2007 350z Base - Factory Stereo Upgrade - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi All -

I'm somewhat new to car audio, but I'm doing my part to get up to speed. I'm reading lots from the Tutorials / Forums, but still need some help and advice... so thanks in advance for your replies.

Goal: I'm going for good clean sound, not trying to build a competition system, piss of my neighbors, make my ears bleed, etc.

Cost: I have money, I'm willing to spend some, maybe around $1000. Again, not trying to build a competition system, just want great sound.

Initial thoughts:
  • I have an old Kenwood KAC-606 AMP (2x 50W or 1x 150W bridged) with a 10" Infinity Sub in a bandpass enclosure. This combination was extremely loud in my old Integra, people thought I had a couple of 15's in my trunk. I'd like to use the AMP, and maybe the enclosure to save money, but it's a poor fit in front of the rear strut and probably too loud. Ultimately I will probably favor replacing it. Maybe I can use the existing 10" speaker in a new sealed enclosure. Recommendations welcome.
  • Replace factory headunit with Pioneer DEH-P6900UB CD Receiver to gain iPOD functionality. Reviews on this unit are pretty good in comparison to some like models from other manufacturers.
  • The front speakers don't sound too bad to me, but then again, I've never had anything but stock speakers in my previous cars. If I replace them, I'm planning on the Polk Audio db6500 6-1/2" Component System.
  • The rear speakers suck ass and I'd like to replace them, though I've already read that this won't improve staging and is probably a waste of money. Opinions welcome. If you think I should replace the rear speakers, please recommend a set of Polks that would work.
Procedures I'm planning to use:
Seat Removal
Dash Removal & Head Unit Installation
Center Console Removal
Rear Panel Removal
Only if I'm going to replace the rear speakers or if needed to access the Bose Subwoofer Cubby behind the drivers seat. Can I just pull off the stock panel to reach that cubby without removing anything else?
Front Speaker Wire Routing Using Factory Harness & Wire Loom
In the 2007 350z, the inside part of the wiring harness is not readily accessible, but up behind the front dash. The dash looks like it might be able to be removed with 3 bolts, one near the power outlet, one under the bottom right corner, and one in the airvent leading to the door jam. Does anyone know this to be true? I have not seen instructions for the 2007. Should I be concerned about deploying my front airbag? I'd like to avoid that for obvious reasons. If I can't take off the front dash, I can still get to the inside harness, but it will be difficult at best.
Front Component Speaker & Crossover Installation
In the 2007 350z, I think the door removal instructions might be different than shown in this link. I've pulled up on the rear part of the 'armrest' on both doors and I hear it pop, but the piece doesn't want to pull out. On the drivers side, I don't have a 'plastic cup' in the door handle with a screw in the bottom, the 'plastic cup' in the door handle is 'bottomless' and goes straight through. Not sure how to get my door planels off. If/when I do get them off, I'd like to know if anyone knows if the Polk Components mentioned above will fit without spacers to avoid my windows. Also, is there room for the crossover and clearance to remount the door panels?
Install New Tweeters in Factory Tweeter Location
350z How-To's - Excellent pictures and descriptions on this page, to complement the procedures above.

Amplifiers:
I figure I'll need a 4-channel amp to run the 2 front components and 2 rears (unless I don't bother with the rear speakers), then I can use my old Kenwood to power a 10" in sub (maybe) if it will provide enough power to whatever sub I wind up with. I'd like to mount both if possible in the Bose Subwoofer Cubby behind the drivers seat. I'd like to build an amp rack in there, so if you have dimensions can you please post them? If anyone has any advice about what combination of amps to get, please share your thoughts. Or maybe I should skip the rear speakers and consolidate down to a single amp mounted under the front passenger seat to make it more accessible. Manufacturer... Kenwood, Alpine, Profile (more bang for the buck unless you have problems)... please share your experiences.

Subwoofer:
JL Sealed Enclosure (Custom Fit)
This is by far the nicest enclosure I've seen yet. A good use of the wasted space between the bulkhead and rear strut, and still leaves you room in the trunk. The box also bolts down so it's not going anywhere. Too bad this thing is $800 retail, probably $600 best price. I'm told the two 10" JLs in the box are $200/each. I think it's too much money. Anybody seen something like this for less money? Also, I probably only need 1 10" sub in the back, 2 would probably be overkill since the 350z has such a small cabin already.

Any other advice you can offer is much appreciated. Again, I plan to start purchasing and installing within the next week or so, so I will post pictures of the process for those who haven't touched their 2007's yet, and daytime pictures of the final install once complete.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
If you are looking for the cleanest sound for the Z, here is what I recommend:

Option 1
  • One 4-channel amp that can bridge to 250w RMS or more
  • One quality 10" subwoofer rated at 250-300w RMS and a 4ohm load rating
  • One pair of quality 6.5" component speakers
Toss out the rear speakers. They are not going to add any value to your system whatsoever. Take the rear channels of the amp and bridge them to power your single 10" sub. Ideally you want 50-75w RMS to the front components and at least 200w RMS to the sub. I would suggest 300w RMS to the sub if you can find an amp to do that (there are some). Install the 10" in a nice small sealed enclosure. Ideal location is the back corner which will not take up much trunk space and will provide excellent sound.

Option 2
This option is more expensive, but I thought I would throw it out anyways. The only difference here is instead of a single 4-channel amp, you will get 2 amps:
  • One 2-channel amp to power the front components
  • One mono-channel amp to power the subwoofer.
The cons of this setup are obvious: 2 amps cost more than 1.

My line of thinking is that simple is better. This will give you a clean, compact system, that will player beyond what your ears are made to handle.

If you want more specifics as far as what brands I recommend, ask away.

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 09:22 PM
N8z
Base Member

is it not possible to use the existing location of the bose sub and replace it?

...... inaccessable?????

one wish.....one Z

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 PM

Option one that toykilla suggested is the best solution. I just installed 2 10" rockford fosgate punches. I used a 4 channel rockford fosgate 1800 peak watt amp. I got the subs hooked up to the amp, and the front two speackers in the doors are amplified. The back 2 speakers and the bose sub are disconnected. The sound that comes from the front 2 speakers sounds like I am in a Imax theater. The sound is fantastic. And there is no annoying sounds coming from the back 2 speakers.

Its not competition ready but the sound quality in the car is awesome cause the subs are facing the back of the car so its like a giant box back there.

You can get a different sub and replace the bose stock 8". I thought of doing that option but I didn't want the loud sub right behind my seat hitting me in the back. Plus it is possible that the sound might be muffled alittle for the rest of the car because you sit right infront of it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 09:55 PM

One question. I have a 03 with the bose. The sub behind the driver seat, whats the biggest can i go?. I dont want a box in the back so i figured i could put a better sub to replace the stock bose one. good idea?.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 PM
N8z
Base Member

sames... i am gettin an 07.... i want to do the same. i was under the inmpression it was a 10 inch tho??

too much show in the boot = stolen

one wish.....one Z
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
Quote:
One question. I have a 03 with the bose. The sub behind the driver seat, whats the biggest can i go?. I dont want a box in the back so i figured i could put a better sub to replace the stock bose one. good idea?.
Quote:
sames... i am gettin an 07.... i want to do the same. i was under the inmpression it was a 10 inch tho??

too much show in the boot = stolen
it is an oversize 10", meaning you cant just buy a sub and drop it in. You can use that location but you will have to have a custom box made.

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 10:55 PM

I put a custom box in the back of my 03 roadster and it fit right underneath the rear strut bar. I didn't lose any cargo space at all and it was a very clean install. The subs can't be seen from the outside either which is nice.
Do the 06 and 07 350's come with 2 subs or just the one behind the driver?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for the posts... I'm going to reply to everyone at once.

TOYKILLA:
Quote:
Ideally you want 50-75w RMS to the front components and at least 200w RMS to the sub. I would suggest 300w RMS to the sub if you can find an amp to do that (there are some). Install the 10" in a nice small sealed enclosure. Ideal location is the back corner which will not take up much trunk space and will provide excellent sound.
Option 1: 'keep it simple' is definitely a good rule to live by and I'll probably go this route. I'm thinking of getting this amp: Infinity Reference 475a 4-channel It seems pretty versitile... 4x75W or 2x180W, each at 4ohms. If I sold the car I'd keep the amp and reuse it. In any case, this should very closely match the 50-75W you are quoting for the fronts, but won't quite deliver the 200-300W RMS that you are suggesting for the sub. Is this critical? Do you think I could get away with 180W to the sub? I guess it depends on the power rating of the sub, right? In my old Integra I bridged my Kenwood 2x50W to 150W for my 10" Infinity sub in a bandpass box and it was insane! I can't imagine I'll really need more than the 180W bridged this Infinity amp could provide, but I've never done a sealed box setup before. Anyways, I have done quite a bit of research and haven't seen a 4 channel yet where 2 channels will bridge to more than 200W, and the remaining 2 channels will still remain below 100W RMS. If you know of one, do post a link to it.

Option 2: still a possibility. Two amps do cost more than one, but I already have one. I can use my Kenwood 2x50W to power my fronts, and buy a mono amp as you suggested. This leads me to a new question. Let's say I got a mono amp capable of delivering 400W RMS at 4 ohms. Can I somehow 'reduce' the power delivery of that amp to say the 300W you are suggesting? I know, why would I want to spend the money on an amp capable of 400W only to deliver 300W? Simple... I can reuse the amp later on to meet the needs of many different subs.

Do share your brand recommendations, particularly for the component speakers in the doors... I want a clean fit without a lot of install hassle.

Finally, I've only seen one rear-end corner box for the 350z (click here). Is this what you would recommend?

N8Z:
Quote:
is it not possible to use the existing location of the bose sub and replace it? ...... inaccessable?????
Anything is possible. As Toykilla said though, the Bose sub is a non-standard 10" mount. To me this means a lot of potential frustration to get something standard to fit in a non-standard bracket. It's probably not worth the effort. Also as tally350 said, it'll just be pounding you in the back and might not sound as good to your passenger. Not to mention that the cubby behind the drivers seat is not a 'box', it's meant for an open air sub install than an enclosure. You might be able to build an enclosure to fit in there (maybe even for a larger speaker) but again, probably more trouble than it's worth. I also don't know yet how easy it is to access that little compartment in the first place. So I guess it depends on your goals. If it's great sound you're after, installing an open air sub in this cubby probably isn't the best solution. If you're going for a stealth install it would be perfect... and as you illuded to we definitely don't want our stuff stolen!

BUKUCUSTOMS:
Quote:
The sub behind the driver seat, whats the biggest can i go?. I dont want a box in the back so i figured i could put a better sub to replace the stock bose one. good idea?.
See my response to N8Z.

TALLY350:
Quote:
Option one that toykilla suggested is the best solution. I just installed 2 10" rockford fosgate punches. I used a 4 channel rockford fosgate 1800 peak watt amp. I got the subs hooked up to the amp, and the front two speackers in the doors are amplified. The back 2 speakers and the bose sub are disconnected. The sound that comes from the front 2 speakers sounds like I am in a Imax theater. The sound is fantastic. And there is no annoying sounds coming from the back 2 speakers.
Do you feel that your two 10" subs are too much? What kind of music do you mostly listen to? How much W RMS are going to each sub and your component speakers? What speakers did you use for your components?

Quote:
I put a custom box in the back of my 03 roadster and it fit right underneath the rear strut bar. I didn't lose any cargo space at all and it was a very clean install. The subs can't be seen from the outside either which is nice. Do the 06 and 07 350's come with 2 subs or just the one behind the driver?
I think you mean hatchback, because there is no cargo space to begin with in the roadster. ;) My guess is you have something like this (click here) or this (click here). I prefer the second link because the box is more stealth... sort of like the JL box I linked to in my first post but for a single 10" speaker instead of two. The 2007 has space for a single sub behind the driver.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 AM

I have the first one with 2 10s"
I like the second one also but I was thinking it wouldn't have been loud enough, plus I didn't want to loose that cargo area right behind the seat.

I don't think that the 2 10" are too much... I love the way it sounds inside the car, it hits nice and low.. But if your on the outside of the car its not obnoxiously loud like most cars out there. I listen to everything except country.. Techno, rap, rock etc.. The vocals that are coming from the component speakers is crisp and clear.. They are the stock bose speakers I didn't feel like I needed to get new ones cause bose makes great speakers. I'm running 250 watts to each sub with a peak of 500.. I am not 100% sure whats running to the component speakers but I think its around 75w.

Thats mine.. took the upper strut cover off to do some work..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement