Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

2006 350Z OIL CONSUMPTION problems

343K views 932 replies 119 participants last post by  millenium 
#1 ·
UPDATE:

Since this thread was originally started, Nissan North America has released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding this issue. TSB NTB07-088 was issued on November 27th, 2007 to specifically address the abnormal oil consumption experienced on some 2005-2006 300HP RevUp engines.

In brief, the TSB lists specific guidelines, and amount of oil consumption required, for a complete engine replacement with a newly revised unit. More specific details are provided in this thread beginning here at post #505. There you will find information regarding the process and procedure for diagnosing, and remedying this issue.

350Z-Tech Moderating Team

Does anyone have an engine oil consumption problem on a 2006 Z besides me?

I have a 2006 Touring 6-speed model. I added full 5 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic oil at around 3500 miles. When I changed my oil again yesterday at 7000 miles, I found that only 1.5 quarts of oil was drained out from the oil pan even with the oil filter removed. The consumption rate is like 1QUART per 1000Miles or more. The oil was very dark and looked like it has been burnt to ****. There were definetly no leaks from the gasket or oil pan as I check
I took the car to the dealer right away and they said they have never heard of this problem before.... and told me to start a oil consumption test next time my oil change is due. Has this oil consumption problem been around for a while? I wonder why no one made a big deal out of this on the 350z-tech forum.
Is there anything else I can do beside just going and sticking to the slow and long process of famous Nissan "oil consumption test"?? Any feedback is greatly appreciated

See less See more
#52 ·
*Update #3*

Now the Z is @ the Dealer and they called me stating that after about 2000 to 2500 miles my car only has about 2 1/2 quarts left in it. They are putting an engine in, a brand new one. And Westpak, you're right, it doesn't seem like a final fix since they are taking my old oil, engine, & flight recorder to japan. I know there's a heavy chance I will still consume oil, but I pray it'll work out....or @ least they will find a solution soon.

#53 ·
Hi guys!

My name is Jim and I'm from Sydney Australia. I have a 2006 350z track model and have been burning a shitload of oil. 3.5 litres in the first 2000km's, another 2 litres in the next 1000km and another 2 litres in the following 1000kms.

Nissan Australia has up to now done very little and has pretty much denied there be a major problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no choice so have taken them to court! Have had one hearing 2 days ago where Nissan finally admitted that there is a problem with my car and have offered to replace my engine.

I declined and told judge that replacing engine is not a solution as the engine is a dud and a common problem with this revved up engine in 2006 models. I have asked for a refund on the car and nissan can take my car back.

Judge said that if I can prove that this is a comon problem, he will order Nissan to give me a full refund!

This is where i need your help. Could those of you that have experienced the oil problem please type up a brief outline of your experiences and Nissan response/solution. You are going to have to state your name and address in this letter as judge needs to know that cases are real and not some bullshit I am making up. I know its asking alot but if I win this and Nissan is forced to refund me the money, then it sets a precedence and anybody else in a similar position as me can do the same.

You can email them to me or send them to me on this forum.

Appreciate your help and i will let you guys no how it all goes.

Thanks

Jim

jimaskounis@yahoo.com.au

#54 ·
Burned up half my oil over the period of my 700mile consumption test. The would not put a new engine in and said my timing is too fast (the supposed reason). When I asked if they retarded the timing they said they don't have the proper equiptment to do it. I called bullshit and called corporate who said, in fact, that it's bullshit. Now regional is getting involved. So we'll see what they do...... but for the rest of you, don't let them give you the run around....make them fix it.

#55 ·
This is my first post here! I was online searching for oil consumption in z's and found this site I am fighting this issue with my Girlfriends 06 base black 350 6mt. We have been fighting this since her first oil change it has always been about 2 qts low every 3-5k. We took it to the dealer yesterday and they called in a tech expert or something like that and said that the pcv valve was stuck and that this was not too uncommon. I just changed the oil today and will be documenting every 500 miles how much oil is consumed if any. So in short I would check yall's pcv valve for defects.

Michael

#58 ·
i jus got a 2006.5 is what it says on the door i got it @ 1300 mile what oil am i to use regular or synthintic all i can see as a common factor in the oil consumtion is the synthitic oil can i jus use plain 5w30 ? i checked the oil it has now looks fine, but id like to change it @ 2k, also how hard are you guys drivin your cars not that it matters , car was made jus for that but jus tryin to get an idea, oh are there any post on what would void warrenty i want to get an intake for it to start?

