorder -- figures.

This is the first car I've owned in over 30 years of driving that requires I add oil between 3,000 mile oil changes. This includes my old Datsun B210 that had 185,000 miles on it.

Brand loyalty is not built this way, Nissan!

#92 ·
Update:
After the oil change that began the test, I had noticed that the oil viscosity seemed much higher than the 5w30 I had been using. Of course, I could only base this on my perception of the oil on the dipstick. The dealer did not indicate the viscosity on the workorder -- figures.
As I mentioned above reg: using 10w-30..it was incorrect. After my last visit and a talk with the service manager. He said one of the Nissan tech troubleshooters that goes around just visiting dealerships said to use the 10w-30. So guess what? The service manager told the advisor to put 10w-30 in, on the next oil change. I still have about 1500 to go for the next oil change, but I am checking the oil every 500 miles.

Betcha they filled it with 10w-30

#93 ·
Betcha they filled it with 10w-30
Of course, the shop foreman said they use 5w30, but when I inquired as to why I didn't get the same results in my 6,000 miles of monitoring the problem before the official test, he "strongly suggested" that I try 10w40. :liar:

The only thing I can figure is that the dealer must get paid a much lower hourly rate for waranty service than their regular rate. Otherwise, you'd think they would want the work...

I must admit, it kinda cracked me up when Nissan North America told me to go do a different dealership. How's that for a vote of confidence? :rolf2:

#94 ·
Update:
..after 1000 miles and the dealer says it was only down 0.5 quart.... they said this is, "within specifications". Argh...
Same here and mine was 1.0 -1.3 qrts down
They quoted the owners manual and now have it posted outside their shop.

Quote from section 8-10
"It is normal to add some oil bewtween oil maintenence intervals or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operating conditions"

I questioned what (how much) is considered "some", they started back pedaling and said it's within specifications to burn 1 qrt within 1500 miles, which would equate to 2 qrts within an oil change.

I called Nissan North America 1-800-Nissan1 and talked to them about it. They opened a file and suggested I go to a different dealership and start the Oil Consumption Test again.
They also told me to call and open a file, said it would help to have a file in both the dealership and Nissan.

The only thing I can figure is that the dealer must get paid a much lower hourly rate for waranty service than their regular rate. Otherwise, you'd think they would want the work...

I must admit, it kinda cracked me up when Nissan North America told me to go do a different dealership. How's that for a vote of confidence? :rolf2:
They would make more money on a replacement engine, but it sounds like Nissan is not letting them...anymore. Just scratching their heads at this point

Dunno that's odd, maybe the dealer is on Nissan's **** list.

#95 ·
Nissan was trying to give me the run around and told me to be patient with them while they came up with a fix. In the meantime, I was supposed to be okay with my BRAND NEW CAR not running properly and sustaining damage. I told them that they can either give me a new car or a new long block. I went through the BBB and got a new long block withing 2 weeks. Car runs great now with no oil consumption!

#96 ·
Nissan was trying to give me the run around and told me to be patient with them while they came up with a fix. In the meantime, I was supposed to be okay with my BRAND NEW CAR not running properly and sustaining damage. I told them that they can either give me a new car or a new long block. I went through the BBB and got a new long block withing 2 weeks. Car runs great now with no oil consumption!

That is great! It's leading me to believe there was a bad batch of piston rings. I have been told no engine swaps, because the new engine would be the same and the problem would still exist.

I had a oil change 500 miles ago and requested a heavier weight oil be used, they agreed and replaced with 10w-30. No oil consumption at 500 miles will be checking it every 500 miles.

Thanks for the post and please keep us posted on the oil level as the car breaks in and racks up some more mileage.

#97 ·
Well took my '06 in for an oil change and noted to the Service tech that I had to add about 1.5 QT of oil since the last oil change 3K miles ago. Currently milage on my Z is 7K. Have only used dyno oil and changed the oil at 1K, 4K, and now 7K.

The service tech wants to do an oil consumption test and told me to watch the oil level every 500 miles and if it drops more than 1QT to bring it right in. Compared to what other people have seen 1.5QT every 3K is not too bad, however seems a little on the high side to me.

Personally I am not too keen on the idea of a full engine swap, seems many things can go wrong with that, however if it is the only solution guess not much else can be done.

#98 ·
Nissan has found the issue to be during downshifts at high revs, this is causing oil to backup through the PVC system. (Ronin and Stanger88 right on)
I posted in my "homemade catch can" thread on the "evil site" about this back in December. My car only had 2,000 miles on it when I installed my APS plenum. The stock plenum had a puddle of oil in it. This was the main reason why I installed the catch can. I immediately noticed that my catch can was having to be emptied on a disturbingly frequent basis. I now empty it once a week. I'm not worried about fixing the problem until Nissan comes out with a permanent fix. I'll either use Nissan's fix (if I stick with the VQ motor) or I'll be replacing the motor with an LS2.

Here's exactly what I posted on 12/17/06:

"Let me know how it works out. I have to empty mine every week. I think this might be my oil consumption problem. On my Hyundai, I emptied it it about every 6 weeks."

Hopefully they'll figure it out soon.

#99 ·
This is very strange. I've been monitoring my 06 oil level, and it's got 13k and doesn't burn any significant amount of oil. My oil drain holds exactly 5 quarts and the last time I changed my oil (I was using Mobil 1 5w30 changing every 5k) the drain pan filled up right to the brim. I've been driving pretty conservatively since the car is my daily driver and I'm on the freeway 90% of the time. I'll be doing the DIY catch can and monitor how much oil is collected once I really start having fun with the car.
GL guys

#100 ·
UPDATE: Well I installed the catch can and I have to say the oil really adds up! **** 06 motors have too much blowby. Anyhoo, I have to empty mine about every 800 miles (using some rough estimates and rough math). It seems like this oil consumption problem has very little to do with piston rings, but more with the pcv system and blowby

#101 ·
UPDATE: Well I installed the catch can and I have to say the oil really adds up! **** 06 motors have too much blowby. Anyhoo, I have to empty mine about every 800 miles (using some rough estimates and rough math). It seems like this oil consumption problem has very little to do with piston rings, but more with the pcv system and blowby
Definition: Blowby -- what you get when you talk to Nissan about your oil consumption problem...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.