The Tire Feathering Thread - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 11:30 PM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
Get your alignment done to the specs in the new TSB, see TSB forum, do you have an 03?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Enthusiast Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by gdojr@Apr 25 2004, 08:32 AM
[b]Bogart,

If they did not replace the connecting rod (I hope I am referring to it correctly), you should take your Z out on the highway, get in the left hand lane at around 60 to 65 mph and see if it changes to the right hand lane on its own in 6 seconds. Make sure you are on a level road, not one with a crown. If it makes the lane change, you need the connecting rod.

My service manager said it was important because if you do have the "drift right" condition, it must be repaired for the alignment (feathering) issue to be correctly resolved. If not, the feathering will return.
To my knowledge they didn't replace any parts except for the crank position sensor at that time. I had done that test when I first heard about the feathering issue and before the tire roar became apparent and it drove as straight as a line. When the tire roar became really bad I tested it again and it still drove straight. There wasn't a noticeable change in the driving line. That's the main reason I never took it in earlier than when I did. I got tired of the tire roar so I knew there was something wrong. Now after they put new tires on I've taken it out to test the driving line, and there doesn't seem to be any difference than before.

Now my question is should I request to have the connecting rod replaced or have them keep replacing my tires until they figure out the fix.

I don't mind getting new tires every 10,000 miles but I also don't want to get screwed and have them tell me they're not going to replace them anymore. That particular dealership is really bad about not wanting to fix things. I basically had to threaten to call Nissan personally to report my crank sensor problem. They bowed down to me after that and replaced my tires. LOL! Ok I've said enough. NEXT!

Installed:
TopSpeed Headers and Test Pipes
Injen SES ST Exhaust
Nismo Clutch kit and JWT F/W
Racing Hart J8 Pro SB
post #13 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 05:22 PM

i have an 03 jinxxycat.

and have gotton the orgional tsb done twice .

im just waiting on the letter they supposively sent out.

but i bet the house the problem will return after the new tsb

post #14 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bogart@May 18 2004, 01:15 AM
[b]Now my question is should I request to have the connecting rod replaced or have them keep replacing my tires until they figure out the fix.*
If you do not drift right, then you do not need the connecting rod.

I have about 1500 miles on my new fronts. Have not noticed anything yet, but I am sure it will return. TK put new springs (Eibach, I think he said) and tires on his. Last time I asked him, he had not had the problem come back.

TK, any updates?
post #15 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Grand Touring Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jinxxycat Send a message via Yahoo to jinxxycat
Just FYI I did receive my letter regarding the extended service warranty on the feathering issue....got it monday in the mail...

post #16 of 130 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to cedusett Send a message via MSN to cedusett Send a message via Yahoo to cedusett
I haven't heard anything from Nissan yet, but I had my tires replaced about 4K miles ago. Guess It's time to check up on them. Gotta get some service done anyway.

Eibach Pro Kit
JWT Pop-Charger
Z-Xtreme Grounding Kit

Fairlady Z emblem
JDM Shorty Antenna
Silver Z Emblems
Tinted side-view mirrors (blue 35%)

post #17 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 11:47 PM

Did feathering continue after installing bigger rims and tires? I think i'm gonna have to go for my second set of front tires.. it's bumpy and looks like it's wearing from the outside more. I still have the stock rims/tires, If i get 19" or 20" it's going to be expensive replacing tires my self.
post #18 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:40 PM

feathering stopped when i installed my nismo wheels...

i have also seen it stop in SOME CASES with springs being installed
post #19 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 07:29 PM

I believe the problem is with 'toe-in' & not camber....

You shld take your car in for alignment...if out of wty., do it AFTER the new wheels.

FW alignment is touchy on these cars, & I'm told the good machine to use is a newer Hunter. The local (@sshole) dealer here sent my car out to a shop with the proper equip., warranteed the alignment, we're still fighting over tires...
post #20 of 130 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Make them find a shop with the Hunter equipment. Also make sure they check the connecting rod TSB (pulls to the right).

http://www.350z-tech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=784

If you have the pull right condition, the tire feathering fix will not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement