2006 350Z OIL CONSUMPTION problems - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:06 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I sent in my vehicle to get a NEW ENGINE! Under Warranty!

she only has 10K miles on her and she's already eating 2 quarts every 3K miles.

The dealership ordered my engine today and took my car. Should be done in less than a week!

Hopefully all will go well and this pestering problem will be solved. I'll keep you updated with what happens
1slikZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Touring Member
 
2006350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Today I sent in my vehicle to get a NEW ENGINE! Under Warranty!

Hopefully all will go well and this pestering problem will be solved. I'll keep you updated with what happens
Did they give any inclination as to whether this is a reported large-scale issue or only isolated incidents? I'd be interested in the explanation of the inherent defect.
2006350z is offline  
post #13 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
apparently it's only isolated. especially with 6-speed manual V6's...ie - 350Z/Altima/G35. has to do w/ the rings and the way M/T are driven.
1slikZ is offline  
 
post #14 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Grand Touring Member
 
surfcity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 7,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Did they give any inclination as to whether this is a reported large-scale issue or only isolated incidents? I'd be interested in the explanation of the inherent defect.
My "educated guess" is his motor was probably either built on Monday when someone was hung over and missed a seal as it passed, or on Friday when someone just cashed their check at lunch and had a few "Sakes" if you know what I mean....nudge, nudge, wink, wink, ....we'll see though.

"I'm Shiva the God of Death.", Michael Clayton.
surfcity is offline  
post #15 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:13 PM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MT equipped cars are known to burn oil when driven under high rpm/low load operation (I.E cruising around in 2nd and 3rd gear all the time b/c your lazy ass wont up-shift). GM has had this issue with LS1 equipped cars, but there are also other reasons for that.
stanger88 is offline  
post #16 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Said it once, I will say it again. Mobil 1 30 weight oils thin down to 20 weight spec within a few K miles and are thin as hell to begin with (barely 30 weight spec to begin). Penzoil PLatinum or the Mobile 1 extended performance 15K mile formula are good alternatives.
stanger88 is offline  
post #17 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 02:10 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
MT equipped cars are known to burn oil when driven under high rpm/low load operation (I.E cruising around in 2nd and 3rd gear all the time b/c your lazy ass wont up-shift). GM has had this issue with LS1 equipped cars, but there are also other reasons for that.
you're exactly right STANGER.

i just got my car back last night. they had a nissan engineer check it out. i didn't get a new engine just yet. apparently the 06 rev-up is known to burn oil up until 15K miles

also, letting the revs fall @ high rpms is what's causing the oil to leave the engine.

FYI- i was running Mobil 1 Extended 5w30 for what it's worth and apparently it's very thin.

SO...i'm on an oil consumption test right now. they topped her off w/ Elf Synthetic so yeah.

now it's another waiting game. we'll see in 3K miles if i get a new engine...
1slikZ is offline  
post #18 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
you're exactly right STANGER.

i just got my car back last night. they had a nissan engineer check it out. i didn't get a new engine just yet. apparently the 06 rev-up is known to burn oil up until 15K miles

also, letting the revs fall @ high rpms is what's causing the oil to leave the engine.

FYI- i was running Mobil 1 Extended 5w30 for what it's worth and apparently it's very thin.

SO...i'm on an oil consumption test right now. they topped her off w/ Elf Synthetic so yeah.

now it's another waiting game. we'll see in 3K miles if i get a new engine...
Check my other posts in oil slurping threads...STAY AWAY FROM MOBIL 1 30 WEIGHT OILS!!!
stanger88 is offline  
post #19 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 02:22 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The dealer will replace with a new motor next week. There is no recall yet. The dealer mentioned, this problem also occured with the Altimas. Btw, I have to put 1/2 qt every 1000 miles.
Sky769 is offline  
post #20 of 933 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 PM
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The dealer will replace with a new motor next week. There is no recall yet. The dealer mentioned, this problem also occured with the Altimas. Btw, I have to put 1/2 qt every 1000 miles.
That really is not so bad and is technically within most manufacturer's spec.
stanger88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome