Acceleration Rattle - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I've been noticing lately that when I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear and climbing through the lower RPM's(seemingly around 2-3k), I'll get this momentary rattle. It kinda sounds like paint can rattle or possibly a chain with some slop in it. I've seen on this board that people have referred to this noise but the thread then gets off the subject. The acceleration itself is smooth and the power seems consistent but this rattle sound is strange as I've never heard it before on any of my other manual transmission cars. BTW, my car only has about 1600 miles on it.

Any of you intimately familiar with this engine or drivetrain think you might know what this is?

Many thanks in advance...

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Performance Member

well if its already going in, just tell them about the rattle noise

Visit our website for your aftermarket car parts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 PM

I wonder if it could be the exhaust rattling possibly. Maybe at 2-3K RPMs you are hitting the resonating frequency of the exhaust.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:03 AM

HAHA,
I've noticed the exact same rattle in the last few weeks. I've got about 3100 miles on my '06. I've heard of this from another z owner and I'm starting to think that it only affects the 06 models. It seems to occur at the lower RPMS as stated and approx 80% of the time when accelerating moderately. Seems to be a rattle in the exhaust somewhere. If anyone has more info please post.

thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
From what I can tell, it seems to be noticable when you're cruising along in the mid-2k's range and then punch it or at least try to accelerate somewhat aggressively. If I'm in the higher RPM's, I don't seem to experience the rattle.

Nonetheless, when I have my car up on the ramps, I'll check to see if there's anything related to the exhaust system that could possibly be the culprit. However, while I could be wrong, it doesn't really sound like it's coming from the exhaust system...more of an internal engine mechanical sound.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 PM

I currently have an issue with my engine manifold contacting the strut bar. only happens under moderate to hard accerlation when the torque is causing the engine to twist slightly. Just a thought. I have the Greddy GREX strut bar, which fits a little more snugly than the "gull winged" shaped stock bar. I'm going to pre stress it to get a fraction of an inch more clearance. I also got the weapon r engine damper to control the movement.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 10:34 PM

It is either a tranny or flywheel/clutch rattle. It's not a serious problem as most 6spd trannies have some rattle.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Base Member

Quote:
I've been noticing lately that when I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear and climbing through the lower RPM's(seemingly around 2-3k), I'll get this momentary rattle. It kinda sounds like paint can rattle or possibly a chain with some slop in it. I've seen on this board that people have referred to this noise but the thread then gets off the subject. The acceleration itself is smooth and the power seems consistent but this rattle sound is strange as I've never heard it before on any of my other manual transmission cars. BTW, my car only has about 1600 miles on it.
My '05 is doing something similar. Usualy I notice it after a short shift to 2nd from 1st, and then going near full throttle from about 2500rpm on up. Rattles from about 2500 to 3000 rpm. (I'm shifting like this because I'm turning left from a light onto a highway on-ramp, and don't want to shift 1-2 halfway through the turn, just get it into 2nd, and let the engine's lovely torque go to work on the bottom of the ramp).

Anyway, my problem is definitely pinging (aka, detonation). I'm suspecting the plugs, but IIRC they're 100K plugs. But the timing is perfect for worn plugs (32K on the car).

Now I need to go figure out which book that's in (the plug change frequency).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Base Member

ive got a similar problem after a lil warm up then driving off , first is fine for pulling away easily.. how ever 2nd jerks a lil .. after driving for a while everythings okay.. i suspect the drive train needs a lil time to warm up unless sumone can say otherwise?

RevUp HKSsc Buddy Club headers Tomei testpipes Hks y-pipe Fujitsubo super Ti BBS RGRs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement