Airbag ON/OFF switch - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Performance Member
 
coolcat350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to coolcat350z Send a message via MSN to coolcat350z Send a message via Yahoo to coolcat350z
(Thread Starter)
Has anyone had one of these install. I need one install but when I went to the dealership they said they never heard of it. Which is funny cause they have 06's with it already installed. Dumbasses. Anyways I need to know what part number or something. Cause I need one installed in my z soon!

2003 Nissan 350z Performance Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No more asain girl..you win!
coolcat350z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Performance Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA (USA)
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Has anyone had one of these install. I need one install but when I went to the dealership they said they never heard of it. Which is funny cause they have 06's with it already installed. Dumbasses. Anyways I need to know what part number or something. Cause I need one installed in my z soon!
Is this to just disable the passenger side airbag for a child seat? Or to disable the enitre system?

If for child seat the 06 at least does so automatically based on weight in the seat.
m1abrams is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Performance Member
 
coolcat350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to coolcat350z Send a message via MSN to coolcat350z Send a message via Yahoo to coolcat350z
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Is this to just disable the passenger side airbag for a child seat? Or to disable the enitre system?

If for child seat the 06 at least does so automatically based on weight in the seat.
ARE YOU KIDDING!? 06 does that!! how freaking awesome! Well I just got off the phone with a friend I know in the part dept @ another dealership, and he told me it was goign to cost $415 jsut for the switch and $275 for the harness. That doesn't include labor. He totalled it up @ being $2000. I was like holy crap!! I am sure I am capable of installing it myself. But he also said I would have to sign a flyer that is sent to nissan that is sent to dot to let them know my car is certified blah blah blah, Does anyone know a better route than this. And does just removing the fuse disables the air bags. Cause I could give a crap about ether one being in the car.

PS this is to get my 8 month year old in my car with a rear facing seat.

2003 Nissan 350z Performance Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No more asain girl..you win!
coolcat350z is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Grand Touring Member
 
i8acobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to i8acobra
From the NHTSA website:

"15. How do I get an on-off switch?

If you are interested in having an on-off switch installed in a vehicle you own or lease, you first need to get a copy of NHTSA's information brochure, Air Bags and On-Off Switches: Information for an Informed Decision, and the accompanying form, Request for Air Bag On-Off Switch. The brochure and request form are available at many sources, including NHTSA's web site (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov), many new car dealers, state motor vehicle departments, all AAA clubs, and many other organizations. You also can obtain them by calling NHTSA's toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. Read the brochure carefully before filling out the form; you may decide that an on-off switch is not appropriate for you. If you decide to request an on-off switch, you must fill out and submit the request form to NHTSA. The mailing address is provided on the form. You will need to certify on the request form that you have read the brochure and that you (or other occupants of your vehicle) fall into one or more of the risk groups for the air bag(s) for which you request a switch. If the form is properly and completely filled out, NHTSA will then send you an authorization letter that you can take to your dealer or repair shop."

No dealer will install a switch without the NHTSA authorization letter.

Aaron B.
'08 Mustang GT/CS
'87 Nissan Hardbody - The "Mud Mobile" (454,000 miles and still counting)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i8acobra is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Performance Member
 
coolcat350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to coolcat350z Send a message via MSN to coolcat350z Send a message via Yahoo to coolcat350z
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
From the NHTSA website:

"15. How do I get an on-off switch?

If you are interested in having an on-off switch installed in a vehicle you own or lease, you first need to get a copy of NHTSA's information brochure, Air Bags and On-Off Switches: Information for an Informed Decision, and the accompanying form, Request for Air Bag On-Off Switch. The brochure and request form are available at many sources, including NHTSA's web site (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov), many new car dealers, state motor vehicle departments, all AAA clubs, and many other organizations. You also can obtain them by calling NHTSA's toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. Read the brochure carefully before filling out the form; you may decide that an on-off switch is not appropriate for you. If you decide to request an on-off switch, you must fill out and submit the request form to NHTSA. The mailing address is provided on the form. You will need to certify on the request form that you have read the brochure and that you (or other occupants of your vehicle) fall into one or more of the risk groups for the air bag(s) for which you request a switch. If the form is properly and completely filled out, NHTSA will then send you an authorization letter that you can take to your dealer or repair shop."

No dealer will install a switch without the NHTSA authorization letter.
Well I understand that. But how are some z included with this option, when the dealership says there are no Z ever included from the factory with one? Whos is right and who is wrong. AND WHY SO MUCH FOR THIS OPTION? I would start hating my car if I can't enjoy having my daugher ride with me! Where is the fun in not being able to enjoy both of my prize poessions?

2003 Nissan 350z Performance Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No more asain girl..you win!
coolcat350z is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Performance Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA (USA)
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
ARE YOU KIDDING!? 06 does that!! how freaking awesome! Well I just got off the phone with a friend I know in the part dept @ another dealership, and he told me it was goign to cost $415 jsut for the switch and $275 for the harness. That doesn't include labor. He totalled it up @ being $2000. I was like holy crap!! I am sure I am capable of installing it myself. But he also said I would have to sign a flyer that is sent to nissan that is sent to dot to let them know my car is certified blah blah blah, Does anyone know a better route than this. And does just removing the fuse disables the air bags. Cause I could give a crap about ether one being in the car.

PS this is to get my 8 month year old in my car with a rear facing seat.
It is in the owners manual.
m1abrams is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Performance Member
 
coolcat350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to coolcat350z Send a message via MSN to coolcat350z Send a message via Yahoo to coolcat350z
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
It is in the owners manual.
Yeah which lead me to the first post above. So now I have to get approval for either a deactivation or a switch that will cost me OVer $2k. Hmmmm

2003 Nissan 350z Performance Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No more asain girl..you win!
coolcat350z is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Performance Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Northern VA (USA)
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Well I understand that. But how are some z included with this option, when the dealership says there are no Z ever included from the factory with one? Whos is right and who is wrong. AND WHY SO MUCH FOR THIS OPTION? I would start hating my car if I can't enjoy having my daugher ride with me! Where is the fun in not being able to enjoy both of my prize poessions?
Ok the issue is that it is NOT a user switch, but a sensor in the seat that detects weight and determines if the airbag should be deployed. This I believe has become a safety requirement or is about to (like the TPMS) which is why it is seen in later models and not the 03. It would be difficult to retro fit this in a system not designed for it. Also when screwing with a safety feature in a car the dealer and factory really do not want to mess with it. This is why 5-point harnesses added to a car is NOT street legal because it is not certified and tested.

That said your best option would be to find the fuse to pull. Look for a fuse with a yellow socket, i actually have not looked at my Zs fuse box yet just guessing. The standard color identifier for any airbag wiring is yellow, this is to easily identify the system.

NOTE: Messing with you airbag system can cause it to deploy, be careful and research more. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
m1abrams is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Performance Member
 
coolcat350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to coolcat350z Send a message via MSN to coolcat350z Send a message via Yahoo to coolcat350z
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Ok the issue is that it is NOT a user switch, but a sensor in the seat that detects weight and determines if the airbag should be deployed. This I believe has become a safety requirement or is about to (like the TPMS) which is why it is seen in later models and not the 03. It would be difficult to retro fit this in a system not designed for it. Also when screwing with a safety feature in a car the dealer and factory really do not want to mess with it. This is why 5-point harnesses added to a car is NOT street legal because it is not certified and tested.

That said your best option would be to find the fuse to pull. Look for a fuse with a yellow socket, i actually have not looked at my Zs fuse box yet just guessing. The standard color identifier for any airbag wiring is yellow, this is to easily identify the system.

NOTE: Messing with you airbag system can cause it to deploy, be careful and research more. Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
Hey thanks for all the info. It's very insightful. I just now fax over a copy to get permission for the on-off switch installed. And hope I can do some research and find the switch cheaper some where else other than the dealership. And luckily I am partners with a shop so I can technically install it myself. From what I all read, it doesn't matter really who installs as long it's a mechanic from a shop or dealership. Then they sign off the form and mail it in. In the mean time I want to pull the fuse. Now will the bags deploy is the million dollar question?

2003 Nissan 350z Performance Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No more asain girl..you win!
coolcat350z is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Performance Member
 
coolcat350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Warner Robins, GA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to coolcat350z Send a message via MSN to coolcat350z Send a message via Yahoo to coolcat350z
(Thread Starter)
Oh just in case anyone needed this form too. I attached it. Along with the brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SwitchRequest.pdf (210.0 KB, 1819 views)
File Type: pdf BASCCP2006CS.pdf (1.88 MB, 763 views)

2003 Nissan 350z Performance Edition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No more asain girl..you win!
coolcat350z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome