The Car PC discussion thread - Page 2 - Nissan 350Z Forum, Nissan 370Z Tech Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Grand Touring Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to serx93 Send a message via Yahoo to serx93
Quote:
I am leaning towards a Mac Mini setup. Compact, great hibernation mode, simple. I know GPS options are lacking but there are a few that are in Beta that look promising. I dont really use GPS so that is not a huge negative to me.
Just get the Intel Mac-Mini and load windows on it. Then use whatever software you want. It is dual bootable so you can boot to either Mac OS10 or XP when you boot up. The front page setup on the mac looks like it was made for a incar setup

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Just get the Intel Mac-Mini and load windows on it. Then use whatever software you want. It is dual bootable so you can boot to either Mac OS10 or XP when you boot up. The front page setup on the mac looks like it was made for a incar setup
That was my plan...

AIM: jbass350z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
That was my plan...
noob question -- what kind of power supply would we use for the mac mini? would we need a converter/inverter

post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Grand Touring Member

Send a message via AIM to serx93 Send a message via Yahoo to serx93
Quote:
That was my plan...
Damn Josh great minds really do think alike.

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"

post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Touring Member

Quote:
Just put an order in with Dynamix Computers for a 706 Touch Screen. Only to be told that they have none in stock and are not looking at manufacturing more. They have also taken the money out of my bank account and havent responded to any emails to refund my purchase.

Just an FYI to everyone.
Keep us informed on what they do, I have had no problems with them but will not continue to recommend them if they start getting sloppy.

As far as Mac Minis, there is a DC to DC PSU for them someplace, I read about it somewhere.

Chris

post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to toykilla Send a message via Yahoo to toykilla
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
noob question -- what kind of power supply would we use for the mac mini? would we need a converter/inverter
All information I have is stored in the first post of this thread including:

Power Supplies
PC: CarNetix CNX-P1290
MAC: CarNetix CNX-P1900

These are DC--->DC converters so no inverter is needed.

AIM: jbass350z

post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Just put an order in with Dynamix Computers for a 706 Touch Screen. Only to be told that they have none in stock and are not looking at manufacturing more. They have also taken the money out of my bank account and havent responded to any emails to refund my purchase.

Just an FYI to everyone.
Money has been returned to me however, it did require a couple of emails.

But they are still not producing any of these touch-screens so better start looking at either the 8" or Zenarc/Lilliput...
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:16 AM

Will the 8" screens still fit in the cubby? I haven't gotten out my ruler yet to measure the dimensions..
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:09 AM

I think I'm also going to go the Mac Mini route. Good price, real simple, great system. I like the MacPac power cable kit, no splicing of anything for the DC-DC power! The less cutting of cords, the better (IMHO). Only real concern is heat at this point.

It looks like I'll definitely be doing a Windows setup. Vista looks like it's going to have some really nice features that will work great with a car PC. Windows Media Center looks like it'd be pretty nice for touch screen music (I know it's already out, but it's not in XP). Speech recognition would be awesome to get working and it's totally integrated in Vista, meaning I'll probably have to do a custom (or semi-custom) front end in .NET to get it to work. If I get it working, I'll definitely give everyone all the code/executables. Vista is supposed to be a lot prettier, but it'll probably just end up in a performance hit And the graphics driver in Vista is supposed to be enhanced and better. That'll be big if it works since graphics from Macs always seem so far superior to Windows. In any case, it's just software and not really a big deal at this point.

Now I just gotta figure out which monitor is going to fit nicely in the '06 cubby...
post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:20 AM

Oh, and the big thing I hate about Windows (esp Vista) is that it's a veritable resource hog. Minimum system requirements: 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 15 GB free space. Recommends: 1 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and at least a 40 GB HDD.

Geez...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement