The Tire Feathering Thread - Page 13 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #121 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
QUOTE (dad @ Apr 11 2007, 04:41 PM)
Quote:
This is old,but it's the only one I know of, that deals with the tire issue.
Well, here is my input...

I purchased my 04 tourning with 30k miles. Never paid the front tires too much attention until a few months ago getting my oil changed, the mech said that I needed new fronts because they were bald on the inside. My g/f had always complained of how loud the road noise was in my car, but I assumed it was normal. Well After seeing how bald they were (only on the inside) I decided to get new tires, so I ordered the new Yokohama S-drive. Had all 4 tires put on with an alignment and sure enough the noise was gone and the ride was smooth as glass.

Well it has been about 2,000 miles since then and the noise is coming back. I am going to take it to nissan and see if I can have the car re-aligned and have them check the tire wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 06:46 PM
dad
Grand Touring Member

post #123 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Performance Member

That's a very informative link, although, after 20 minutes or so of reading, it still offers zero answer to what can be done to repair the "premature tire wear", pretty much just says to keep buying tires and hope Nissan will repair the problem, and now 5 years afte rthe Z was released, they have not. Soooooo, it's off to buy more new tires for me that I know they'll be crap in 10K miles, OR, get rid of the Z, which I love, and pick up something else that'll have different problems, I need a drink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #124 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:30 AM
Base Member

Caveman, don't get rid of the Z...

I had the roar problem and got it fixed. The problem is (as some of the posts say) a design flaw in the suspension that makes it impossible to adjust camber. I too was grinding through tires and alignments panicking at the thought of buying new tires every 4,000 miles thus putting myself in the poor house.

Called a local mechanic who specializes in Z's all the way back to the 240. Told him the problem, he called me back in 20 minutes and said, "You need upper control arms that let you adjust camber. He recommended, and I researched on this site the SPL Front Upper Control Arms (street spec) for $550. He installed them, did a four wheel alignment and $300 in labor later I was on the road.

It was painful having to drop a "G" to fix something that should not have needed fixing but it meant I got to keep my Z. I highly recommend the control arms. No more feathering and that was 10,000 miles ago.

"Well, I'd rather die in California than live in Arizona!" (from Arrested Development)

MODs
Current: JWT Pop Charger ▪ Nismo 18-inch Wheels ▪ Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 ▪ Hawk HPS Pads ▪ SPL Pro F/Upper Control Arms ▪ JDM Clear side markers
Planned: StopTech Rotos ▪ Plenum Spacer ▪ JDM Fairlady LED tail lights. (No body kits. Wanna keep the stock look...although I continue to be tempted)
Future: Hyperdrive ▪ Flux Capacitor ▪ Warp Core
post #125 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Performance Member

Thanks man, really never crossed my mind to get rid of the Z, I'd get a divorce from the wife before that happens Thanks for the reply, and PM. I'll look into a place locally that can do just that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #126 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 PM

So this is the best Excuse to tell my wifey, look baby my tires are fu**d its because of the suspension and stock rims are sh*t

I have to buy new coils and new rims baby lol!

I dont really care about the fethering because my Acura was bad, dropped (no camber kit) new set of tires every summer! so nothing new for me

And its cheap compare to my Ninja tires! man i pay 300$ for my rear tire and its good for 3-5K depending how i ride it

a few burnouts and my tire is gone well thats whats up when you want toys

and no kids yet so i can afford it for now.
post #127 of 130 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 07:31 AM

QUOTE (sandiegodom @ Mar 18 2008, 12:30 AM)
Quote:
Caveman, don't get rid of the Z...

I had the roar problem and got it fixed. The problem is (as some of the posts say) a design flaw in the suspension that makes it impossible to adjust camber. I too was grinding through tires and alignments panicking at the thought of buying new tires every 4,000 miles thus putting myself in the poor house.

Called a local mechanic who specializes in Z's all the way back to the 240. Told him the problem, he called me back in 20 minutes and said, "You need upper control arms that let you adjust camber. He recommended, and I researched on this site the SPL Front Upper Control Arms (street spec) for $550. He installed them, did a four wheel alignment and $300 in labor later I was on the road.

It was painful having to drop a "G" to fix something that should not have needed fixing but it meant I got to keep my Z. I highly recommend the control arms. No more feathering and that was 10,000 miles ago.

I don't want to discourage anyone from getting the upper control arms, I have them and they made a world of difference, but they did not fix my feathering problem. They did slow it down, and I think they have limited the amount of feathering to less than was happening with the stock control arms. I just put Koni SA (yellows) on this weekend to see if the rebound dampening, or lack thereof, of the stock shocks, is why my tires keep feathering.
post #128 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:07 AM

No more 'cupping', 'feathering' or unusual tire
wear on my 2005 350z after installing Stillen 'front
camber adjusters', 'rear camber adjusters', and
'rear toe arms'.

That was after the Stealer replaced the tires three
times and supposedly did an alignment. An
alignment on these Z's means toe adjustment,
that's it.

I had the shop reduce the negative camber
(front and rear). She's smooth, no more tire roar,
and using stock Bridgestone tires and rims.

She's creaking like crazy though and the steering
is very tight now. It appears that the shop didn't
apply any grease to the front ball joints. There are
no grease fittings or boots for the front ball joints.
Traded one problem for another.

post #129 of 130 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 PM

The creaking problem has been resolved. The

nuts to the upper ball joints loosened up. After

tightening the ball joints not only did the creaking

stop, but the steering centers now.

QUOTE (350zjes @ Apr 12 2008, 09:07 PM)
Quote:
No more 'cupping', 'feathering' or unusual tire
wear on my 2005 350z after installing Stillen 'front
camber adjusters', 'rear camber adjusters', and
'rear toe arms'.

That was after the Stealer replaced the tires three
times and supposedly did an alignment. An
alignment on these Z's means toe adjustment,
that's it.

I had the shop reduce the negative camber
(front and rear). She's smooth, no more tire roar,
and using stock Bridgestone tires and rims.

She's creaking like crazy though and the steering
is very tight now. It appears that the shop didn't
apply any grease to the front ball joints. There are
no grease fittings or boots for the front ball joints.
Traded one problem for another.

post #130 of 130 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 AM

how much were all those parts from stillen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement