The Car PC discussion thread - Page 3 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Will the 8" screens still fit in the cubby? I haven't gotten out my ruler yet to measure the dimensions..
Not sure about the 8" you might have to fabricate something...
But even with any of the other 7" you have to fabricate a holder in the cubby...

If its an option for you, you can get a 7" motorised in-dash touchscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I think I'm also going to go the Mac Mini route. Good price, real simple, great system. I like the MacPac power cable kit, no splicing of anything for the DC-DC power! The less cutting of cords, the better (IMHO). Only real concern is heat at this point.

It looks like I'll definitely be doing a Windows setup. Vista looks like it's going to have some really nice features that will work great with a car PC. Windows Media Center looks like it'd be pretty nice for touch screen music (I know it's already out, but it's not in XP). Speech recognition would be awesome to get working and it's totally integrated in Vista, meaning I'll probably have to do a custom (or semi-custom) front end in .NET to get it to work. If I get it working, I'll definitely give everyone all the code/executables. Vista is supposed to be a lot prettier, but it'll probably just end up in a performance hit And the graphics driver in Vista is supposed to be enhanced and better. That'll be big if it works since graphics from Macs always seem so far superior to Windows. In any case, it's just software and not really a big deal at this point.

Now I just gotta figure out which monitor is going to fit nicely in the '06 cubby...
Reading MP3Car.com, many say that windows media player sucks at low resolution (which is what you will have on a 7" screen).

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 01:24 PM

vista is a waste. running a version of it currently and all it does is sap resources and i just cant help but think oh hey look microsoft decided to become more like apple good job. and ya wmp isnt the best for doing a car pc. personally id say if u have the knowledge to write the majority of ur own programs to have them the way u would like. thats what i did

post #24 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Base Member

does anyone now of a program that would work with engine management and the car pc, i want to read the gauges on the screen in the cubby and be able to tune also, sorry i'm sure this has been aske before
post #25 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Touring Member

I have Cipher for car management but the interface sucks on the little carpc.

I am not sure I understand all the talk above about splicing stuff in for power, no matter what you get you are going to need power, ground and ACC (or some other switched power depending on how complicated you decided to go). Those are the only three wires I have connected besides USB, Sound and VGA (that all CarPCs will need). For instance the M1-ATX came with the ATX PC plug and HDD power plugs and the ground/power/acc wires.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #26 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast Member

Newbie Question. Can you run different maps for your ECU through the use of an on board touch screen computer? If so that would be the shit.

Vortech 3.12, RC 550cc, Borla TD cat back with Magnaflow X-pipe/muffler, test pipes, Megan headers, Motordyne Iso thermal 5/16 plenum spacer, Utec, Fidanza flywheel, ACT clutch.
Dynojet numbers 392whp 335tq
post #27 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to NoZYet
craz33, that's an idea that has crossed my mind as well. As far as I know, none of the major ecu's allow you to switch maps by computer (although I could be wrong). However, the UTEC does have an easy, remote, way to change maps, and I imagine others do as well. If you were to play with the switch, and new a little bit about USB interfacing, it should be possible to rig a circuit to simulate the switch on the computer. No idea what this would take though, as I haven't seen the switch used. However, the beauty of the in car PC is that you could tune on the fly, by always having the PC connected to your ecu. Come to a stop, make the neccessary changes, continue on.

2010 True Red Miata Sport

From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It's not a miracle; we just decided to go. - Tom Hanks, Apollo 13.
post #28 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 04:05 PM

I was talking about Windows Media Center not Media Player. Media Center is literally just a pretty UI on top of Player with large buttons that look like they'd be convenient on a small screen. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...r/default.mspx

We'll see how it works out, and if it's too slow/too ugly, I can just use OS X and then use Parallel Desktops or something if I need nav or whatever else I can't get to work well with the Mac.
post #29 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 04:33 PM

Here's a link to the RoadRunner stuff since I hadn't seen one on this thread yet: http://guino.home.insightbb.com/roadrunner.html

Edit: I think there are a lot of broken links on that page. Sorry. Anyone have a link to some place that has the RoadRunner source code??
post #30 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Touring Member

I just go here http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=72

There is usually a sticky with the latest version right at the top.

RR is the bomb and Guino and buddies are developing their buts off, there are new features just about every month.

Also, I have attached a reg file that turns the current users default colors to amber (closed match to the Z colors I have found) if anyone is interested, you have to remove the .txt extension to run it.

I will sun be finishing my RR skin that goes with this, I don't have a sample on this computer but I will upload one tomorrow. It is about 85% done.

On another note, and probably should be in a new thread, Up Rev (the company that makes Cipher) just released an ECU flash (you have to send it in or drive there in TX) that will let you choose from three maps on the stock ECU using the cruse control buttons.

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: txt amber_color.reg.txt (1.8 KB, 105 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement