2006 350Z OIL CONSUMPTION problems - Page 3 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Base Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had the motor replaced on our 06 M/T Z at approximately 5500 miles. I've been monitoring the new engine and it appears to be burning oil too although not as bad as the original engine. We even took it back to the dealer once before my wife took a trip out of town. We just wanted them to do an "official" oil check before the car took a trip. Turns out it was 1.3 quarts low already. It's getting low again. We'll be going back to the dealership soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to stanger88 Send a message via Yahoo to stanger88
Quote:
We had the motor replaced on our 06 M/T Z at approximately 5500 miles. I've been monitoring the new engine and it appears to be burning oil too although not as bad as the original engine. We even took it back to the dealer once before my wife took a trip out of town. We just wanted them to do an "official" oil check before the car took a trip. Turns out it was 1.3 quarts low already. It's getting low again. We'll be going back to the dealership soon.

1.3qts low after how many miles?

2001 WS6 black/black 6-speed. 325/350 (according to GM)
post #23 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Base Member

About 1,000 miles when the dealership added 1.3 quarts. We had them document it.

I was hoping maybe that's normal for a new engine being broken in. But since then it seems it's burned a noticeable amount. It'll be going back to the dealership very soon. I'm curious what they'll have to say this time.

Still not as bad as the original engine. My wife had the oil topped off at a Nissan dealership in Little Rock Arkansas while she was on a business trip and it was pretty low by the time she got back to Fort Worth. That was when the dealer agreed to replace the engine. What's strange is that we could never detect any smoke from the exhaust even though it seemed to be consuming oil like crazy.

post #24 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Touring Member

Quote:
About 1,000 miles when the dealership added 1.3 quarts. We had them document it.

I was hoping maybe that's normal for a new engine being broken in. But since then it seems it's burned a noticeable amount. It'll be going back to the dealership very soon. I'm curious what they'll have to say this time.

Still not as bad as the original engine. My wife had the oil topped off at a Nissan dealership in Little Rock Arkansas while she was on a business trip and it was pretty low by the time she got back to Fort Worth. That was when the dealer agreed to replace the engine. What's strange is that we could never detect any smoke from the exhaust even though it seemed to be consuming oil like crazy.
Check your intake/PCV valve. It could have been a PCV issue. Did the car have hesitation/detonation issues too?

post #25 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Base Member

Quote:
Check your intake/PCV valve. It could have been a PCV issue. Did the car have hesitation/detonation issues too?
No noticeable hesitation/detonation.

Is a faulty PCV valve a common issue on Zs?

post #26 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Touring Member

Quote:
No noticeable hesitation/detonation.

Is a faulty PCV valve a common issue on Zs?

A PCV is a PCV. Any car could get one that somehow got stuck open and allowed oil to be sucked into the intake in copious amounts. Us LS1 guys have a crappy entire SETUP, hence why a couple of companies make catch cans specifically for our cars. We use .5-2qts per 3K miles due to our PCV system (LS1 guys, not you Z owners) and due to our low tension oil rings and short skirt pistons. I PERSONALLY have noticed about 1/3-1/2 qt of oil loss in 2,000 miles.

Your 1.3qts per 1000 miles is rediculous. The PCV was a long-shot. Someone needs to fix your problem I agree!

post #27 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Oil consumption can be caused by the following:

1. Faulty rings
2. Faulty PVC system
3. Driving habits

The first 2 are obviously serviceable issues while the last one is partially under your control.

OK, picture yourself driving the Z. You wind up in second gear. You bring the RPMs close to redline and let off the throttle. You don't push in the clutch or put the transmission in neutral. You are just coasting down,in gear, with the throttle closed... still turning relatively high RPMs. At this point, no matter what car you are in, you are burning oil. You have high crankcase pressure and a high vacuum in the cylinders. Oil WILL be drawn past the rings and burned.

So if a car has a marginal ring package, one driver's driving habits can completely exaggerate the issue. While it goes unnoticed by another driver. This is not pointing the finger, just an FYI.

Good Luck,
Ronin Z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you want me to treat your ideas with more respect, get some better ideas." -John Scalzi
Vi veri universum vivus vici

post #28 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM

I have a 2006 Touring 350Z 6 speed, bought new 6/2006. At 2990 miles, the oil was measured to be 3 1/2 quarts low. At 4800 I got a new engine. At 6800 miles they replaced the cam shafts. Oil is still being consumed at 1 quart per 1000 miles. An attorney is filing an arbitration with Nissan, and is taking it to the state attorney general if that doesn't work, filing 2 law suits for repurchase of the defective car. The entire time we've owned the car, it feels like it's not even ours. We've been pressured with "oil consumption tests" to put as many miles on it as quickly as possible. The car has been in the shop 5 times and Nissan admittedly says they have NO CLUE what the problem is or how to fix it. My advise, seek legal representation and let them handle it. This is not a normal problem, nor should we overlook it by just adding oil. I don't know about you, but this was my dream car that I waited for 3 years to purchase. I did my research and only found these oil consumption problem posts after the fact. I expect Nissan to stand behind their product.
Good luck to you poor Z owners in the same position. It's not fun!! (I still LOVE my car and will buy another when the suits are finished.)
post #29 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Base Member

dont bother spending your time checking the PCV .. i had mine checked and its show me no symptom of getting stuck..
my 03 at 72000km burn 2-3 quarts every oil change and i have my oil changed at every 4000km (i am using motul 300v 10w40)

i believe it is just the habit of driving ... when cruise my 4000km below 3000rev, the engine burn less than 1 quart, sounds like the faulty rings to me
post #30 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Touring Member

*Update*

Nissan is putting in a Flight Recorder tomorrow morning. Gotta keep it for 500-700 miles and then I apparently get a motor? We'll see. Either that or the oil has to stop burning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pure Innovations Plenum Spacer - JWT PopCharger

Quote:
Drive like you're on the world's last gallon of fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement