Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

2006 350Z OIL CONSUMPTION problems

343K views 932 replies 119 participants last post by  millenium 
#1 ·
UPDATE:

Since this thread was originally started, Nissan North America has released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding this issue. TSB NTB07-088 was issued on November 27th, 2007 to specifically address the abnormal oil consumption experienced on some 2005-2006 300HP RevUp engines.

In brief, the TSB lists specific guidelines, and amount of oil consumption required, for a complete engine replacement with a newly revised unit. More specific details are provided in this thread beginning here at post #505. There you will find information regarding the process and procedure for diagnosing, and remedying this issue.

350Z-Tech Moderating Team

Does anyone have an engine oil consumption problem on a 2006 Z besides me?

I have a 2006 Touring 6-speed model. I added full 5 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic oil at around 3500 miles. When I changed my oil again yesterday at 7000 miles, I found that only 1.5 quarts of oil was drained out from the oil pan even with the oil filter removed. The consumption rate is like 1QUART per 1000Miles or more. The oil was very dark and looked like it has been burnt to ****. There were definetly no leaks from the gasket or oil pan as I check
I took the car to the dealer right away and they said they have never heard of this problem before.... and told me to start a oil consumption test next time my oil change is due. Has this oil consumption problem been around for a while? I wonder why no one made a big deal out of this on the 350z-tech forum.
Is there anything else I can do beside just going and sticking to the slow and long process of famous Nissan "oil consumption test"?? Any feedback is greatly appreciated

See less See more
#27 ·
Oil consumption can be caused by the following:

1. Faulty rings
2. Faulty PVC system
3. Driving habits

The first 2 are obviously serviceable issues while the last one is partially under your control.

OK, picture yourself driving the Z. You wind up in second gear. You bring the RPMs close to redline and let off the throttle. You don't push in the clutch or put the transmission in neutral. You are just coasting down,in gear, with the throttle closed... still turning relatively high RPMs. At this point, no matter what car you are in, you are burning oil. You have high crankcase pressure and a high vacuum in the cylinders. Oil WILL be drawn past the rings and burned.

So if a car has a marginal ring package, one driver's driving habits can completely exaggerate the issue. While it goes unnoticed by another driver. This is not pointing the finger, just an FYI.

Good Luck,
Ronin Z

#28 ·
I have a 2006 Touring 350Z 6 speed, bought new 6/2006. At 2990 miles, the oil was measured to be 3 1/2 quarts low. At 4800 I got a new engine. At 6800 miles they replaced the cam shafts. Oil is still being consumed at 1 quart per 1000 miles. An attorney is filing an arbitration with Nissan, and is taking it to the state attorney general if that doesn't work, filing 2 law suits for repurchase of the defective car. The entire time we've owned the car, it feels like it's not even ours. We've been pressured with "oil consumption tests" to put as many miles on it as quickly as possible. The car has been in the shop 5 times and Nissan admittedly says they have NO CLUE what the problem is or how to fix it. My advise, seek legal representation and let them handle it. This is not a normal problem, nor should we overlook it by just adding oil. I don't know about you, but this was my dream car that I waited for 3 years to purchase. I did my research and only found these oil consumption problem posts after the fact. I expect Nissan to stand behind their product.
Good luck to you poor Z owners in the same position. It's not fun!! (I still LOVE my car and will buy another when the suits are finished.)

#29 ·
dont bother spending your time checking the PCV .. i had mine checked and its show me no symptom of getting stuck..
my 03 at 72000km burn 2-3 quarts every oil change and i have my oil changed at every 4000km (i am using motul 300v 10w40)

i believe it is just the habit of driving ... when cruise my 4000km below 3000rev, the engine burn less than 1 quart, sounds like the faulty rings to me

#31 ·
*Update*

Nissan is putting in a Flight Recorder tomorrow morning. Gotta keep it for 500-700 miles and then I apparently get a motor? We'll see. Either that or the oil has to stop burning.
Ouch, I just got around to reading this thread... years ago I used to be a service tech at a Honda dealership... when they would bring in a regional service engineer and rig the customer's car up with a datalogger (flight recorder), most of the time the end result was to void the warranty for "customer abuse". I hope that is not the deal in your case.

Good Luck,
Ronin Z

#32 ·
Ouch, I just got around to reading this thread... years ago I used to be a service tech at a Honda dealership... when they would bring in a regional service engineer and rig the customer's car up with a datalogger (flight recorder), most of the time the end result was to void the warranty for "customer abuse". I hope that is not the deal in your case.

Good Luck,
Ronin Z
If thats the case then thats F**king BS. Be carefull I've be taken for a ride on Nissans BS wagon before and it sucks.

#34 ·
*Update*

My new mod is the best! Before now, I've never enjoyed having a mod that doubles as a companion and a RAT!

The flight recorder status light is bugging the jeebus out of me @ night. I gotta put some tape over it or something. BTW - I'm officially calling the flight recorder my newest mod. :lol:

#36 ·
you're exactly right STANGER.

i just got my car back last night. they had a nissan engineer check it out. i didn't get a new engine just yet. apparently the 06 rev-up is known to burn oil up until 15K miles :headshake:

also, letting the revs fall @ high rpms is what's causing the oil to leave the engine.

FYI- i was running Mobil 1 Extended 5w30 for what it's worth and apparently it's very thin.

SO...i'm on an oil consumption test right now. they topped her off w/ Elf Synthetic so yeah.

now it's another waiting game. we'll see in 3K miles if i get a new engine...
I have an 06 manual, at my first oil change I started using Royal Purple 5w30. I have around 9k mile now and my oil level is perfect. Maybe there is something to the type of oil your using. I don't know, best of luck.

#37 ·
No problems at all with mine, 4000 miles and 1 oil change. Maybe going to synthetic too soon before the motor is fully "broke-in" is the problem. I normally wait until 5000-10,000 miles before going to synthetic. Ofcourse if you are having problems and not running synthetic, then who knows.

#38 ·
I have a 2006 Touring 350Z 6 speed, bought new 6/2006. At 2990 miles, the oil was measured to be 3 1/2 quarts low. At 4800 I got a new engine. At 6800 miles they replaced the cam shafts. Oil is still being consumed at 1 quart per 1000 miles. An attorney is filing an arbitration with Nissan, and is taking it to the state attorney general if that doesn't work, filing 2 law suits for repurchase of the defective car. The entire time we've owned the car, it feels like it's not even ours. We've been pressured with "oil consumption tests" to put as many miles on it as quickly as possible. The car has been in the shop 5 times and Nissan admittedly says they have NO CLUE what the problem is or how to fix it. My advise, seek legal representation and let them handle it. This is not a normal problem, nor should we overlook it by just adding oil. I don't know about you, but this was my dream car that I waited for 3 years to purchase. I did my research and only found these oil consumption problem posts after the fact. I expect Nissan to stand behind their product.
Good luck to you poor Z owners in the same position. It's not fun!! (I still LOVE my car and will buy another when the suits are finished.)

Doesn't this fall under a simple 'Lemon' law criteria or is that only specific to California?

#39 ·
I just joined this forum hoping to find other cases of `06 oil consumption so that I can arm myself with documentation as I begin negotiations with my dealer.

I have a 06 6-speed that is using ~1qt/2K miles. The dealer is monitoring it although they don't seem to care much about commenting and/or doing anything about it. It's time for my next oil change (3.5 miles since last) and I have been reluctantly taking it to the dealers shop only because of the consumption problem (I always change my own oil and use synthetic) and the dealer has been installing stock 10/30 petrolium based product vs. synthetic.

I now have ~13.5K miles and have had to add many quarts between changes. This is my 4th Z/ZX, over many years, and I also have a 03 Murano. My last 90ZX had +100K miles, all synthetic, and never required additional nor does my Murano. There is obviously something amiss with this motor. I intend to start hounding the dealer to address the problem.

Having to add oil isn' the end of the world but it shouldn't be necessary let alone how it is effecting the plugs and ?? I don't look forward to an early tuneup because the plugs are fowled and them to say "...that's a maintenance item and you are responsible for the bill..." before the car has 36K miles!

Good luck to you all and I'll post a followup on my results.

Kurt
Largo, Fl.

#40 ·
Oil consumption can be caused by the following:

1. Faulty rings
2. Faulty PVC system
3. Driving habits

The first 2 are obviously serviceable issues while the last one is partially under your control.

OK, picture yourself driving the Z. You wind up in second gear. You bring the RPMs close to redline and let off the throttle. You don't push in the clutch or put the transmission in neutral. You are just coasting down,in gear, with the throttle closed... still turning relatively high RPMs. At this point, no matter what car you are in, you are burning oil. You have high crankcase pressure and a high vacuum in the cylinders. Oil WILL be drawn past the rings and burned.

So if a car has a marginal ring package, one driver's driving habits can completely exaggerate the issue. While it goes unnoticed by another driver. This is not pointing the finger, just an FYI.

Good Luck,
Ronin Z

Ronin,

I am interested in what you said here.
I seldom, if ever, allow the car to reach a high RPM and then just let off the gas and allow it to cost down.
I am one of those drivers that burp and down shift when changing speeds or slowing down for a stop. I do not drop down into a lower gear without the burping of the gas to keep the RPM's up though. I have aways been told that this is bad for the tanny and I can see why.
However, would this type of driving fall into the same catagory as you describe above???

#41 ·
i have a 06 enthusiast 6mt. and it looks like im eating oil too. i currently am using mobil 1 5w-30. i was thinking of changing to royal purple 10w-40. does anyone think oil weight and oil brand will help eliminate the 06 oil consumption? has anyone tried this before?

#43 ·
Maybe going to synthetic too soon before the motor is fully "broke-in" is the problem. I normally wait until 5000-10,000 miles before going to synthetic. Ofcourse if you are having problems and not running synthetic, then who knows.
I was wondering about this also. I always wait until my second oil change to switch to synthetic, and I've never had any problems. With my current Z, an '06 Enthusiast 6MT, I made the switch at 7500 miles, and now I have 22,000 miles with no problems. I was worried for a while, because it seems like almost everyone on my350Z.com with an '06 has the oil consumption problem, but mine seems to be ok.

#44 ·
I went to Roayal Purple at 2800 and just did my third oil change on Wednesday. I have had no issues to this point. I have not had any problems with oil consumption at this time. I do see alot of people talking about it on here though. I will continue to check mine reg.
I know changing at 3K is a waste with the synthetic, but I just can't go beyond the 3K barrier. Old habit die hard.

#47 ·
My 06 350 Touring Roadster (13.7K miles) is now sitting at Nissan awaiting a new short-block due to excessive oil consumption. Mine was burning a quart between 1.5 and 2K miles for a year. Finally, after the dealer documented low oil four times did they decide to take a look. At least something is now being done.

All 06' standard shift owners, watch your oil level...

Kurt
Largo, FL.

#48 ·
*Update #2*

Have about 2500+ Miles now on my car since they changed the oil for the consumption test. Had the flight recorder for about 2000 Miles. They are picking up my car to take it to the dealership today.

We'll see if everything worked out...will update again soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.