Cheers

#59 ·
I have a 2006.5 model and I noticed that they have a caveat in the owner's manual that states that some oil consumption is normal for this vehicle. Did they previously have that statement in older models or is this a damage control (CYA) tactic?

Sorry I don't have my manual to reference the exact page but I distinctly remember reading that disclaimer.

#60 ·
I have a 2006.5 model and I noticed that they have a caveat in the owner's manual that states that some oil consumption is normal for this vehicle. Did they previously have that statement in older models or is this a damage control (CYA) tactic?

Sorry I don't have my manual to reference the exact page but I distinctly remember reading that disclaimer.
Define what "some" is ? half a quart between oil changes is some, 1 and 2 quarts every 2000 miles is not...

#62 ·
since my 06 has been parked since october, no first hand exp on this problem(parked at 4500k and didnt note any issue).However I have seen quite a few of you complaining of this, is it a widespread problem? Also those of you with serious issues regarding this indicate nissan replacing the engine, but wouldnt the problem persist if swapped with the same model rev up? Or is watever causing this issue noted and corrected? Seems like a pretty serious problem to be having with a brand new 50 000 dollar car...

#63 ·
I just posted an oil consumption question, then notice this. I have a new 2006 Base Model 6spd. It only has 1,000 , miles on it and yes I've followed the break in procedures religiously. At this point the oil has dropped about a quarter inch on the dipstick. That is not too alarming. However, for a new Japanese car, I expected zero oil useage and zero problems. I'll be watching this very carefully.

#64 ·
I drive 06' Touring 6 Speed. I've been having the same problem. The dealer said it's within the limit. First they told me it was because I was using synthetic......Little did they know, I wasn't using synthetic. Does anyone know if there will be something done about this?

#65 ·
*Update*

Nissan is putting in a Flight Recorder tomorrow morning. Gotta keep it for 500-700 miles and then I apparently get a motor? We'll see. Either that or the oil has to stop burning.
*Update*

My new mod is the best! Before now, I've never enjoyed having a mod that doubles as a companion and a RAT!

The flight recorder status light is bugging the jeebus out of me @ night. I gotta put some tape over it or something. BTW - I'm officially calling the flight recorder my newest mod. :lol:
*Update #2*

Have about 2500+ Miles now on my car since they changed the oil for the consumption test. Had the flight recorder for about 2000 Miles. They are picking up my car to take it to the dealership today.

We'll see if everything worked out...will update again soon.
*Update #3*
Now the Z is @ the Dealer and they called me stating that after about 2000 to 2500 miles my car only has about 2 1/2 quarts left in it. They are putting an engine in, a brand new one. And Westpak, you're right, it doesn't seem like a final fix since they are taking my old oil, engine, & flight recorder to japan. I know there's a heavy chance I will still consume oil, but I pray it'll work out....or @ least they will find a solution soon.
*Final Update* #4:

I've driven about 2500 miles on my brand new engine that was put in. I have to admit, I am impressed. Before, my old engine would consume 1 1/2 to 2 quarts in 3K Miles, well after the breakin period.

Right now, My engine was down about 1/4 quart. I gotta admit, that's pretty **** good! Hopefully this new relationship between my engine and oil will work out properly and the former won't eat the latter. So Far So Good! (even though I can't explain it. it's the same engine!)

G/L to all with this problem.

#66 ·
*Final Update* #4:

I've driven about 2500 miles on my brand new engine that was put in. I have to admit, I am impressed. Before, my old engine would consume 1 1/2 to 2 quarts in 3K Miles, well after the breakin period.

Right now, My engine was down about 1/4 quart. I gotta admit, that's pretty **** good! Hopefully this new relationship between my engine and oil will work out properly and the former won't eat the latter. So Far So Good! (even though I can't explain it. it's the same engine!)

G/L to all with this problem.
So you suggest I go to the dealer with this thread as proof that it is a problem? How do I reccomend this so called "flight recorder?" I am at 3000 miles right now and my oil pressure gage is going crazy and I bet there is less than a couple quarts. I shouldn't have to do this on a brand new car.

#67 ·
So you suggest I go to the dealer with this thread as proof that it is a problem? How do I reccomend this so called "flight recorder?" I am at 3000 miles right now and my oil pressure gage is going crazy and I bet there is less than a couple quarts. I shouldn't have to do this on a brand new car.
All you have to do, Moto, is walk into the service dept at your dealership and ask to speak to the service manager. Let him know that your car is consuming oil, let him know how much, and ask the dealership to run an oil consumption test. This is all I did. They will monitor your oil over 3K miles and decide whether or not you need a new engine. The thing you need to realize is that the dealership would be more than happy to do this for you. In fact, Nissan pays the dealer to perform warranty work on your car, which this falls under.

Don't worry about the flight recorder, it just logs your driving data-EVERYTHING. You don't need one to prove your case.

Good Luck and let us know how this works for you.

FYI-Your oil pressure gauge won't help determine your oil level. If you're worried about the oil, just check it. If the level is in the "L" portion below all the crosses, then you're probably about 1.5 quarts low.

#69 ·
Does anyone have an engine oil consumption problem on a 2006 Z besides me?

I have a 2006 Touring 6-speed model. I added full 5 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic oil at around 3500 miles. When I changed my oil again yesterday at 7000 miles, I found that only 1.5 quarts of oil was drained out from the oil pan even with the oil filter removed. The consumption rate is like 1QUART per 1000Miles or more. The oil was very dark and looked like it has been burnt to ****. There were definetly no leaks from the gasket or oil pan as I check
I took the car to the dealer right away and they said they have never heard of this problem before.... and told me to start a oil consumption test next time my oil change is due. Has this oil consumption problem been around for a while? I wonder why no one made a big deal out of this on the 350z-tech forum.
Is there anything else I can do beside just going and sticking to the slow and long process of famous Nissan "oil consumption test"?? Any feedback is greatly appreciated

hey I have the same problem!.....
any feedback on this?

Did they give any inclination as to whether this is a reported large-scale issue or only isolated incidents? I'd be interested in the explanation of the inherent defect.

I would go to mycarststs.com.Register, and file a complante.
Who knows,if enough complane it could start a recall.

#70 ·
I went to the dealer today and they are doing the oil consumption test.....again. This time I took it in right at 3000 miles and had them check it. They immediatley said it was too low and want me back in 500 miles, then 1200 miles, then 3000. He said they have not seen problems with it yet. He also said, this particulat dealership will usually replace the car before they do an engine swap...? Works for me i guess? But all in all, the service manager seemed pretty confident that he would get it taken care of.

#72 ·
I was using about .5 quart per 1000 miles. I checked it today and it seems to be getting worse, not better. I have 2300 miles since the last change and I am down 1.5 quarts. Will probably go in for an oil change this week and make them tell me how much drains out and do a consumption test.

I waited a while to buy this car and I love it, this oil problem is a shame. They seemed to get everything right for '06 EXCEPT for this crap. I have zero creaks and rattles, the transmission and clutch are great, tire feathering issue gone. Now if they could just come up with a fix for this. Unfortunately some people seem to be ok with a new engine, while others still experience consumption even with a new engine. Some of the owners over at MY350Z are saying their dealerships report Nissan is stating a fix will be out in July, but then we heard eariler this year (January) that they were saying February. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

John

#73 ·
I went to the dealer today and they are doing the oil consumption test.....again. This time I took it in right at 3000 miles and had them check it. They immediatley said it was too low and want me back in 500 miles, then 1200 miles, then 3000. He said they have not seen problems with it yet. He also said, this particulat dealership will usually replace the car before they do an engine swap...? Works for me i guess? But all in all, the service manager seemed pretty confident that he would get it taken care of.
I'm glad it's working out for you.

#74 ·
Well I started my consumption test today. I have 8200 miles on the car. It's been 2400 miles since my last oil change. The mechanic that topped it off said it took 2 quarts. Hmmmmmm, about 1 quart per 1200 miles. I go back in a 1000 miles. I am going to drive it hard, within reason,until the 1000 is up, you know, the way the cars are meant to be driven. It is a sports car after all. I hope they come out with a fix soon. Too many with oil consumption issues have stated a new engine didn't solve the problem, while some have benefited.

John

#75 ·
Hi there guys
My name is Jim from Sydney Australia and I have posted on this thread before. I also have an oil consumption problem and have taken Nissan Australia to court re the problem. Have already had 2 hearings and Judge has been quite good and helpful.

I am claiming for a full refund but Nissan have offered to replace my engine.

I have copied quotes from this thread with the similar problems that you guys are having but judge wants more info and this is were I need your help again.

Could you guys please write up a short letter outlining the oil consumption problems that you have had but in your letter you must state you full name, the car you drive,:) date and address. I know Im asking for alot but specific letters from people with the same problem is what the judge wants to see.

If you could email such a letter i would greatly appreciate it.

A big thanks to those members who have already done so.

email. jimaskounis@yahoo.com.au

Thanks
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.