Rear Hatch Opening Fix - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dave that was my fix you posted but after a while when it's cold it does not open like it should. I then dropped a extra penny on each side but wonder if they may make a small dent because of the added pressure.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:01 PM

There is a TSB for this. Nissan will install new spring/shocks.
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bullet...4/NTB04-042.htm
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to buzam
I have had the new "springs" put in today, although the hatch pops much more solid, the weight of the wing still keeps it from lifiting all of the way. I finally removed the weight on the underside of the hatch and all is working Grand.

I also convinced the dealer to replace my struts with the heavy duty version as when it is cold the rear struts do not hold the hatch open.

Most people will listen to your unreasonable demands, if you'll consider their unacceptable offer.

1993 300ZX NA 2+2 Glacier White 5MT (SCCA registered track car)
2003 Touring PPW 6MT Jezzy II (time to mod)
2003 Touring PPW 6MT Jezzy (RIP)

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 02:05 AM

I've had my struts replaced by Nissan before and I'm waiting on new ones to come in to replace them again. They have done the spring fix and it helped the problem with it not fully releasing but its cropped back up. I don't understand what is so difficult about building a car to not have these kind of problems...
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 PM

I'm glad I came across this thread, I just removed the weight and my hatch now pop's perfectly!
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to southgachik Send a message via Yahoo to southgachik
hmmm.. must get rid of the weight. It's so agravating when you already have a armload of stuff and have to put it down to use both hands to get the decklid open.

I've got to go back by the bodyshop anyway... something loose after rear wing installed.

"I feel the need... the need for SPEED!!!"

2005 5AT Ultra Yellow Enthusiast Z!-Marilyn
~~NISMO Exhaust, Injen CAI, JDM Techno Style Rear Wing, Gram Lights, Toyo T1R~~
~~ S2000 Shorty Antenna, 20% Tint, Eclipse AVN5435, Hawk HPS, 3M Clearbra~~

<span style="font-family:Century Gothic">
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 PM

Why is the wieght even there you think?
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 01:57 AM

Thanks for the post.

Really annoying "little" problem. i wonder if the 4 pennies will be effective for long period of time.

Will the problem reoccur? I hope not...
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:46 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Why is the wieght even there you think?

I understand that the weight is supposed to counterbalance the rear hatch. Without the weight, it would be more difficult to shut the hatch.

Problems arise if you have the "Nismo spoiler" added to the lid. This is supposed to weigh an extra 10 pounds or so. Between the extra weight of the spoiler, the weight inside the hatch, and the weaker original springs, the hatch won&#39;t pop open the way it was intended. And it won&#39;t stay open.

I found this out about a week after I bought my car during a cleaning session. Got crowned good and solid on the head when the hatch suddenly slammed down!

I would also like to remove the weight on the inside. But I&#39;m unsure of how you get the plastic liner off the inside of the hatch without damaging it. Can anyone give me some tips on this?

Thanks very much! This is a really great site and I&#39;m glad I joined up!

All best,
Joe
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I understand that the weight is supposed to counterbalance the rear hatch. Without the weight, it would be more difficult to shut the hatch.

Problems arise if you have the "Nismo spoiler" added to the lid. This is supposed to weigh an extra 10 pounds or so. Between the extra weight of the spoiler, the weight inside the hatch, and the weaker original springs, the hatch won&#39;t pop open the way it was intended. And it won&#39;t stay open.

I found this out about a week after I bought my car during a cleaning session. Got crowned good and solid on the head when the hatch suddenly slammed down!

I would also like to remove the weight on the inside. But I&#39;m unsure of how you get the plastic liner off the inside of the hatch without damaging it. Can anyone give me some tips on this?
Thanks very much! This is a really great site and I&#39;m glad I joined up!

All best,
Joe
The plastic liner pops out pretty easily. I looked at every angle before I started carefully prying it off. I popped the ends near the springs with a screwdriver, then slowly pulled the rest of the liner off, careful not to bend it. The clips are orange, I believe. The slide in sideways into the slot that is molded into the liner.

While you&#39;re doing this, you might as well take off the rear wiper. That&#39;s what I was doing originally. Got rid of the wiper, the motor, the weight, and now I have a nice, smooth window hatch.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement